• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF comments on NAFTA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
I agree SMS-The question I hear down here quite often is what would Canadian producers be doing right now if the whole BSE situation had been reversed...I wonder if they would be taking our boxed beef and asking us to prove that our cattle are not a threat to their herd or their industry? From the Anaplas- Blue tongue history they would be doing the same thing the US producers are doing right now.......

Does Montana require animals coming from any other states into Montana to be tested for Bluetongue or Anaplas?

Bill- Not that I'm aware of-- Only import requirements concern coming from Brucellosis areas or Mexican and corriente (rodeo) stock coming in-- this is mainly because of TB... I don't know of any specific Bluetongue or Anaplas requirements- altho all cattle coming into the state need a health inspection......

What I can't understand is why Canada is expected to relax its rules on anaplas and bluetongue yet there are other States in the US that still require cattle coming from Montana to be tested for it.

Bill- I guess if Canadians have that big of concern, they shouldn't have dropped the restrictions--But politics makes strange rules-- I do know that Montana State University did several years of studies by drawing blood from herds thruout the state and all were negative........

Oldtimer said:
Bill- I guess if Canadians have that big of concern, they shouldn't have dropped the restrictions--But politics makes strange rules-- I do know that Montana State University did several years of studies by drawing blood from herds thruout the state and all were negative........

Montana is listed as a "Low Risk" state for BT. Don't know why anyone would not accept Montana cattle due to BT.

I did some checking last week about my bull who had low titres of BT. I can take him to a "Low Risk" state for 90 days then ship semen to Canada.

Oldtimer said:

I guess if Canadians have that big of concern......

Montana is listed as a "Low Risk" state for BT. Don't know why anyone would not accept Montana cattle due to BT.

I did some checking last week about my bull who had low titres of BT. I can take him to a "Low Risk" state for 90 days then ship semen to Canada.

There you go Oldtimer, you can bring Mikes bull up to your place for 90 days while he qualifes for semen to Canada seeing how there are no worries from Blue tongue in the US.

Latest posts