• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF USA to Make 2nd Appearance on RFD-TV

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam said:
Yes, Tommy and we just happen to have some US "feeder" heifers in our cow herd

I thought all Canadians were Puritans and followed all the rules? Are you saying that someone in Canada violated the import regulations and kept "feeder heifers" for herd cows :? :???: :wink: :lol: Shame- Shame..

Now do you see why we in the US have been asking for USDA to require a spaying rule in the border opening proposal...Not that we have any dishonest people down here- but someone might get the idea from the Canadians :wink:

Mike said:
Tam, I certainly detect a degree of animosity toward the US because we haven't had a indigenous case of BSE and it seems to have consumed you.

For the record: I sincerely wish that neither the US nor Canada had any BSE whatsoever, and hope that there are no more cases found by either country, ever.
I would not wish it on any cattlemen, anywhere. It can do nothing but harm the cattle/beef industry wherever they may be.

I guess I'm just tired of some US producers spouting Canada has 4 cases the US has none and the US has the safest beef in the world. Then listening to all the claims of how much better the US system is and how they test so much better and the feed bans are so much better and the firewall they have protected their herd and consumers are so much better. And how if BSE is found it won't be an issue in the US because of all the firewall that no other country has ever had in place prior to having a case of BSE.
Then I read the GAO report about the FDA handing of the US feed bans that are yet to be updated. I see the actual BSE test number and hear that the USDA is getting most of their samples from slaughter plants and not from the farms and ranches where they were recommended to get them from. and how you are years away from a National ID system that can actually find an animal. All while we are being hammered for our non compliance feed system that we proved to the OIE USDA and the NCBA is compliant with a history of inspection records that the FDA doesn't have and has be updated since it was implimented. We are being accused of deciding to reduce testing when we have tested over 2/3 of our yearly quota in the first four months of the year which are coming from where the OIE recommends they come from. Our National ID system is years ahead of anything you still talking about. And the biggest one all processed Canadian beef is tainted and unfit for human consumption and the fact is the one cow that did make it into the food chain was not processed by Canada but got through your protect the consumer firewalls and was recalled from your food chain not ours. Then Reader asked in her Owise one way why DID Canada have four cases of BSE which has been officially explained and un officially explained at least a hundred times.

And for the record I also don't want the US to have a case of BSE but look at the problems you have and ask yourself if you really think it is your firewalls and feed bans that have protected you or is it that the US surveillance program that has protected you.

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

I thought all Canadians were Puritans and followed all the rules? Are you saying that someone in Canada violated the import regulations and kept "feeder heifers" for herd cows :? :???: :wink: :lol: Shame- Shame..

Now do you see why we in the US have been asking for USDA to require a spaying rule in the border opening proposal...Not that we have any dishonest people down here- but someone might get the idea from the Canadians :wink:

Maybe it was a few of those US producer than imported them to Canada and when they got them here decided to take advantage of the good natured Canadians to make a quik buck and sell them before they were ready for slaughter. We just happen to have bought some not knowing that it was a US animal health tag in the ears until we got them home and question what the tag was. If I were you I would worry about them being taken out of the feedlots too as we all know how easy it is for the US guys to cut our countrys ID tag out of the ear don't we. :wink: They probably will see our superior genetics just going to waste and try cheat the import rules to retain them for their own herds. :lol:

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

Maybe it was a few of those US producer than imported them to Canada and when they got them here decided to take advantage of the good natured Canadians to make a quik buck and sell them before they were ready for slaughter. We just happen to have bought some not knowing that it was a US animal health tag in the ears until we got them home and question what the tag was. If I were you I would worry about them being taken out of the feedlots too as we all know how easy it is for the US guys to cut our countrys ID tag out of the ear don't we. :wink: They probably will see our superior genetics just going to waste and try cheat the import rules to retain them for their own herds. :lol:

Tam- those cattle could be considered contraband and you a coconspirator-- :wink:
But I'm sure that Big Muddy area has seen much worse in years past :)

You are right Tam- There were cattle sidetracked down here before and they will be again if we don't have the safeguards in effect- that is why I support both hot iron branding with the CAN and spaying.......I guess if feeder cattle ever go north again your tagging system will take care of you guys :roll: :???:

rancher said:
[\

Who were the experts? Show us some of their work.

Why don't you demand the same from R-Calf? Talk is cheap, from R-Calf it is mostly all worthless demagoguery. Have a great day.

agman said:
rancher said:
[\

Why don't you demand the same from R-Calf? Talk is cheap, from R-Calf it is mostly all worthless demagoguery. Have a great day.

Yes, Agman talk is cheap, yours just shows that. I do ask R-calf questions. You will have to read the others posts esp. from MRJ to get where I was coming from asking that. She demands from us, but boy we sure can't demand from her. I always have a great day.

rancher said:
agman said:
rancher said:
[\

Yes, Agman talk is cheap, yours just shows that. I do ask R-calf questions.

REsponse.. I am certain you do, that is why you are so well informed on the facts as presented by R-Calf. As I stated, demagoguery at it best from R-Calf. They tell you what you want to hear so that makes it gospel. If you really think my talk is cheap you can feel free to challenge what I post. Be a real hero now. You should have a great day because everyday is a great day. Have a good one.

Agman, I don't have a bone to pick with you. But if it makes you feel good, go ahead. I questioned R-calf on members buying cattle in Canada, I questioned R-calf on Bullard many times. You don't have a clue to what I question them on. I don't want to be a hero, I see good in both orgs., but think NCBA doesn't listen to the members enough. I think R-calf goes out on the limb since Bullard has been speaking. But do you give me credit for questioning them on things. No, be a hero and tell me again what a piss poor rancher I am, be a hero for MRJ and other NCBA followers. I get tired of her worship of NCBA, no one, no org can be perfect and she just can't see that. She demands us to back our statements but when asked to do the same of hers she runs or forgets, or is too busy. Why don't you take a coffee break, I am sure you need it after all that smart *ss remarks you make to us that believe in some of what R-calf stands for.

rancher said:
Agman, I don't have a bone to pick with you. But if it makes you feel good, go ahead. I questioned R-calf on members buying cattle in Canada, I questioned R-calf on Bullard many times. You don't have a clue to what I question them on. I don't want to be a hero, I see good in both orgs., but think NCBA doesn't listen to the members enough. I think R-calf goes out on the limb since Bullard has been speaking. But do you give me credit for questioning them on things. No, be a hero and tell me again what a p*** poor rancher I am, be a hero for MRJ and other NCBA followers. I get tired of her worship of NCBA, no one, no org can be perfect and she just can't see that. She demands us to back our statements but when asked to do the same of hers she runs or forgets, or is too busy. Why don't you take a coffee break, I am sure you need it after all that smart *ss remarks you make to us that believe in some of what R-calf stands for.

I surely do hope that ride you mentioned on another thread cheers you up and makes you more sociable!

You claim you see good in NCBA, yet rarely do anything but criticize it, while you also rarely criticize anything R-CALF does.

I have never said NCBA is perfect, which I have stated previously several times. Many of my posts are to correct mis-information others write about the organization. Others are to point out what NCBA is doing, either on the Policy/Dues side, or through the contract for Checkoff work, that ranchers, including myself, do not know enough about, partly because there are so many different projects underway at any one time.

That I don't criticize what other members support and achieve over my vote against it in NCBA meetings does not make either of us wrong, and I don't feel compelled to complain about it when there are things I disagree with. I will keep plugging away WITHIN THE ASSOCIATION to change things. Win some, lose some, it is still the best, most effective national cattle producer run org. there is, IMO.

You make me laugh when you claim I don't back my statements. Why am I held to so much higher a standard than others who post on this site, particularly those who parrot the R-CALF line? Why is my word that I have heard or read something that I do not have at hand questionned when outrageous statements by anti-NCBA people are taken as gospel? And no, I am not going to post an example of that, so get over it.

MRJ

An annual R-CALF USA fund-raiser and dinner on April 22 at Treasure Valley Livestock Auction (TVLA) in Caldwell, Idaho, generated $56,000 this year – topping last year's event by almost $17,000.

Margene Eiguren, who serves as national chair of the R-CALF USA membership committee and staffer for the Oregon Livestock Producers Association (OLPA), along with area rancher Gini Vanderpool, worked tirelessly to organize the event and keep things running smoothly all day. Other volunteers included: John and Denyse Field, Weiser, Idaho; Elaine Smith, Oregon membership Region 2 director; and Vicki Fleshman, Oregon membership Region 3 director.

A record 15 animals were donated for the rollover auction. The event also included an all-day silent auction, and a live auction of several nice items took place after dinner. Ron Davison, one of the sale barn owners, said he was proud to see the sale go so well and to witness the support for the fund-raiser by R-CALF USA members. TVLA donated half the day's commission to R-CALF USA, while the TVLA family and staff also helped by getting all the cattle straight and making sure things went smoothly.

R-CALF USA President and Co-Founder Leo McDonnell gave a rousing speech following dinner, explaining how the United States is simply keeping the Canadian border closed, just as Canada is keeping its border closed to products from other BSE-affected countries.

He also addressed how the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) would hurt U.S. cow/calf producers as it not only is a blueprint for future free trade agreements in South America, but also fails to meet the promises made to U.S. cattle producers in the 2002 passage of the Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) Act.

"We need to start getting these trade agreements right, and it needs to start with CAFTA," McDonnell said. "Obviously, if we can't get it right in CAFTA, the other trade agreements to come will be more difficult."

In the heart of cattle country, McDonnell received resounding applause when he said, "R-CALF will continue to work with large consumer groups because the producers' greatest asset is the consumer, and we need to protect that relationship."

McDonnell concluded his talk by placing the responsibility for the U.S. cattle industry into the hands of ranchers themselves.

"This is a tough business, and there are a lot of dogs after the bone, so you need to make sure your association is getting the job done," he emphasized. "What we don't need anymore are those trade associations that compromise us out of business."

"It is heartening to see such great support for R-CALF from ranchers and area businesses," said Eiguren. "Today, we can see that main-street America is more than willing to step up to the plate to support rural America. Together, we are changing the direction of the industry."

Vanderpool offered these comments: "Comparing the sale this year with last year's sale, it was very apparent that cattlemen everywhere are becoming aware of what R-CALF USA is doing for them, and they showed their gratitude by contributing an additional $17,000 to the fund-raiser this year."

Dan Arritola, of Oregon Trail Livestock Supply, said, "R-CALF USA is an organization that instead of sitting around talking about things, goes and does something about it."

Thiel Livestock of Nyssa, Ore., donated a good-looking Angus heifer to kick off the calf sale. Robert Thiel's calf was the only animal sold over and over again to raise about $15,000 of the day's total contributions. Other animals that were donated generated about $10,000 more. These donors included: Sutro-John Runkle, CC&T Scott Nicholson, Alvin Sylva, Nancy Fretwell, Jerry Miller, Grenke Bros., LU Ranch-Bill Lowery, Larry James, Richard & Margene Eiguren, White Cattle Co., John Warn, Terry Warn, and Lequerica Bros. Auctioneers for the day were Rich Pickett and Stenson Clontz who generously donated their time and expertise.

Sabino de la Concepcion and Benny Goitiondia prepared the mouth-watering pay-by-the-plate dinner. Sand Hollow Livestock and Terry Russell provided the savory meat enjoyed by the crowd during the meal.

Items including a handmade R-CALF USA Levi quilt made by Isabel Eiguren and cowboy chaps by Dave Hack were part of the auction activities. Other auction items were donated by the following: Tim Thibert, Fred and Kristie Eiguren, Homedale Farm Bureau, JR Wholesale Saddlery, Sweeny and Kendra Gillette, Oregon Trail Livestock Supply, LG Davidson & Sons, RC Bean Saddlery, Vicki Fleshman, Leo and Evey Zumstein, Bill and Justine Bade, Tim Lowery of LU Ranch, Nampa Livestock Auction, Mike and Linda Bentz, and Elaine and Mike Smith, Janice Thurman, Deb Rogers, Nita Lowry, Andrea Burch, Martin Andre, Vicki dela Concepcion, Connie Brandau, Michelle Freeman, Banner Bank, Mark and Wendy Joyce, and Jon and Sis Ostalasa.

Also available were face-value certificates for services or products from local businesses, as well as cash donations with all proceeds from those purchases and donations going to R-CALF USA. Participating businesses included: Beck's Spray Service, Energy Feeds-Keith Whittig, Simplot Grower Solutions, Tim Slaughterford, Farm & City Animal Supply, The Old Basque Inn, Easterday Transportation, LLC, Canyon Honda, Mountain View Equipment, Relaxation Station, Caba's Restaurant, Intermountain Community Bank, Ripley Doorn & Co, LLP, Uria Pump, D & B Supply, Echanis Distributing Co., Grizzley Sports, Matteson's Owyhee Motor Sales, Inc, Owyhee Auto Supply, Pipeco, Pruett's Tire, Salmon River Motors, Schlofman Tractor, Three Rivers Insurance, Price & Sons Seed, Callaway Trucking, Agri-Lines, Joyce Capital, and Nampa Ford Tractor-Ernie McNeil.

Rollover calf contributors: Treasure Valley Livestock, Richard Eiguren, Jerry Mobley, Jordan Valley Rodeo Board, Morgan Ranch, Thomas Gluch, Doug Burgess, Jimmy Thomas, Darren Frederick, Emmett Valley Livestock, James Hastings, Intermountain Community Bank, LU Ranch, Gordon King, Neil Helmick, George Bennett, Karla King, Skook Gorrell, Jack Burlile, John Duponte, Tiny Bellamy, Gary McGowen, Gene Clapier, Dan Arritola-Oregon Trail Livestock Supply, Three Rivers Insurance, Elaine & Mike Smith, Dana Rutan, Doug Rutan, Paul Jesenko, Joel Van Lith, Sweeney Gillette, Banner Bank, Lee Douglas, and M & M Feeders. M & M Feeders were the final buyers of the calf, for $1,450.

Others who donated at least $500 or more included: Jeff Peck, Terry Russell, Sweeney & Kendra Gillette, Sheephook Cattle Co., Blackstock Ranch, Jaca Livestock, Richard & Margene Eiguren, Jerry Mobley-Gini Vanderpool, Morgan Ranch, George Bennett, Dana Rutan, Nancy Fretwell, William Lowry, Thomas Gluch and Treasure Valley Livestock.

MRJ said:
rancher said:
Agman, I don't have a bone to pick with you. But if it makes you feel good, go ahead. I questioned R-calf on members buying cattle in Canada, I questioned R-calf on Bullard many times. You don't have a clue to what I question them on. I don't want to be a hero, I see good in both orgs., but think NCBA doesn't listen to the members enough. I think R-calf goes out on the limb since Bullard has been speaking. But do you give me credit for questioning them on things. No, be a hero and tell me again what a p*** poor rancher I am, be a hero for MRJ and other NCBA followers. I get tired of her worship of NCBA, no one, no org can be perfect and she just can't see that. She demands us to back our statements but when asked to do the same of hers she runs or forgets, or is too busy. Why don't you take a coffee break, I am sure you need it after all that smart *ss remarks you make to us that believe in some of what R-calf stands for.

I surely do hope that ride you mentioned on another thread cheers you up and makes you more sociable!

*I am always cheery.

You claim you see good in NCBA, yet rarely do anything but criticize it, while you also rarely criticize anything R-CALF does.

Excuse me!

I have never said NCBA is perfect, which I have stated previously several times. Many of my posts are to correct mis-information others write about the organization. Others are to point out what NCBA is doing, either on the Policy/Dues side, or through the contract for Checkoff work, that ranchers, including myself, do not know enough about, partly because there are so many different projects underway at any one time.

What has NCBA done that you don't like?

That I don't criticize what other members support and achieve over my vote against it in NCBA meetings does not make either of us wrong, and I don't feel compelled to complain about it when there are things I disagree with. I will keep plugging away WITHIN THE ASSOCIATION to change things. Win some, lose some, it is still the best, most effective national cattle producer run org. there is, IMO.

You don't criticize the other members that do things you don't vote for, but you sure criticize others that don't belong to NCBA if we differ from your opinion.

You make me laugh when you claim I don't back my statements. Why am I held to so much higher a standard than others who post on this site, particularly those who parrot the R-CALF line? Why is my word that I have heard or read something that I do not have at hand questionned when outrageous statements by anti-NCBA people are taken as gospel? And no, I am not going to post an example of that, so get over it.

Glad I got a laugh out of you. You ask for links, full news reports, facts, and don't take anything that some one else reads or has heard. I don't hold you higher, just want it to be equal. We know how you hear things, like the woman from Wyo. saying she was a r-calf member. If you were corrected it would be the holy truth to you. If you don't want to be held responsible for your words then don't except others to be for theirs.

MRJ

Taint said:
Tam said:
Mike said:
Tam, I certainly detect a degree of animosity toward the US because we haven't had a indigenous case of BSE and it seems to have consumed you.

For the record: I sincerely wish that neither the US nor Canada had any BSE whatsoever, and hope that there are no more cases found by either country, ever.
I would not wish it on any cattlemen, anywhere. It can do nothing but harm the cattle/beef industry wherever they may be.

I guess I'm just tired of US producers spouting Canada has 4 cases the US has none and the US has the safest beef in the world.

Canada HAS HAD 4 cases of BSE, and the US DOES have the safest beef in the world. Why not use this as a marketing tool? If we keep the border closed for another 10 years then we can sufficiently say that we don't have any Canadian cattle left in the US.

To bad one of the Canadian cow was in the US food chain the same place where all your world safest beef is processed. And so will hundreds of thousands of other Canadian cattle. Canada can say we may have had 4 cases but none were in the Canadian food chain. The fact that one BSE positive cow was processed into meat and mixed with other US beef calls into question just how safe your beef is to the rest of the world. That is why you lost 83% of your exports.
You may not have Canadian cattle left after ten years but will you be sure your non compliant feed system wouldn't have turned some of them into US born and bred cases.

rancher said:
MRJ said:
rancher said:

*I am always cheery.

Excuse me!

[See, you act like you should be entitled to do that which I am not!]

What has NCBA done that you don't like?

[The reluctance and initial failure to call out the people who claimed falsely that NCBA was operating the organization on Checkoff dollars, and other mis-information was disappointing to me. And, guess what? They are getting stronger on that point now! There also have been issues where I voted for or against something and "my side" lost. That is the way it is in membership run organizations, and it is ok!]

You don't criticize the other members that do things you don't vote for, but you sure criticize others that don't belong to NCBA if we differ from your opinion.

[You know well that most of my criticism is when people in or supporting R-CALF tell lies about NCBA, or when they take a path such as on the Canadian border, which I believe is very harmful to the US cattle/beef industry, in the long run. I further believe that they are wrong in claiming that the closed border is the reason, or even a large reason for high cattle prices. Many people have shown that to be unreasonable, one reason being the fact that imports are higher than ever and prices haven't dropped. The foolhardy statements on the safety of beef from Canada when their protocols are the same as ours is definitely more than a difference of opinion......it is very close to being criminal, IMO, of course! Rather like yelling fire in a crowded building when there is no fire.]

Glad I got a laugh out of you. You ask for links, full news reports, facts, and don't take anything that some one else reads or has heard. I don't hold you higher, just want it to be equal. We know how you hear things, like the woman from Wyo. saying she was a r-calf member. If you were corrected it would be the holy truth to you. If you don't want to be held responsible for your words then don't except others to be for theirs.

[Guess I'm a little slow tonight, but what you mean by "if you were corrected, it would be the holy truth to you"? You forgot to mention how seldom it is that I get any of that information for verification of what some say that I question or even am simply curious about, either! Sorry to find that you think it unreasonable that because the lady spoke very strongly in favor of R-CALF that I thought she also said she was a member. I honestly did think she said that. AFter listening again, I caught her actual words. Of course, we don't know whether she is a member or not, do we? Real serious error, I'm sure.] How many times am I expected to apologize for it?]

MRJ

MRJ

Taint said:
Tam said:
Taint said:
Canada HAS HAD 4 cases of BSE, and the US DOES have the safest beef in the world. Why not use this as a marketing tool? If we keep the border closed for another 10 years then we can sufficiently say that we don't have any Canadian cattle left in the US.

To bad one of the Canadian cow was in the US food chain the same place where all your world safest beef is processed. And so will hundreds of thousands of other Canadian cattle. Canada can say we may have had 4 cases but none were in the Canadian food chain. The fact that one BSE positive cow was processed into meat and mixed with other US beef calls into question just how safe your beef is to the rest of the world. That is why you lost 83% of your exports.
You may not have Canadian cattle left after ten years but will you be sure your non compliant feed system wouldn't have turned some of them into US born and bred cases.

If you ever listen to the "Mike and Mike In the Morning Show" you know they give out an award everyday, The [/b]JUST SHUT UP AWARD . Congrats TAM you've won again.

What is the problem can't you handle reading the truth as it doesn't match the crap R-CALF is filling your head with. :?

Latest posts