• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

RAIN, RAIN AND HEAVY RAIN!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,117
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Im thinking we wont be seeding any more crop today as we just had a monsoon move through here. Water lying every where and it is not letting up at all and they are talking up to 4 inches for this area through Sunday morning. Guess I should be breaking out the water wings for the cows because we are already wet enough here. Murgen do you want to come back and try your truck out in some of those sloughs now? :wink:
 

Shelly

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan
Our plans of seeding today got put on hold also. We sprayed two days previous to today, and had full intentions of giving 'er s*** all day seeding. Started raining earlier this morning and isn't supposed to let up till this evening. And there's good chances of rain every day for the next few days. Hubby's going to go out this afternoon and put liquid nitrogen down through his sprayer and then he won't be so heavy when he does get back to seeding. I'd like to get the rest of the cows to pasture soon or the crested wheat grass will be too far ahead of them and they won't eat it. But the fence isn't finished so they'll be here for awhile yet. I'm NOT fencing in the rain!!!
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
21,982
Reaction score
81
Location
Big Muddy valley
I would say better rain than wind. It's blowing here about 60 miles an hour with gusts to a million miles an hour. We just got a tenth of rain so are still riding bring in pairs to brand but my horse is quite goosey in this horrid wind.The cows and calves don't seem to pair up to well in the wind either.
Hope some of that rain moves to our area and lets you guys get done seeding in a timely matter as we know from last year those frosts can come early.
 

SDSteve

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Location
South Dakota
Shelly said:
Our plans of seeding today got put on hold also. We sprayed two days previous to today, and had full intentions of giving 'er s*** all day seeding. Started raining earlier this morning and isn't supposed to let up till this evening. And there's good chances of rain every day for the next few days. Hubby's going to go out this afternoon and put liquid nitrogen down through his sprayer and then he won't be so heavy when he does get back to seeding. I'd like to get the rest of the cows to pasture soon or the crested wheat grass will be too far ahead of them and they won't eat it. But the fence isn't finished so they'll be here for
awhile yet. I'm NOT fencing in the rain!!!

To hear you talk about all that rain and grass is almost too much for me. I would give my left nut about now for a good two inch rain. I am looking forward to a long summer of hauling water to pastures until the grass runs out.
 

Hanta Yo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
13
Location
South Central Montana
SDSteve,

We are finally getting some rain, a month ago a got more rain (4"+) than we did all last year! Our hearts go out to you, we hope you get something out of this cell that left us.

Shelly,
Don't let that mean 'ol hubby of yours make you walk around the fence in the rain!! We women in Coffee Shop can make some changes if we get riled up enough :wink: :wink:
 

ranchwife

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,990
Reaction score
0
Location
ennis, montana
Hanta Yo said:
SDSteve,

We are finally getting some rain, a month ago a got more rain (4"+) than we did all last year! Our hearts go out to you, we hope you get something out of this cell that left us.

Shelly,
Don't let that mean 'ol hubby of yours make you walk around the fence in the rain!! We women in Coffee Shop can make some changes if we get riled up enough :wink: :wink:

Shelly and Hanta Yo......YUP!!!!! :wink: :wink:
 

Shelly

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan
Oh, what would I do without you ladies to watch over me? :wink: It's like having internet sisters!

SDSteve, hang in there. You're days of rain will come, it's just a matter of when. We've had two or three years of drought previous to this. I can't believe green can be so vivid!
 

Hanta Yo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
13
Location
South Central Montana
Our daughter was looking over to the West, outside my kitchen window I can see a VAST of GREEN. She said, "looks just like Ireland". Think I'll take a pic and let you gals see what I see out my kitchen window!! Haven't seen this green in a looooong time, I sure hope it stays that way! Hubby and I are going to help neighbors brand tomorrow, YIPPEE!! FUN!!! Will take pics of that and maybe share with y'all.
 

Hanta Yo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
13
Location
South Central Montana
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,750
Reaction score
35
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I mentioned to someone the other day how blessed we were to have the rain and the beautiful green grass as a result. Actually, what I said was, "There are poeple in this world who expect the grass to turn green every spring. Here, we appreciate it when we get it." Shows we have more to be thankful for, right?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Faster horses said:
I mentioned to someone the other day how blessed we were to have the rain and the beautiful green grass as a result. Actually, what I said was, "There are poeple in this world who expect the grass to turn green every spring. Here, we appreciate it when we get it." Shows we have more to be thankful for, right?

How right you are FH- I am appreciative this morning...Last evening the first thunder boomer brought only about 40 drops and I was kind of in the dumps--but then after midnite another one moved in and gave a gentle rain all nite--Got up at 5 to start checking...Ended up with .3 at home on the river, but got over 1/2 an inch up on the wheat fields and pasture- maybe more on the community pasture...Looks like some of this should have got Big Muddy wet--some areas west of him on the line sound like they got an inch to inch and a half.......... :D :D :D :D
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
21,982
Reaction score
81
Location
Big Muddy valley
Yea we got a nice 4/10ths. That makes a total of 1.4 inches for the spring. It is greening up and the grass is starting to grow. Maybe this is only the begining and we will have a decent hay crop after all. west of us has been getting the big rains. The Coronach area got 2 inches last week when we got .5 inch so atleast some are getting rain. sounds like the drought is broken up in Shelly's neck of the woods.
 

BevM

Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2005
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
western SD
Say SD steve what part of the state are you in as we have been fairng pretty well for moisture and did get a little run off with teh 10 inches of after Mothers day/ We had and inch of rain just before that also. Could use somemore now for haymaking tho.
We are going to brand this weekend so maybe it will come then huh? Teh grass as growed up some but like i said will need lots more for hay.
Ok take care everyone and Shelly send the rain this way ok. :)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
We're only about .08 behind an average year- and in some close areas they are above average..But we got spoiled by all the moisture we got last year- we're 2 inches behind what we had last year up here...

But like one oldtimer told me- we can have a good year on an average or below average year if we just get it at the right time...

Weather Bureau has much of the northwest US indicated as higher than normal chances for moisture for the next 2 weeks........Hope they know what they're talking about..
 

Shelly

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan
I think we have more headed our way for tomorrow. Hubby's out seeding, I told him he couldn't come home till he actually gets rained out! It sure would be nice to get done.
 

SDSteve

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Location
South Dakota
BevM said:
Say SD steve what part of the state are you in as we have been fairng pretty well for moisture and did get a little run off with teh 10 inches of after Mothers day/ We had and inch of rain just before that also. Could use somemore now for haymaking tho.
We are going to brand this weekend so maybe it will come then huh? Teh grass as growed up some but like i said will need lots more for hay.
Ok
take care everyone and Shelly send the rain this way ok. :)
I
I live 40 miles southwest of Aberdeen. The last time we had run-off to fill up our Dugouts was spring of 2001. I know we don't know drought like you guys out west but I have several pastures with no water in them this year. Others with only one water source so the cows have to walk too far to utilize the grass the best and it shoots my rotational grazing plan all to hell too. From a farming standpoint it is nice. No turning around for mudholes and stuff. I believe rainfall for the year here has been about 3.2 inches which is close to three inches below normal already. I just got my firsts herd of cows out to grass today which is about two weeks later then usual. The cold had as much to do with that as the dryness. I like to hear about all the rain elsewhere though. I say that the rain elsewhere will at least make my cow-calf pairs worth more if I have to sell some.
 

Latest posts

Top