• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
The last couple summers have been crazy as far as moisture goes. Last summer, starting mid May and ending with the October blizzard, we had 33 inch of rain. So far, since the last week of April, we have had 14 inches of rain. In June alone, we have had right at 10 inches. The pastures and fields are as good as they could ever be. It is amazing what this part of the country can produce when it rains!

The hay and pastures looked tremendous when I went to Mobridge last week. Even with all the rain damage.

I bought 14 paid $572.50 for them one had a baby before we picked them up so we hauled 15 home. It cost $200 in fuel and snacks. Sold seven of them for $900 right when we got home. Of those another one foaled. We have one jenny left to foal in our group.They seam to be untame enough to work. They are a bit run down but I'm sure with the grass we have that will change in a hurry.

We normally get around 3" in June here - - - we got just under 9" and never had a 3 day stretch of dry so the hay fields are still standing - - - they will be a real challenge to mow but it looks like we have some dry coming and we plan on mowing after this next rain as there is a 4 day stretch forecast as dry then more rain coming back.

Good part is the hay is to where we should be able to mow one morning and bale the next afternoon. There will be a lot of it !!!!

I'm ready for some drought. Once it decided to rain it hasn't stopped. Got the first cutting of alfalfa baled 10 hours before the wet began. Now the 2nd cutting should have been laid down ten days ago. I can live with that, but the damned humidity has been insufferable. Yesterday was the worst. Was out delivering feed all day and when out of the truck you just swam to the gates. Air was that thick. Started feeling bad about 2:30 (didn't stop for lunch) so picked up a choke & puke Quickie Mart burger & ate maybe a third of it and drank a couple bottles of water. Had the AC cranked for the hour drive home & felt decent upon arrival.
Going back out today armed with a big cooler loaded with Gatorade & the boy said he'd ride along & open gates. Think he'd rather do that as mow & weedwhack. The humidity just hangs over this valley like a blanket or a fog and just won't leave. Ten miles north or south and it would reduce by 50%, but yesterday & today its just follow the valley east. If I wanted to live in a steambath I'd have moved to Grand Dad's place south of Shreveport. :evil:

We have been extremely humid here as well for the past few days. Yesterday morning was 89%. Which is very high for us. Makes you sweat a bit but good growing weather for anything green. :)

The most humidity I have ever encountered and for the longest time (that I can remember, anyway) was in Medora, ND. I was announcing a team roping there that started in the morning. The arena is down in a hole. The night before, it rained over 2". That place was like a steam bath the next morning....and I was there, and couldn't leave or get out of it in any way. Whew! That roping lasted F O R E V E R... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But. it was a roping, FH! Isn't that the very best place in the world to be, for fans? No fussing about mere details???? So I've been told when complaining of 'uncomfortable' conditions for mere spectators!

Just another rainy morning here. Not getting much, and finished up branding late calves, so now we will be wanting it a bit dryer so the hay can be cut. Mostly wild hay, and lots of clover, not as fussy as good alfalfa hay, tho we may have a little of that, too, it the bugs haven't gotten it yet.

Company (20 year old granddaughter and friend from the city) just left after a great three days 'out in the wilderness' so to speak coming from Omaha/Lincoln, with ties to family ties to NYC. Fun showing them the small town sites, sounds and fun. We did learn Sat. night that little kids' tennis shoes with the lights will 'keep on ticking' while running through impromptu water puddles for 30 minutes after a brisk shower! And little cowboys still like to run through puddles with their boots on. Mine weren't the only ones who ever did that! I'm betting those little boots fit a bit better the next day, anyway. sure was fun to watch......other parents having to deal with it!

Good time at the Belevidere fire department supper!

mrj

We've got some extra we could spare. This is what south western Manitoba looks like today. We escaped the worst of it, only got three inches or so, but south and west of us it's ugly.

http://www.brandonsun.com/multimedia/pov/265265751.html

Kato said:
We've got some extra we could spare. This is what south western Manitoba looks like today. We escaped the worst of it, only got three inches or so, but south and west of us it's ugly.

http://www.brandonsun.com/multimedia/pov/265265751.html

we were on the other side of of it and we didn't get half an inch. :?

Latest posts