• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranch horses

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ho55

Reaction score
I'm looking for some good broke ranch horses. Know of any for sale let me know. Must be able to handle a rope and travel in rough country.

Running U livestock just had a horse sale two weeks ago we went to and they had a bunch of nice horses that would fit your bill. Some sold real affordable and some were crazy high. Either way, it doesnt help you much. Sorry. The Richfield salebarn sells horses at the first sale of each month. Last wednesday they sold 15 head of loose horses that came off a dude string from Tropic. I will keep my eyes and ears open.

Thanks leanin h. I was late learning about that sale. I guess I'll see what happens next Saturday in Thermopolis Wy. At the WYO sale. They have some good started 2 yr olds. Just need something I can go to work on. All my good ones have gotten old on me way to fast. Just like my kids.

I've got a 7 year old for sale. He is a been there done that type of horse. He will buck yet, but is honest about it, and lets you know when he is about to buck. Pull him up, and he will ride off no problems.
The grandkids ride him all over too.

Looks like a nice using horse. I don't mind a honest bucker either. What are you asking?

Ho55 said:
Looks like a nice using horse. I don't mind a honest bucker either. What are you asking?

$3200. He has an awesome handle, but no sliding stop. Just something I never worked on. Kids can ride him, and he won't try anything, but he will try me, and he succeeded in bucking my father in law off, a couple months ago.

Yep, that's Frog. I have taken him about as far as I know how to.

LazyWP said:
Yep, that's Frog. I have taken him about as far as I know how to.

Did the chiropractor help with the crow hopping?

We had a little mare that loved to be roped off of but came up lame. The chiropractor helped but my daughter did a Rain drop therapy with essential oils and that really helped.

The chiropractor helps, but I have come to the conclusion that he just does it to see if he can get a way with it. If you pull him up when he first feels stiff, and get his attention, he will never buck or crow hop, if you don't... he just keeps building until he unloads you.
I have probably had more fun riding him then any other horse I have owned, but the only time I ride him any more is when I have to rope a cow. Not to fair to him to let him stand for 3 months at a time. Go catch him, stretch out a couple cows, then go put him up until the next time I need to stretch a cow.

LazyWP said:
The chiropractor helps, but I have come to the conclusion that he just does it to see if he can get a way with it. If you pull him up when he first feels stiff, and get his attention, he will never buck or crow hop, if you don't... he just keeps building until he unloads you.
I have probably had more fun riding him then any other horse I have owned, but the only time I ride him any more is when I have to rope a cow. Not to fair to him to let him stand for 3 months at a time. Go catch him, stretch out a couple cows, then go put him up until the next time I need to stretch a cow.

I must own his evil twin My "Ron" horse is a prick at times but also the funest horse I've ever had and I've got the x-rays to prove it.

Have a thurobread horse named steady gains. His daddy was heighyeid and the grandfather was storm cat.. anyone know anything about these horses?

Have a thurobread horse named steady gains. His daddy was heighyeid and the grandfather was storm cat.. anyone know anything about these horses?

Hi folks, long time no talk to anyone here; hope everyone is well today.

[email protected]: did you get any feedback on these horses as ranch horses? Really interested in learning what folks' experience is with these bloodlines as ranch horses. While I don't know much about High Yield (allbreedpedigree says he won over $1M in his career), Storm Cat was an awfully successful horse; at one point he commanded a $500,000 breeding fee and was one of the leading TB sires in the industry. He is the second dam sire to American Pharoah.

Chimenea said:

Hi folks, long time no talk to anyone here; hope everyone is well today.

[email protected]: did you get any feedback on these horses as ranch horses? Really interested in learning what folks' experience is with these bloodlines as ranch horses. While I don't know much about High Yield (allbreedpedigree says he won over $1M in his career), Storm Cat was an awfully successful horse; at one point he commanded a $500,000 breeding fee and was one of the leading TB sires in the industry. He is the second dam sire to American Pharoah.

How are you doing?

Hi, Nicky.

Thanks very much. We're doing well; my beautiful wife and children are healthy and happy, and my meds have the leukemia under control. Our oldest is formally a teenager now, and very much involved with sports at her school; her volleyball team has gone undefeated for three years. The older of the boys is turning into quite the soccer fiend, and his little brother is learning, as well. And, the baby will be two later this month, so she certainly has her own ways of keeping us busy. God continues to be far kinder to me than I deserve.

I managed to get a picture of me with our three oldest kids horseback (well, one of the boys likes his mule, so I guess horseback and muleback...) last year.

EWivQ-vBZgfbzwymXPZsSv4bOxbNmntPGMc-fHBV5ZjKE8-HDhsKoyH4HLZvKZRABx4m19UlGGzelDO-Yup4Uqaz1-Nw1uZDGoAzFHVzI1kca1IEiAlIYpUuK__tUXK5T_7IQ9l9hE84NppaSB1z37OwSFIiHsFK8i8Me4A8H13BEyGnL_aQCAwK28frmPzKxfT5id5GM9TQ7-t99pEyv5KxYP07bZbhjzvnB1oP06Ew5qDzRxZcqkdprCq95SPu-xSy66wvJxbqVVOtY4zixl_EQI96lzndCUDI_8reQbND0E5wcOfUmGKA9LMviFXrfpZu8d9GL06v_VFrgxXUT2txQi0bDNWBFqJw1sa5-RwU3jOwsKKlSZ9ivm6UVe6KhnowiPfMkflnOt95-5HWJvHiuahMklqEbSilViKU_Izf0bOlyL09XiHBHeP7v-LVaJcACBW7cEfSAcXJ4yI8g1cfLm-P9JtYfwGK7U8D4NXMzTjdMDfIorrj4xsKCcqrBVIv3eriT6MTiuWMQCceCaZMjf_FuuLG8ergviRPRXipnqBO09lEWLRCVRjMnnny7awdBg=w1024-h510-no

Foaling season started this week for us; we have a bay (maybe gray) filly and a paint colt on the ground so far, and have six more mares from which we're expecting babies this year. We have a couple young studs that we're excited about using more heavily this year, including our Real Gun son. He covered about ten mares between ours and our partner's last year, and we're pretty excited to see what that colt puts on the ground. We also will be breeding a gray homebred stud more heavily this year, after showing him then covering just a couple mares with him last year.

This is the Real Gun son:

10850223_878949692127089_429955650489588896_n.jpg

This is our homebred gray stud; he ran with a bunch of bred mares all fall at a friend's ranch, and is now back up in a pen at our place so he can cover some of our mares:

11667488_955846304437427_4936599415676407212_n.jpg

We also partnered on a young show stud with the same fellow with whom we partnered on the Real Gun stud; the colt is two this year and being fit for a May show. We're pretty excited about him, and God willing we will be breeding a couple mares this year to him (and hopefully more in the coming years). And, we're playing a little bit in the running horse world with our race bred stud; he's had two fillies run well south of the border, and we're planning to run a three year old colt of his north of the border this spring.

Calving season is year round for us, so we're always happy to find a new calf on the ground. The expansion into the Red Brangus seed stock (from being a Charbray-only operation) is going well, and both the bulls and heifers are in demand in our neck of the woods.

The bulls look like this:

40863_557161410972587_1661238820_n.jpg

11705157_965128543509203_976905012387158554_n.jpg

And their girlfriends like this:

11224690_965128433509214_5860679866597969643_n.jpg

11800465_965128673509190_8484713594790986513_n.jpg

11800591_965128540175870_7047684454000489940_n.jpg

They're a different type of cattle than what the ranch had been producing, but they're breeding and calving well, and the commercial growers in the area sure seem to like them.

In the meantime, I've managed to do a better job sharing pictures on the ranch's Facebook page, which is built exactly for that. If anyone would like to take a look, we're at http://www.facebook.com/RanchoLaChimenea/.

Latest posts