• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rancher quiz--what do you do in a situation like this?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

One time we had an old cow walking back and forth in the calving lot, looking for all the world like she had already calved. We played detective, and searched everywhere. Finally the calf was located down in the pit underneath the pipes of a cattle guard, where vehicles can get in and out of the pasture without opening a gate. It was a big sixteen-foot wide affair, and I hated the thought of getting a loader tractor to lift it up.

We used a ruler to measure, and found a spot where the pipes were about a quarter of an inch further apart than any other place. After getting a rope around both of the calf's hind feet, we started pulling him up backwards. It was a tight fit, but by turning and twisting he finally came up through the pipes. For the calf, it probably felt like he was "born again" but from my perpective, his halo wasn't too shiny. :)

That was a good story, Soapweed!

Reminds me of the time my husband rode his little Honda 110 motorcycle that he used to irrigate with, over to the neighbors. As he went across the cattleguard he noticed a movement. The neighbors weren't home, so he didn't stay, but on the way out, he investigated the 'movement' underneath the cattle guard.

Imagine his suprise when he looked under there and found a MULE!!

No kidding, one of the pack mules must have reached way under the cattleguard for some green grass and somehow got stuck. As I said, the neighbors weren't home, but we all used the same vet, a great big guy. Jack (my husband) called the vet and he came out. Together they managed to get the mule out. It took them quite awhile and were successful only because of the brute strength of the vet~

Anyway, the mule must not have been there very long, because he wasn't too bad off. A little wobbly as he staggered away, but the next day he was fine.

FH - please cut us a little slack on this question of mine, but after the Texas case, a lot of us are more than a bit confused.

TELL US THE TRUTH NOW, WAS THE MULE DEAD OR JUST "WOBBLY"? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :wink:

Usually when I get in situations like this, I just scratch my head, look at Soapweed and wait and see what he comes up with.

We took our bull skunk to our first futurity (where they buck with a dummy and compete against other bulls for points). The morning of, we went to load him and take him to the arena (pens were a little ways away). When we went to get him he had his head stuck in the panel. He was probably like that since 10 pm (and it was 7 am). We tried to put a shirt over his eyes and a rope around his horns to ease him out. That didn't work. We tried no shirt just the rope. Nope. He fought us so much that I was worried he'd either break something or have a heart attack. Ended up having to run to the office and get a hack saw. This is one of the meanest bulls I've ever known. Hot! Not this day. We had to immediatly load him and take him to buck. He was calm. So calm I thought he wouldn't buck. He did! He was awesome for 4 seconds, then got slower and slower. Ended up placing 16th out of 40. Not bad for fighting with a panel all night.

The next futurity he went to he was so mean that he forgot to buck (literally). I'm thinking of getting his head stuck in a panel everytime we take him somewhere.

I have been introduced to animals that mean then one of the small factories I used to truck for had a really nice man that owned it. He along with just about every one I knew took it upon themselves to try to get this ex Marine married and he hooked me up with his secretary.

I know Faster Horses and Jersey Lilly will not like it but the meanest things I have evewr met are females - - - I guess I just needed the right spurs dug in me though as I have been married to the same woman 32 years the 18th of this month. Can you believe she has put up with me that long??? I guess I must have some good qualities.

George said:
I have been introduced to animals that mean then one of the small factories I used to truck for had a really nice man that owned it. He along with just about every one I knew took it upon themselves to try to get this ex Marine married and he hooked me up with his secretary.

I know Faster Horses and Jersey Lilly will not like it but the meanest things I have evewr met are females - - - I guess I just needed the right spurs dug in me though as I have been married to the same woman 32 years the 18th of this month. Can you believe she has put up with me that long??? I guess I must have some good qualities.

Chew any tough hide long enough it eventually softens.

To avoid future complications I would fasten a wire cattle panel to the outside of the angle iron.

George said:

Congratulations!! 32 years is quite an accomplishment!

I think that the biggest part of my lasting 32 years is working at it (on both parts) I would love to say I'm perfect and I try to be but I have more bad spots than a barrel of rotten apples.

Another part of it was that I didn't get married untill I was 25 and had completed the Marines ( grew up a lot) - - - I was old enough to not do some of the stupid things I would have done when I was younger.

I wear a WWJD bracelet at all times and try to conduct my life as such. Just to show what a sense of humor Jesus has I did not know the bracelet had magnets in it ( my mother gave it to me) but about 30 days after I started wearing it my arthritus in my hands has gotten so much better ( both hands not just the one with the bracelet) that I could not believe it. I don't know if the bracelet, magnets, or anything else made the differance but something did.

Latest posts