• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranches

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Flying D iis a nice looking ranch... I forget how big that sucker is but it seamed huge...Just a beautiful place however, even with those buffalo running around...

Did a tour and listened to a guy say that Turner liked to say that Buffalo didn't damage riparian areas.... There was a large group of bison cows wallowing in the stream and it was torn to heck in that area... I don't think he came up to that ranch to often...

You must have been there early in Ted's ownership IL.

He tore out a bunch of fence early on, then put a whole bunch back in. I think he started putting it back in about 97-98 or so.

He found out that they won't control their own grazing like he thought they would, you witnessed that too.

I think after that experience, Ted became a little more "teachable". I have since found out that several things supposed to have been said by him, or attributed to him weren't, or were takne out of context, mis-reported, etc.

One instance was the wolf/calf study where they put the shock collars on the wolves that Ted was positive wouldn't work, but he partially funded them, and allowed them to happen on his ranch anyway. Lot's of folks think he was a big supporter of the concept, but he was opposed to it. He was painted by the researchers and local media to be a big proponent of the project, but he wasn't.

Not that he is my good buddy, nothing like that. I have found out however, that there are many people putting words in his mouth.

Badlands

This would have been fall of 96.... I think it was Bok Sowell's class I was in when we went there... I think... Hard to believe that it was almost 10 years ago.

IL Rancher said:
This would have been fall of 96.... I think it was Bok Sowell's class I was in when we went there... I think... Hard to believe that it was almost 10 years ago.

I had Bok when he was at SDSU. He was a nut but in a good way. He was a good teacher.

I took my Range classes before he came went to MSU, so never took Bok's classes, but assisted a little.

He had us grad students proctor his exams.

So, one day, I ask him, "Am I a proctorologist?" :D

Badlands

Latest posts