• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rates for renting corn/milo stalks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tenbach79

Reaction score
What's the going rate for stalk rental? We have 160 acres of milo stalks that we don't need for our own use and was thinking of renting them out. Don't really want to supply care but could. The 160 acres would be made up of two different fields with one with water and the other without. Was thinking around $20 for the ground without water and $30 for with water. One field has about 30 bushels milo acrea on the ground. Thanks for your input.

I'd say you're real close to a touch high. 12.50 to 22.50 for irrigated corn stalks here. Minimal grain to maybe 15 bushel in some hailed areas. Milo should be better feed if it isn't snowed under.

We tested the field to see if it had nitrate in it. Got stressed durning the summer, and was surprised with the results. The RFV was 200 and had around 10-12 protein and no nitrate to worry about. We took some leaves and stalks with the head to be tested. Sure didn't think it would be that high and that first field we stayed on for 45 days running 120 cows and still had some pasture left and the cows sure looked good. It had about 20-25 bushels on the ground wind blew everything over.

Around $10 here for just the stalks, that would usually include water if available. Or by the day at $.50/head.

With care is around $20 an acre or $1.00 a day.

Here we a getting around 25 days of grazing per acre out of dryland corn and around 40 on irrigated. On dryland milo usually from 35 to 40.

Usually the less you rent it for the better it is going to get taking care of. If somebody is paying a high rate they are gonna have to graze it harder to keep cost down. I know if i am paying $5 an acre and it gets muddy them will be moved before the cows that i I am paying $10 an acre.

Latest posts