• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Recruiting Trips

Help Support Ranchers.net:

You'd think she'd want to be on a competitive team with a great past as well as outstanding future......perhaps just not quite too competitive???
She had a very long talk with a former A&M graduate, that is now competing professionally, and decided A&M was not for her. Again nothing wrong with the school or program. There were dozens of schools to pick from and only 5 NCAA permitted school funded visits. Its kind of like picking replacement heifers, you have to narrow your field down by removing the ones from the pen that dont have exactly what you are looking for first. She wants to verbally commit this month as scholarships fill and schools move on to other athletes to complete their programs. Official signing is not until Feb.

Just don't see the benefits of going to school on a track scholarship and choosing a school that doesn't win. But not my decision. Hope she finds one that offers what she wants and needs. Best wishes.

As track is an olympic sport Texasbred, which school has produced more olympians that any other and, if was a country, would be in the top five gold metal countries in the world?

elwapo said:
As track is an olympic sport Texasbred, which school has produced more olympians that any other and, if was a country, would be in the top five gold metal countries in the world?

Does the school still get credit once they graduate and are "professional"?? I honestly have no idea. Years ago I'd say probably USC or UCLA. They would have been olympians regardless of the college. But we're not talking about the olympics...we're talking NCAA.

Exactly my point. My daughter sees the NCAA as a tool to get to the Olympics. She is selecting schools with 400 hurdle coaches that will get her to the next level.

elwapo said:
Exactly my point. My daughter sees the NCAA as a tool to get to the Olympics. She is selecting schools with 400 hurdle coaches that will get her to the next level.
was my daughters goal too but got she sit home the next summer watching the girls she had compeated agaist at the Olymic trials

Pole vaulting is a tough discipline to find good coaching for. Why did your daughter select WU? Did she have many other options? Pole vaulting and 400 hurdles are similar in the fact that they are both technical disciplines which limit the number competitors. From what I have learned, the colleges want scholarship athletes that can get them points in multiple events.

elwapo said:
Pole vaulting is a tough discipline to find good coaching for. Why did your daughter select WU? Did she have many other options? Pole vaulting and 400 hurdles are similar in the fact that they are both technical disciplines which limit the number competitors. From what I have learned, the colleges want scholarship athletes that can get them points in multiple events.

Sounds logical. A 400 hurdler could also compete in the 800 meter relay and the 1600 relay and should be excellent in both as they have both speed and stamina.

elwapo said:
but they also have 4 girls to every boy to make up for section 9 I think since there no girls on the football or wrestling team.

Yes there are quite a few opportunities for girls in NCAA. That is why she made the decision to go south for university. We do not have near the money spent on athletics in Canada, and certainly nothing for university income compared to the football money made in the US. The facilities at the schools i have toured absolutely blow my mind! It is clearly the best place in the world for athletic development.

Thanks JF. We are off to Great Falls in the morning to fly to Florida State. Sounds like the football game against Virginia is sold out and will be a good time.

elwapo said:
Thanks JF. We are off to Great Falls in the morning to fly to Florida State. Sounds like the football game against Virginia is sold out and will be a good time.

Have a good trip. It'll probably be in the 70's or low 80's down in Tallahassee this weekend. Take a short sleeved shirt.

Florida State was great. They treated us well and have amazing facilities and a beautiful school. You cannot beat southern hospitality!!!My daughter mentioned to one of the coached that she has never seen an alligator and within an hour they had her on a boat looking at gators. LOL. Personally i think one of them would have jumped in and wrestled one if she had asked them to, although there probably is an NCAA rule regarding alligator wrestling.
:roll: :lol:

well......... she verbally committed to Florida State. Great program, coaching, accomodations, and facilitites. Downside........ its a long dog sled ride from Medicine Hat Alberta.

elwapo said:
well......... she verbally committed to Florida State. Great program, coaching, accomodations, and facilitites. Downside........ its a long dog sled ride from Medicine Hat Alberta.

Dang...sure would have made a nice addition to the Lady Aggies.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=636849&SPID=93237&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205239536

Latest posts