• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Regulations Being Enforced

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
(WMC-TV) - Authorities carried out a raid Wednesday at the Gibson Guitar factory in downtown Memphis.

Few details were released about the raid, which was carried about by agents with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service.

Gibson has been under a cloud of suspicion because of wood that was used in some of its guitars. Gibson's factory in Nashville was raided last year because federal authorities believed some of the company's guitar parts were made from wood that was illegally cut and shipped from Madagascar.

Officials said agents were serving a search warrant as part of the ongoing investigation.

Through a window Wednesday, our cameras rolled as U.S. Fish and Wildlife agents took control of the factory floor and began to inventory stock. Meanwhile, UHaul trucks were waiting at the factory's loading dock to carry away materials.

In addition to activity in Memphis, a government spokesperson said, a similar raid was carried out Wednesday at the Nashville factory.

The factory in Memphis is closed for the day, and employees were sent home

For some reason, Tex says that existing regulations are useless, because they are not enforced, but has no problem asking people to pay more tax, to pay for additional useless regulations. :???:

Last year, on August 16, 2010, I wrote to you about my concern that the Administration's published regulatory agenda included a total of 191 planned new regulations, each of which had an estimated annual cost of $100 million or more, with some involving billions of dollars annually. In my letter, I noted that at public forums, private sector job creators were citing this regulatory agenda as one of the primary impediments to job creation, especially for small businesses. I asked that your Administration identify for Congress all of your planned new rules that would have an estimated economic impact of more than $1 billion. Unfortunately, that requested information was not provided to Congress nor to the American people.

This year the Administration's current regulatory agenda identified 219 planned new regulations that have estimated annual costs in excess of $100 million each. That's almost a 15 percent increase over last year, and appears to contradict public suggestions by the Administration this week that the regulatory burden on American job creators is scaled back.

http://www.speaker.gov/UploadedFiles/8-26-11_Letter_to_POTUS_on_Regulations.pdf

"That 219 figure just refers to the number of new rules that will have an economic impact of $100 million or more. The administration actually has 4,257 new regulatory actions in the works."

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/08/26/boehner-blasts-obama-over-increase-in-regulations/

hypocritexposer said:
For some reason, Tex says that existing regulations are useless, because they are not enforced, but has no problem asking people to pay more tax, to pay for additional useless regulations. :???:

Last year, on August 16, 2010, I wrote to you about my concern that the Administration's published regulatory agenda included a total of 191 planned new regulations, each of which had an estimated annual cost of $100 million or more, with some involving billions of dollars annually. In my letter, I noted that at public forums, private sector job creators were citing this regulatory agenda as one of the primary impediments to job creation, especially for small businesses. I asked that your Administration identify for Congress all of your planned new rules that would have an estimated economic impact of more than $1 billion. Unfortunately, that requested information was not provided to Congress nor to the American people.

This year the Administration's current regulatory agenda identified 219 planned new regulations that have estimated annual costs in excess of $100 million each. That's almost a 15 percent increase over last year, and appears to contradict public suggestions by the Administration this week that the regulatory burden on American job creators is scaled back.

http://www.speaker.gov/UploadedFiles/8-26-11_Letter_to_POTUS_on_Regulations.pdf

"That 219 figure just refers to the number of new rules that will have an economic impact of $100 million or more. The administration actually has 4,257 new regulatory actions in the works."

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/08/26/boehner-blasts-obama-over-increase-in-regulations/

No, hypo, I was talking about specific regulations that were not enforced, not all regulations.

I guess you just keep getting it wrong.

Any regulation that is not enforced is useless and I would agree with you that regulatory agencies are not enforcing many regulations, some because "it costs businesses money". And yes, I would agree with you that when we have regulatory agencies that are not doing anything, they need to be cut. We don't need useless agencies. That doesn't mean we should get rid of all agencies, it means that the people running them need to do their job or get fired. They don't need to be there just to put some political appointment in as head for a political reward. Those working in the agency do need protection when they blow the whistle on some of these political appointees.

I think the political appointees who are put as head of these do nothing agencies should pay the taxpayer back for the money they got when doing nothing.

It seems to me that republicans like to mismanage agencies like this and then cry for them to be cut when it was their political appointees who were doing the mismanaging. Yes, I think democrats do it too and their political appointees should have to pay the taxpayer back when they do the same. It is nothing less than a corrupt government abusing the power the people give it.

I don't know a lot about the Gibson deal yet but time will tell. It seems to me that if they were getting Madagascar wood illegally, it doesn't really matter how much money they lose because they didn't follow the law. That is their problem. I don't know that is the case yet, but we will see.

One thing for sure is that the judicial enforcement part on all of these cases has been lacking. I don't know if the FBI or the govt. lawyers can actually enforce the law anymore and make a case stick. The federal courts are so screwed up with the judges they have in them that stupid technical details will allow the judge to throw just about any case without regard to the overall picture. What it means is that the judicial system is not working.

Tex

Mike said:
(WMC-TV) - Authorities carried out a raid Wednesday at the Gibson Guitar factory in downtown Memphis.

Few details were released about the raid, which was carried about by agents with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service.

Gibson has been under a cloud of suspicion because of wood that was used in some of its guitars. Gibson's factory in Nashville was raided last year because federal authorities believed some of the company's guitar parts were made from wood that was illegally cut and shipped from Madagascar.

Officials said agents were serving a search warrant as part of the ongoing investigation.

Through a window Wednesday, our cameras rolled as U.S. Fish and Wildlife agents took control of the factory floor and began to inventory stock. Meanwhile, UHaul trucks were waiting at the factory's loading dock to carry away materials.

In addition to activity in Memphis, a government spokesperson said, a similar raid was carried out Wednesday at the Nashville factory.

The factory in Memphis is closed for the day, and employees were sent home

WOW! this will make me sleep bettter at night, knowing this dangerous wood is off the streets!
When and where did this become the business of the federal overnment and especially the fish cops????????

A gee-tar is a dangerous weapon. Maybe even deadlier than a Mexican truck with no brakes.... :roll:

Honestly........What a waste of resources.......

The small volume of wood that is smuggled into western countries is dwarved out of all proportion by the mass export of endangerd hardwood species by the Chinese as they continue their colonisation and exploitation of the African continent as a whole, that would be a better deployment of resources if the intention is to save the rainforests and endangered wildlife, but as we know, no government, NGO or the UN will cesure the Chinese state.

andybob said:
The small volume of wood that is smuggled into western countries is dwarved out of all proportion by the mass export of endangerd hardwood species by the Chinese as they continue their colonisation and exploitation of the African continent as a whole, that would be a better deployment of resources if the intention is to save the rainforests and endangered wildlife, but as we know, no government, NGO or the UN will cesure the Chinese state.

The way I understand this, the wood it is not illegal to obtain or possess the wood, it is the fact that it was not "processed" by Indian workers.

Looks like the Feds. are enforcing another Countries laws

hypocritexposer said:
andybob said:

The way I understand this, the wood it is not illegal to obtain or possess the wood, it is the fact that it was not "processed" by Indian workers.

International Law???????

Larrry said:
hypocritexposer said:
andybob said:

International Law???????

Don't believe so, It is only law in India, I believe.

Hmmmm.....?

It's worth pointing out that Henry E. Juszkiewicz, Gibson's Chief Executive Officer, is a donor to a couple of Republican politicians. According to the Open Secrets database, Juszkiewicz donated $2000 to Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN07) last year, as well as $1500 each to Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN). Juszkiewicz also has donated $10,000 to the Consumer Electronics Association, a PAC that contributed $92.5k to Republican candidates last year, as opposed to $72k to Democrats. (The CEA did, however, contribute more to Democrats in the 2008 election cycle.)

When warrants as ridiculous such as these are issued and executed, there appears no other reason than because the company or individual at hand is being targeted, not because there is any sort of wrongdoing. As a company, Gibson is a legendary. They've done nothing wrong, except, apparently, deigning to have a Republican CEO.

The plot thickens, however.

One of Gibson's leading competitors is C.F. Martin & Company. The C.E.O., Chris Martin IV, is a long-time Democratic supporter, with $35,400 in contributions to Democratic candidates and the DNC over the past couple of election cycles. According to C.F. Martin's catalog, several of their guitars contain "East Indian Rosewood." In case you were wondering, that is the exact same wood in at least ten of Gibson's guitars.

http://landmarkreport.com/andrew/2011/08/ceo-of-gibson-guitar-a-republican-donor/

The wood isn't dangerous. It is an ecosystem they are trying to protect with outlawing its use just like the outlawing of ivory tusks and rhino horns protects those animals.

If the Chinese are the worst offenders wouldn't that be a perfect reason for a tariff?

I would suspect they could find exactly where this wood came from with a little DNA or less sophisticated analysis, so the facts are not all the way in.

I would agree that if they are going to do this with one company, they have to do it with all. There should be no political elements to it. The law should be enforced equally and not politically.

I don't know that I would support any international law unless it was passed here also. We should be very wary of enforcing international laws where we have not explicitly agreed to do so.

There is more to this story that has to be told. As you know I am not very proud of the type of articles that make the mass media. They have much less meat in them than they need.

Some of you have made some good points that shouldn't have to be considered good points at all. These points should be established way at the front of an investigation by a competent people and should be common sense. We just don't know enough about all the facts yet.

Tex

Tex said:
The wood isn't dangerous. It is an ecosystem they are trying to protect with outlawing its use just like the outlawing of ivory tusks and rhino horns protects those animals.

Tex

was raided last year because federal authorities believed some of the company's guitar parts were made from wood that was illegally cut and shipped from Madagascar.

It is a labor issue not, an environmental/ecosystem issue.

The Justice department bullies Gibson without filing charges

The Federal Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. has suggested that the use of wood from India that is not finished by Indian workers is illegal, not because of U.S. law, but because it is the Justice Department's interpretation of a law in India. (If the same wood from the same tree was finished by Indian workers, the material would be legal.) This action was taken without the support and consent of the government in India.

http://www.gibson.com/absolutenm/templates/FeatureTemplatePressRelease.aspx?articleid=1340&zoneid=6

hypocritexposer said:
Tex said:

Tex

was raided last year because federal authorities believed some of the company's guitar parts were made from wood that was illegally cut and shipped from Madagascar.

The Federal Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. has suggested that the use of wood from India that is not finished by Indian workers is illegal, not because of U.S. law, but because it is the Justice Department's interpretation of a law in India. (If the same wood from the same tree was finished by Indian workers, the material would be legal.) This action was taken without the support and consent of the government in India.

http://www.gibson.com/absolutenm/templates/FeatureTemplatePressRelease.aspx?articleid=1340&zoneid=6

I guess we haven't really had the reasons for the raid but after reading the link you provided, if the feds didn't even file charges on the 2009 case from a former raid, there seems to be something fishy here. I sure hope the federal raiders don't end up being incompetent as it will be another in a continuation of federal incompetency issues.

Tex

I am still a little confused as to what Indians and the Indian government has to do with an island - Madagascar - which is an African island, situated in the Indian ocean.

andybob said:
I am still a little confused as to what Indians and the Indian government has to do with an island - Madagascar - which is an African island, situated in the Indian ocean.

That would really be something if it was an enforcement of an India Indian law about another country.

I am waiting to hear myself.

Tex

hypocritexposer said:
Tex said:

Tex

CHRIS DANIEL: Mr. Juszkiewicz, did an agent of the US government suggest to you that your problems would go away if you used Madagascar labor instead of American labor?

HENRY JUSZKIEWICZ: They actually wrote that in a pleading.

CHRIS DANIEL: Excuse me?

HENRY JUSKIEWICZ: They actually wrote that it a pleading.

CHRIS DANIEL: That your problems would go away if you used Madagascar labor instead of our labor?

HENRY JUSKIEWICZ: Yes

http://www.redstate.com/aglanon/2011/08/31/doj-advises-gibson-guitar-to-export-labor/

Latest posts