• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Repub Party Eating their Own..

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Again- like 2008- the Repubs don't know which way they are going and are being split apart by the shoot from the hip ideas of the radical right....

McCain refers to 'tea party hobbits,' blasts Bachmann-backed idea
By: CNN Political Producer Shannon Travis

Washington (CNN) - On the same day that House Speaker John Boehner told Republicans to "Get your asses in line" and support his debt ceiling proposal, Sen. John McCain also blasted fellow Republicans.

In a Senate floor speech laced with sarcasm and stings, the Arizona Republican aimed especially harsh fire at the tea party Wednesday.

McCain said the movement is "foolish" to think a balanced budget amendment could pass before the August 2 deadline. At one point, McCain read from an op-ed in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal. That article referred to activists as "tea party hobbits" – the little people who inhabit Middle-earth in the Lord of the Rings series.

McCain – 2008's Republican presidential nominee – also blasted as "bizarre" an idea supported by current GOP presidential candidate Michele Bachmann, though McCain did not mention her by name.

McCain's fiery language comes amid competing Democratic and Republican plans to reduce the deficit.

McCain also blasted Democrats in his speech. He called the plan from Majority Leader Harry Reid "full of smoke and mirrors," and said President Barack Obama is leading "from behind" by not offering "a specific plan that perhaps could be considered by both bodies."

"It's unfair of the president of the United States ... only to go out and give lectures and act in as partisan a fashion as I have seen in his addresses to the American people," McCain said.

When it came to the tea party, McCain was equally biting.

He said he fully supports a balanced budget amendment. But he thundered that current political realities make passing one in the near future near impossible.

"What is really amazing is that some (Senate) members are believing that we can pass a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution in this body with its present representation – and that is foolish," McCain said.

"That is worse than foolish," he continued. "That is deceiving many of our constituents."

"To hold out and say we won't agree to raising the debt limit until we pass a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution, it's unfair, it's bizarre," McCain added. "And maybe some people who have only been in this body for six or seven months or so really believe that. Others know better."

McCain did not mention which senators he was referring to. But also on Wednesday, Sens. Jim DeMint of South Carolina, Mike Lee of Utah and Rand Paul of Kentucky, tea party boosters, joined many tea party activists who rallied on Capitol Hill demanding passage of the "Cut, Cap and Balance" plan. Among other things, that proposal would cut total spending by $111 billion for fiscal year 2012 and require a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution that would cap total annual spending at 18 percent.

McCain talked about Boehner's plan and quoted the Wall St. Journal piece, which said: "The question now is whether House Republicans are going to help Mr. Boehner achieve significant progress, or in the name of the unachievable, hand Mr. Obama a victory."

McCain continued reading the article: "The idea seems to be that if the House GOP refuses to raise the debt ceiling, a default crisis or gradual government shutdown will ensue and the public will turn en masse against Barack Obama....Then Democrats would have no choice but to pass a balanced budget amendment and reform entitlements, and the tea party hobbits could return to Middle-earth...This is the kind of crack political thinking that turned Sharron Angle and Christine O'Donnell into GOP nominees. The reality is the debt limit will be raised one way or another."

Earlier in his remarks, McCain blasted a position that Rep. Bachmann supports.

Saying, "Today we are six days away from a possible default which could plunge this country into a serious crisis," McCain added: "There are those that argue somehow in a bizarre fashion that somehow we could prioritize our payments to the most urgent requirements, such as our veterans, such as Social Security."

Bachmann recently co-sponsored a bill that aims to ensure military service members receive their paychecks on time should the nation default.

McCain won re-election in last year's midterm elections after a bitter primary with former congressman J.D. Hayworth, who had some tea party support.

The nation's largest tea party group is responding to McCain.

Mark Meckler is co-founder of the Tea Party Patriots. He told CNN that many Americans support a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution – and "What Republicans should be doing is pushing all the way to the line."

As for McCain's quoting the Wall Street Journal's line about "tea party hobbits," Meckler used his own Lord of the Rings metaphor to strike back at the senator.

"Clearly he's been corrupted by the ring of power," Meckler said.

McCain? I thought he wasn't worth listening to? He's been known to "crawl in bed" with the Dems. before.

Maybe you're seeing the "eating their own", or change in the Republican party, because of the Tea Party, that you were looking for in the past.....

Oldtimer said:
Then Bush and McCain crawling in bed with Kennedy to give another amnesty was a pure farce....

...but no one has told me why the Republicans haven't done something- unless its like I believe, they are in Big Industry's and the Fatcat wealthies pockets so deep - they are dangling on those puppet strings..... :???:

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=472070#472070

And if you remember Hypocrit- with that split in the Repub party during that time they lost big time- White House and Congress...
Will history repeat itself?

Even if they are, I will bet you a nickel that they will join forces to get rid of the fake we have in office now.

But to me it is ok if their are different ideas and opinions within the a party, otherwise no one can think for themselves. They play enough follow the leader the way it is.

Oldtimer said:
And if you remember Hypocrit- with that split in the Repub party during that time they lost big time- White House and Congress...

Yes, I remember....after 2008, how could I forget how often you said, "the Republican party is dead", but the Tea Party revived them in 2010.

What McCain says is of little significance, he's the "old establishment" and is considered a RINO now.

Oldtimer said:

Otimer much like here where I live, with respect to state legislators, McCain is catering to the money. He's making it as nice as he can.

McCain is a very liberal Republican, so it is no wander the Tea Party has a different and better idea.

BRG said:
McCain is a very liberal Republican, so it is no wander the Tea Party has a different and better idea.

So will the TParty run someone against the man who chose Sarah as his running mate??????

BRG said:
TSR said:
BRG said:

So will the TParty run someone against the man who chose Sarah as his running mate??????

Who knows? I hope so.

Thanks for your reply.

My prediction is that the Repubs will again nominate a mainline candidate (like Romney, Huntsman, etc)--and the Tea Party will run someone (or two- as I see Ron Paul making another run under some party) and they will again split the vote..
A Tea Party candidate can not win in a nationwide race- and/or even as a VP running mate.... McCain had a chance until he picked Palin-- and altho she stirred up the radical right-- he lost many of the Independents, moderate Republicans, and women that were supporting him...

Anyone beats obama today.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148487/Republican-Candidate-Extends-Lead-Obama.aspx

redrobin said:
Anyone beats obama today.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148487/Republican-Candidate-Extends-Lead-Obama.aspx

Golly R robin who is this Rep. candidate beating him??? Its hard to believe that no matter who the Rep. candidate,he's going to win. What if its the most center leaning Republican-- yep, I think the poll just may have some credibility. I'm still looking for an Independent myself.

I see Oldtimer is still suffering from PDS

Oldtimer said:
My prediction is that the Repubs will again nominate a mainline candidate (like Romney, Huntsman, etc)--and the Tea Party will run someone (or two- as I see Ron Paul making another run under some party) and they will again split the vote..
A Tea Party candidate can not win in a nationwide race- and/or even as a VP running mate.... McCain had a chance until he picked Palin-- and altho she stirred up the radical right-- he lost many of the Independents, moderate Republicans, and women that were supporting him...

NBC News
updated 9/9/2008 7:15:48 PM ET 2008-09-09T23:15:48
Share Print Font: +-WASHINGTON — Republican John McCain has nearly erased Democrat Barack Obama's national lead and turned the presidential contest into a dead heat, according to the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

In that poll, Obama holds a narrow one-point lead over McCain (47-46 percent), which is down from his three-point advantage in August (45-42 percent) and six-point edge in July (47-41 percent).

The findings from this survey — which was conducted of 860 registered voters from Sept. 6-8, and which has a margin of error of plus-minus 3.3 percentage points — are consistent with other recent national polls showing the race to essentially be tied after the conventions and vice presidential selections.

Looking inside the numbers, McCain's pick of Sarah Palin as his running mate appears to have not only attracted female voters, but boosted McCain's association with changing the country's direction, and energized members of the Republican Party. Excited Republicans
In fact, the number of GOP respondents who say they're excited about McCain's candidacy is nearly three times higher than it was last month.

The poll also shows that Obama has improved his standing on some key issues, including several publically-perceived shortcomings. They include whether he would be a risky choice for president and whether he shares certain voters' values and backgrounds.

It's more evidence that this presidential contest keeps getting tighter.

."This is kind of the political equivalent of the tortoise and the hare," said Republican pollster Neil Newhouse, who conducted this survey with Democrat Peter D. Hart. "McCain continues to gain as we get closer to Election Day."

One significant shift in the poll is among women. Back in August, Obama was leading McCain by 14 points. Now his lead is just four points.

And just a month ago, McCain trailed Obama by 20 points among women ages 18 to 49. Now the Arizona Republican leads by three points.
'The Palin factor'
The pollsters attribute these shifts primarily to McCain's pick of the Alaska governor.

.."The Palin factor is remarkable," said Newhouse. "She has clearly added an excitement factor. There is no question about that."

Indeed, 34 percent of McCain voters say they're excited about his candidacy, which is up from 12 percent in August.

But Republicans still face a significant enthusiasm gap in their contest with Democrats. The percentage of Obama voters who say they're excited about his candidacy is now at 55, up nine points from last month.

Overall, 34 percent say the Palin selection makes them more likely to vote for McCain, versus 25 percent who say the opposite. Forty percent believe it doesn't make a difference.

By comparison, 24 percent say that Obama's selection of Joe Biden to be his running mate makes them more likely to vote for the Illinois Democrat in the fall, compared to 16 percent who say the pick makes them less likely to vote for him.

"Clearly, Sarah Palin has hit a gusher," said Hart. "All of these things say that her initial introduction to American has been a very solid and positive introduction."
But Hart cautioned that her boost could be fleeting.

He recalled a similar bounce after Walter Mondale unveiled Geraldine Ferraro as his running mate in 1984. "The faster they rise, the steeper they descend."

John McCain Finally Says Sarah Palin Did Not Hurt his Presidential Campaign
Symbolism as why McCain lost … the straight talk express and mavericky candidate was no where in the campaign tone.

After going in hiding since the Presidential Election night loss to Barack Obama. John McCain comes out and finally says that VP pick Sarah Palin did not hurt his Presidential bid. Really!!! McCain visited Jay Leno and The Tonight Show as his first appearance since losing his White House bid. However, his defense and personal accountability of his campaign and his handlers was less than "mavericky".

In his first interview since conceding the presidential election, John McCain said Tuesday that Sarah Palin did not damage his presidential bid and he dismissed anonymous criticism aimed at her following their crushing defeat.

"I'm so proud of her and I'm very grateful she agreed to run with me. She inspired people, she still does," McCain told Jay Leno during a "Tonight Show" interview taped for broadcast Tuesday night. "I couldn't be happier with Sarah Palin."

Asked by Leno to address griping about Palin from unidentified McCain operatives in the days following the election, the Arizona senator said, "These things happen in campaigns.

"I think I have at least a thousand, quote, top advisers," he scoffed. "A top adviser said? … I've never even heard of … a top adviser or a high-ranking Republican official."

"I'd rather be a hobbit than a troll," freshman Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said on a conference call when asked by POLITICO about McCain's remarks. "I think in reading the books, the hobbits were the heroes. They overcame great obstacles, and I think I'd rather be a hobbit than a troll."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/60151.html#ixzz1TWfNBryd

:lol: :lol:

Latest posts