• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Republicans do love the military

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
NOT!

Exerpts; link below; my emphasis.

A group of House Republicans have proposed a plan to offset the costs of relief and rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina that includes trimming military quality-of-life programs, including health care.

• Service members would be offered cash if they are willing to accept reduced health care benefits for their families. "The less comprehensive plan would encourage individuals to be more cost-conscious when purchasing health care products by including deductibles, co-payments and a maximum annual out-of-pocket expenditure limit," according to a written explanation provided by the study group. Reduced health care benefits could save $2.4 billion over 10 years.

• The three separate military exchange systems could be consolidated, saving up to $1.9 billion over 10 years, the study group says. The Army and Air Force share an exchange system, AAFES, while the Navy and Marine Corps have their own systems. "Consolidating … would eliminate inefficiencies from duplicative purchasing, different personnel departments, warehouse and inventory systems and management headquarters while retaining the current ability for service embers and their families to receive a wide selection of goods at a low price," the statement says.

The Pentagon has studied the idea of exchange consolidation for years but has been unable to overcome bureaucratic obstacles and opposition from some service officials and industry groups. Several studies of the issue also have raised questions about how much money would be saved.

The stateside system of elementary and secondary schools for military family members could be closed, saving $788 million over 10 years, the study says.
"This provision would phase out these domestic schools over time and shift these military children into the local public school systems," the study group says.

The Pentagon also has been studying this idea, but has faced strong opposition from parents of children attending the schools because public schools are seen as offering lower-quality education.

http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1117445.php

Consolidating the Exhange sytems is long over due....it will have a benificial effect of lower cost products for those serving, I stopped using the exchange when I quit smoking (18 years ago) , due to thier high costs, most enlisted joked it was the officers shopping club, out of touch and overpriced, why every exchange needs fine china and lladro, is beyond me,

The commisaries fared well until they were consolidated with the exchange system, then pretty much became about as over priced, ,,,add in the 5% surcharge and the tax benifit was gone,,,I priced out groceries at a local supermarket and the commisary, and haven't made the trip back since,,,so firing a few bureaucratic obstacles, can't hurt it much more....

I am not sure where the "stateside schools" are but this is not a new concept, ,,it has been a "hot-button" issue for many years and while some districts should be closed, (small enrollements) some should at least be evaluated for thier cost effectiveness in educating the children,,

DoD is conducting a congressionally mandated survey of more than 45,000 parents to assess the education their children receive in elementary and secondary schools on stateside military installations.

The health care option has been around for some time as well in the form of tri-care prime and other HMO options, I opt for Standard, due to unavailbility of providers in my area, but if I was in an area of more providers I could opt for Prime or other options to reduce my costs, ,,,so how is this differant? it is the same plan we are now offered, who makes these things up?

and why if they are old issues that come up all the time, and are well known by those concerned (servicemembers) WHY are the liberals all of a sudden concerned with our quality of life issues????????????

Steve said:
Consolidating the Exhange sytems is long over due....it will have a benificial effect of lower cost products for those serving, I stopped using the exchange when I quit smoking (18 years ago) , due to thier high costs, most enlisted joked it was the officers shopping club, out of touch and overpriced, why every exchange needs fine china and lladro, is beyond me,

I don't use the PX much either, but for the enlisted people it's an important part of military life. It's especially important for lower ranking soldiers without transportation to a local WalMart. You Navy guys may never have been without cars, but I know lots of young soldiers who don't have cars through basic and AIT. Not all Army posts offer public transportation to the local community.

The commisaries fared well until they were consolidated with the exchange system, then pretty much became about as over priced, ,,,add in the 5% surcharge and the tax benifit was gone,,,I priced out groceries at a local supermarket and the commisary, and haven't made the trip back since,,,so firing a few bureaucratic obstacles, can't hurt it much more....

I see. Because you don't want to use it, it should just be discarded? The commissary I use offers a 20% discount compared to the local stores. Add 5% surcharge and you still come out ahead 15%. That means something to young families. Not everything is cheaper there than WalMart, but continually paper products and frozen goods are a bargain.

I am not sure where the "stateside schools" are but this is not a new concept, ,,it has been a "hot-button" issue for many years and while some districts should be closed, (small enrollements) some should at least be evaluated for thier cost effectiveness in educating the children,,

DoD is conducting a congressionally mandated survey of more than 45,000 parents to assess the education their children receive in elementary and secondary schools on stateside military installations.

Cost effectiveness should not be the only issue here. Army children are picked up and moved about every three years, some more often, some less often. To be thrown into various school systems across the country every few years would be difficult, especially for elementary school children. Believe me, Army schools are much better than local schools in many communities across the US. And that doesn't even take into consideration the overcrowding that could be caused in local schools if Army schools are ended.

The health care option has been around for some time as well in the form of tri-care prime and other HMO options, I opt for Standard, due to unavailbility of providers in my area, but if I was in an area of more providers I could opt for Prime or other options to reduce my costs, ,,,so how is this differant? it is the same plan we are now offered, who makes these things up?

I've never seen an "option" to be paid cash for accepting reduced health care. If you have, show it to me. I think if these people get that "option" on the books it will just be a matter of time before it becomes the standard for military and retirees. We used Standard for years, too, but no doctor in my area accepts it. When my family started having some health problems, our cost share skyrocketed and we signed on for TriCare Prime and use a military facility. It's a longer drive to the doctor but, even at today's gas prices, probably worth the time.

and why if they are old issues that come up all the time, and are well known by those concerned (servicemembers) WHY are the liberals all of a sudden concerned with our quality of life issues????????????

Why does it have to be a liberal issue? This Administration has been a disaster for the US Army. It took us thirty years to get over VietNam and Bush is doing destroying the Army again. This group of Republicans wants to cut benefits to the US Army personnel while they're dying in Iraq. They want to take away the Medicare prescription benefit they promised to seniors. They want to cut into some ag programs. They want to cut education. Why? Well, we have to pay for that 5 cent gasoline in Iraq somehow. And those contractors in Iraq that have taken billions of our money and walked off of jobs, they might come back and want more. That's why.

I don't use the PX much either, but for the enlisted people it's an important part of military life. It's especially important for lower ranking soldiers without transportation

There is nothing in the article saying the PXs Commisarries or anything else will be closed, the article says they are going to consolidate the two sytems into one system to eliminate overlapping supply and administative departments,,,I just hope they fire a few bureaucrats in the process.....so I'm sure the Troops in general will be still able to walk to the exchange or PX and buy some fine china and lladro....and maybe save themselves from having to buy cheap paper plates at walmart.....

I see. Because you don't want to use it, it should just be discarded?

where did I say discard the system???,,I said Fire some of the bureaucrats, then maybe the cost can go back down, thus helping the troops. IN FACT your responses have little to do with my posts,,,can you read? or is your comprehension as bad as my spelling?????

The main function of the Post exchange and commisary system was once to provide affordable products for those in service,,,,,Somewhere along the line it was hiJacked by a Bureaucrats and became an overpriced show case for high end crap, that no enlisted person could afford...if by consolidating the two systems some of these bureaucrat can be fired maybe it can be returned to a place that will actually benifit the troops...

Latest posts