• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rod just for you.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
DiamondSCattleCo wrote:
Tam wrote:
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE BESIDES BITCH AND CALL OTHER THAT TRY MAKE THINGS BETTER NAMES? Mad Mad Mad

This appears to be more than the SSGA has done for Saskatchewan cattle producers in recent years.

Just out of curiosity, I went to the SSGA website, just to see what was going on. Other than backing the TESA Environmental Stewardship stuff, just what is the SSGA doing for us? I sign onto the Alberta Beef Producer's website and I see they've sponsored stewardship, have given access to Canfax daily reports, have multiple educational initiatives, etc etc etc.

Rod

Rod are you a member of the SSGA? If you are you should be getting the magazine 6 times a year if not you get the super issue in September.
In the last year the SSGA and the SCFA have started up the Beef industry Committee which has hired Tim Highmoor from Western Beef to work as a economist on behalf of the cattlfe industry. He probably knows the CAIS program better then anyone in government and has been asked to meet with them to correct flaws in the progam. We have a land use committee that meets with Lands branch at least twice a year dealing on Crown land issues and taxation. We have people on the BIC and many CCA committees and Quality Starts Here. Carl Block past president of SSGA was instrumental in CCIA. We deal with SE on wildlife and hunting issues. A member sits on FACS and SPCA. The Brand inspection services and the SVMA. We were lead on the Corn duty case even before the cattle feeders. We supported CCIA in keeping age verification vouluntary. We lobbied on behalf of producers to keep the own use provision in on generic Ivomec. We chair the PCAP which has helped keep Sask. environmental community pro cows. They look at cows as a conservation tool rather then the problem like many other areas. PCAP also has a great education program called ECO-X that promotes sustainable use of range lands and the OWLS and COWS TOUR . They have presented these programs to thousands of kids in the prairie regions . On their second time around for some schools. We deal with water shed issues with SWA we partner to bring Cow Calf Schools , Grazing and grass programs .Native Prairie Appreciation Week every June.
Back in the 1970's the SSGA started and ran the Commercial cattle show and sale at the Agribition. World Class show now.
We do give out the Rangeland Scholarship and partner on the TESA award. Do you want me to keep going?
You get all this for a $100 membership. Sad thing is even if you don't join you still get the benefit of all the hard work the Directors and members do on your behalf.

Thanks BMR, I saw that in the other thread, but it got buried before I had a chance to respond. I appreciate seeing exactly whats being done, since the website had virtually nothing on it and we almost never see the SSGA mentioned. I am aware that the SSGA has people on various committees, but hadn't seen much of what they were actually doing besides the environmental stuff.

Rod

Big Muddy rancher said:
DiamondSCattleCo wrote:
Tam wrote:
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE BESIDES BITCH AND CALL OTHER THAT TRY MAKE THINGS BETTER NAMES? Mad Mad Mad

This appears to be more than the SSGA has done for Saskatchewan cattle producers in recent years.

Just out of curiosity, I went to the SSGA website, just to see what was going on. Other than backing the TESA Environmental Stewardship stuff, just what is the SSGA doing for us? I sign onto the Alberta Beef Producer's website and I see they've sponsored stewardship, have given access to Canfax daily reports, have multiple educational initiatives, etc etc etc.

Rod

Rod are you a member of the SSGA? If you are you should be getting the magazine 6 times a year if not you get the super issue in September.
In the last year the SSGA and the SCFA have started up the Beef industry Committee which has hired Tim Highmoor from Western Beef to work as a economist on behalf of the cattlfe industry. He probably knows the CAIS program better then anyone in government and has been asked to meet with them to correct flaws in the progam. We have a land use committee that meets with Lands branch at least twice a year dealing on Crown land issues and taxation. We have people on the BIC and many CCA committees and Quality Starts Here. Carl Block past president of SSGA was instrumental in CCIA. We deal with SE on wildlife and hunting issues. A member sits on FACS and SPCA. The Brand inspection services and the SVMA. We were lead on the Corn duty case even before the cattle feeders. We supported CCIA in keeping age verification vouluntary. We lobbied on behalf of producers to keep the own use provision in on generic Ivomec. We chair the PCAP which has helped keep Sask. environmental community pro cows. They look at cows as a conservation tool rather then the problem like many other areas. PCAP also has a great education program called ECO-X that promotes sustainable use of range lands and the OWLS and COWS TOUR . They have presented these programs to thousands of kids in the prairie regions . On their second time around for some schools. We deal with water shed issues with SWA we partner to bring Cow Calf Schools , Grazing and grass programs .Native Prairie Appreciation Week every June.
Back in the 1970's the SSGA started and ran the Commercial cattle show and sale at the Agribition. World Class show now.
We do give out the Rangeland Scholarship and partner on the TESA award. Do you want me to keep going?
You get all this for a $100 membership. Sad thing is even if you don't join you still get the benefit of all the hard work the Directors and members do on your behalf.

BMR, I applaud all your organization's work. These market power issues are hard to understand and I don't mean to be too negative about you and the good things you do. The market power plays can overtake all of the good things you might be able to do in the future with your income from cattle.

Take them seriously or you may regret it.

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Thanks BMR, I saw that in the other thread, but it got buried before I had a chance to respond. I appreciate seeing exactly whats being done, since the website had virtually nothing on it and we almost never see the SSGA mentioned. I am aware that the SSGA has people on various committees, but hadn't seen much of what they were actually doing besides the environmental stuff.

Rod
One of the problems Rod is that the SSGA has not had a very big presence north of the Yellowhead. Although I have been critical of some of the stances they have taken they do good work for the industry in Saskatchewan. Well worth the $100.

Bill said:
DiamondSCattleCo said:

Rod
One of the problems Rod is that the SSGA has not had a very big presence north of the Yellowhead. Although I have been critical of some of the stances they have taken they do good work for the industry in Saskatchewan. Well worth the $100.

Bill we recognize that we don't have good representation "North of the Yellowhead" and it is something we do have to work on. The zone around the Shellbrook area is activated now thatnk to Dr. Rothwell. We as directors all have places to run as well as attend meetings just as you do so you will understand how hard it is to get out into new areas and keep up with everything that happens day to day. We also get busy and don't promote what we have been doing enough to cattle producers.
The web site is a bit of a work in progess but if you look real good you will find the Beef industry Committee and what they do and all the other committees.

Econ101 said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
DiamondSCattleCo wrote:
Tam wrote:

Rod

BMR, I applaud all your organization's work. These market power issues are hard to understand and I don't mean to be too negative about you and the good things you do. The market power plays can overtake all of the good things you might be able to do in the future with your income from cattle.

Econ, it is great that you accept and even praise what SSGA does. FYI NCBA and the state affiliates do the exact same type of things SSGA does, and has even more areas of interest to cattle producers in which they are involved........yet you insist they are only "packer promoters". It would be great if you would avail yourself of the educational materials on the www.beefusa.org or the www.beef.org websites and learn what NCBA really is and does instead of continuing with your innacurate interpretations.

MRJ

MRJ said:
Econ101 said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
DiamondSCattleCo wrote:
Tam wrote:

Rod

Econ, it is great that you accept and even praise what SSGA does. FYI NCBA and the state affiliates do the exact same type of things SSGA does, and has even more areas of interest to cattle producers in which they are involved........yet you insist they are only "packer promoters". It would be great if you would avail yourself of the educational materials on the www.beefusa.org or the www.beef.org websites and learn what NCBA really is and does instead of continuing with your innacurate interpretations.

MRJ

MRJ, there are a lot of good things the NCBA does. It is too bad they are cancelled out by the big packer policies they support.

DiamondSCattleCo said:

Rod

Taken from the Super issue that all Producers in Sask recieve

The SSGA is represented on the following organizations and committees

Agricultural Policy Framework(APF)
Beef Cattle Research Council (BCRC)
Beef Industry Development Fund (BIDF)
Beef Information Centre (BIC)
Canadain Adaptation & Rural Development Sask. (CARDS)
Canadian Beef Export Federaltion (CBEF)
Canadian Cattlemen's Assoc. (CCA)
Canadian Western Agribition
Cattle Marketing Deduction Fund (Check-off)
Country of Origin Labeling (COOL)
Crown Land Stakeholders Forum
CWA Commercial Cattle Committee
Endangered Species Advisory Committee
Farm Animal Council of Sask. (FACS)
Farm Health and Safety Council
Grasslands National Park Management Committee
Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Program
Horned Cattle Trust
Johne's Working Group
Kyoto Protocol
Lease Appeal Board
Livestock Inspection Services
National Production Limiting Disease Committee
National Water Quality/ Nutrient Management
Strategic Plan Working Group
Prairie Conservation Action Plan (PCAP)
Prairie Diagnostic Services (PDS)
Quality Starts Here - Verified Beef Production Program (QSH)
Sask Advisory Council/ Animal Health and Human Care
Sask Agriculture Hall of Fame
Sask. Beef Development Fund
Sask. Forage Council
Sask Livestock Assoc.
Sask Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SSPCA)
Sask. Stakeholders Advisory Committee on Climate Change
Sask. Veterinary Medical Assoc. (SVMA)
Sask Water Shed Authority
University of Sask. Partners in Agriculture
Vaccine Infectious Disease Organization (VIDO)
Western Beef Development Centre (WBDC)
Wildlife/Game Advisory Committee
Farm Leaders Advisory Group (FLAG)
Livestock Traceability Roundtable
These last two are new ones that the SSGA have just joined

Just because the press releases from these Organizations and Committees don't say SSGA in them doesn't mean your producer interests weren't being protected by the SSGA Director that attends on your behalf. Add to that the meetings they have had with the Government and others pretaining to tax, land access and other industry issues. Where else can you get that kind of representation for $100. As BMR said the Web site is a work in progress and the ladies in the office are busy with industry issues on your behalf so daily updates are difficult. They put out a top notch magazine that is informative so why not show your support to the industry and these directors that represent you as a producer at all these Organizations and committees by buying a $100 membership Then you will beable to read that magazine more than once a year.

Tam said:

Oddly enough, I've never ever gotten a magazine. I get stuff from all over, including overseas breeders, but somehow I got left off the SSGA's mailing list :lol:

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Tam said:

Oddly enough, I've never ever gotten a magazine. I get stuff from all over, including overseas breeders, but somehow I got left off the SSGA's mailing list :lol:

Rod
Any producer that sells cattle in Sask. gets the super issue so if you aren't getting it and are a producer PM your Address to me or contact the Office via the SSGA web site and have yourself added to the list. We will see to it that you get the next one. If you really wanted it and were at the Agribition you could have stopped over at the booth next to the commercial cattle barns and picked one up and talked to the Directors that man the booth all week.
Check with other producers in your area and see if they got it and ask if you can see the 2005 Sept StockGrowers Super issue Magazine it is 103 pages of information including Zone and Committee reports, passed resolutions, industry updates from CCA, CFIA and others, reports from the affilitates should as Hereford, Angus, Limousin and Shorthorn, It has a Beef industry Diretory and Business directory If you want to reach the producer first hand the SSGA magazine is the place to advertize as it is the producers that recieve it. And if you want to support these director and the work they do on your behalf pay your membership and get the magaizine sent to you 6 times a year as the other five issues are full of information also. These guys represent ALL PRODUCERS NOT JUST THE PAYING ONES.

Tam said:
Any producer that sells cattle in Sask. gets the super issue so if you aren't getting it and are a producer PM your Address to me or

Odd, I just talked to the neighbors and none of them get it either lol. We've been producing cattle in Saskatchewan since the 1800s. I'll add my name on the website...

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Tam said:
Any producer that sells cattle in Sask. gets the super issue so if you aren't getting it and are a producer PM your Address to me or

Odd, I just talked to the neighbors and none of them get it either lol. We've been producing cattle in Saskatchewan since the 1800s. I'll add my name on the website...

Rod

Rod, maybe you guys aren't "Super" enough!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Either that, or you haven't been producer's long enough yet. :cry: :cry:

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Tam said:

Rod

We have the names of those producers that support all the SSGA 's hard work with their membership dollars. But we don't have access to the names of all the producers that beneifit from all the hard work that the SSGA does. With the Privacy Act that Canada has we can't access your names in any way but you directly. So Please tell your neighbors if they want to see what is being done on their behalf via a free magazine, they personally will have to provide their names to the SSGA office. If any of your neighbors care to show support for all of the hard work these directors do on their behalf a membership is only $100 per year

Mike said:
Any producer that sells cattle in Sask. gets the super issue

So what happened to this statement Tam?

Word games again Mike :roll: All producer that sell Cattle in Sask are eligible to get the super issue. If we miss a few we are sorry but If there was some way of accessing the names like the SSGA was able to before , then they would get it without any input from themselves. But since we can't All we ask of the producers in light of the Privacy Act is give us their names if we missed them. And Mike since we send out something in the ball park of 14,000 issues I think we covered at least a few of Rods neighbors.

Could be like some households where the Mrs. picks up the mail and cattle books are classed as "junk mail".

Jason said:
Could be like some households where the Mrs. picks up the mail and cattle books are classed as "junk mail".

:lol: My missus is on "you toss it, you git it outta the trash" orders after she tossed one of my Shorthorn Reports thinking it was junk mail :lol:

<chuckle> Its just an indicator of our luck that we've managed to fall through the cracks so long. I asked my grandmother and my uncle if they'd ever received anything from SSGA and they hadn't lol If we didn't have bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Jason said:

:lol: My missus is on "you toss it, you git it outta the trash" orders after she tossed one of my Shorthorn Reports thinking it was junk mail :lol:

<chuckle> Its just an indicator of our luck that we've managed to fall through the cracks so long. I asked my grandmother and my uncle if they'd ever received anything from SSGA and they hadn't lol If we didn't have bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all.

Rod
Rod we used to get a list from Ag and Food of all producers that have sold in the past year and that's who got the Super issue of the magazine. It seems strange that no one in your area has gotten the magazine. It is harded to get it to everybody now with these new privacy laws. We have to be very careful with our own membership list as well. You wouldn't believe all the requests for it from all kind of outfits. if you belong to the Shorthrn Association you should try to see if your Affiliate Director gets to more meetings as I am not sure if I have even met him. The Hereford, Angus, Galloway and Cattle breeders reps are the most active. We hardly ever see the others.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Rod we used to get a list from Ag and Food of all producers that have sold in the past year and that's who got the Super issue of the magazine.

Hmmmmm, interesting. Maybe the Sask gov't doesn't know we're here. Won't be filing THOSE income tax forms this year then :lol:

Anyway, I'm not sure how it would happen. Someone in our family has been selling livestock in Saskatchewan every year since the late 1800s. Perhaps they know we're trouble makers up here. :lol:

Rod

Latest posts