• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Romney wins Florida Bigtime

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Florida primary results: Mitt Romney wins big

By ALEXANDER BURNS | 1/31/12 4:24 PM EST Updated: 1/31/12 8:47 PM EST
TAMPA, Fla. – Mitt Romney claimed a powerful victory in Florida's presidential primary, reasserting himself as the frontrunner for his party's nomination and leaving Newt Gingrich reeling from a likely double-digit defeat and facing an uncertain path to regaining his post-South Carolina momentum.

With 55 percent of precincts reporting, Romney led Gingrich by 16 percentage points, 47 percent to 31 percent. Rick Santorum was a distant third, with 13 percent, followed by Ron Paul with 7 percent.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/72237.html#ixzz1l5oP1s1C

Exit polls: Romney wins the electability argument

By EMILY SCHULTHEIS | 1/31/12 8:34 PM EST

Mitt Romney's big victory in Florida tonight shows that he's winning the electability argument but still has trouble with the Republican Party's most conservative voters, according to exit polls.

On Romney's general-election electability, which came into question in South Carolina's exit polls, Romney came out strong today: a full 45 percent of Florida voters said their top priority was a candidate who could beat President Obama, and of those, 58 percent backed Romney. That's a full 25 points more than Gingrich, who got 33 percent; Santorum got 6 percent and Paul got 2 percent. Among those who said they wanted a "true conservative," Gingrich won with 45 percent, compared with 30 percent for Santorum, 14 percent for Paul and 10 percent for Romney.

Just 40 percent of GOP voters in Florida today said they are an evangelical or born-again Christian – a figure that's much lower than in states like South Carolina or Iowa. Gingrich won among self-described evangelical voters with 39 percent, compared with 36 percent for Romney, 19 percent for Santorum and 5 percent for Paul.

Gingrich also won among voters who described themselves as "very conservative": he had 43 percent of that group, compared with 29 percent for Romney. Romney, however, won among "somewhat conservative" voters 51 percent to 32 percent, and among "moderate or liberal" voters 59 percent to 20 percent.

Still, it's worth noting that unlike South Carolina, Florida is a closed primary – meaning only registered Republicans voted tonight.

Romney won by more than 20 points among Latinos, a group that made up a full 14 percent of Florida voters today – he got 53 percent of that important Florida voting bloc, compared with 30 percent for Gingrich, 8 percent for Santorum and 5 percent for Paul.

Romney won big among women, getting just over half of that demographic with 51 percent. Gingrich, who has struggled with this demographic in the past, was a distant second at 29 percent, followed by Santorum at 13 percent and Paul at 6 percent.

No real surprise to me- as I've said before- Romney is the only one that stands any chance of beating Obama...The rest are too far right- especially on social issues ...Apparently Florida voters agree...

And its not surprising that Newt is not getting much support from women... Most women that can think for themselves do not want a person that treats women like he does as the President...

Results for Florida Republican Primary (U.S. Presidential Primary)
Jan 31, 2012 (96% of precincts reporting)
Mitt Romney 758,425 46.6%
Newt Gingrich 518,465 31.8%
Rick Santorum 216,999 13.3%
Ron Paul 113,904 7%
Other 21,240 1.3%

considering the southern half of Florida has been taken over by retirees from the northeast.. this shouldn't have been unexpected..

but with 2174 delegates still not counted this primary is far from over..

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/primaries/delegates

Steve said:
Results for Florida Republican Primary (U.S. Presidential Primary)
Jan 31, 2012 (96% of precincts reporting)
Mitt Romney 758,425 46.6%
Newt Gingrich 518,465 31.8%
Rick Santorum 216,999 13.3%
Ron Paul 113,904 7%
Other 21,240 1.3%

considering the southern half of Florida has been taken over by retirees from the northeast.. this shouldn't have been unexpected..

but with 2174 delegates still not counted this primary is far from over..

Have you ever seen the number of immigrants in florida? I was there not long ago visiting my daughter and went several places where there was not one caucasian in the entire store.

Oldtimer said:
Most women that can think for themselves do not want a person that treats women like he does as the President...

What a laugh. That statement is so far off. Look at Bill Clinton and all his women escapades, not to mention his many rape allegations that followed him to the presidency and beyond.

Oldtimer said:
No real surprise to me- as I've said before- Romney is the only one that stands any chance of beating Obama...The rest are too far right- especially on social issues ...Apparently Florida voters agree...

And its not surprising that Newt is not getting much support from women... Most women that can think for themselves do not want a person that treats women like he does as the President...

You don't know what you want.

You didn't like Bush, who was a establishment Republican and was also considered a moderate, because he was left of the Reagan conservatives.

So you voted for obama, a far left liberal, because McCain was the same as Bush, but more liberal

and in the last couple of days, you have mentioned Paul as someone you would vote for, but now you group him in the "too far right" group, which you labelled as "radical" the other day.

I f Romney was to beat obama in Nov., you'll complain that he is an establishment Republican that practices "crony capitalism"

Which is exactly what people like Sarah Palin have been telling you, if you'd listen, for days....

the way I figure it, the US has one more election to either travel along the same road, yet maybe a little slower, or change course.

Neither Romney nor obama will change course

I have been so impressed with Santorum. He takes the high road, stands
for the same things every time...but the media will hardly give him the time
of day.

When Newt and Mitt were arguing back and forth, Santorum said, "let's
stop the bickering and stick to the issues." He has a good plan for
America, but not enough money for the long haul, I fear.

understanding original or historical meaning vs. present day meaning of liberal and conservative might help with this discussion.

perhaps wiki pages are imperfect at clarity and summing up.

also, being short on time is not ideal either.

point tho is there is some fun to be had with the deciphering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_conservatism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_liberalism

The only thing I don't like about Santorum, is something I read about him a couple weeks back, and now I can't find the link. But it stated that he was a strong supporter of HSUS when he was in the senate. If that is true, that worries me as we don't need that in the white house either.

BRG said:
The only thing I don't like about Santorum, is something I read about him a couple weeks back, and now I can't find the link. But it stated that he was a strong supporter of HSUS when he was in the senate. If that is true, that worries me as we don't need that in the white house either.

I doubt the HSUS issue is the biggest one that the US faces, at this time. :wink:

While the media spotlight has been on Florida, Paul has been waging a quieter, parallel campaign in the caucus states with contests coming up in February. Unlike Florida — which awards its 50 delegates through a winner-take-all process — many of these states distribute delegates proportionally, allowing second and third place winners to nab some of them.

The result is that the Texas congressman could end up winning more delegates over the next few weeks than anyone except Romney.

"We're in third place when it comes to delegates and that's what really counts and we're only getting started," Paul said Tuesday. "We will be spending time in the caucus states."

It's a calculated strategy designed to take advantage of new party rules that allow candidates to peel off delegates in some states even if they don't place first. Combined, Maine, Colorado and Nevada represent 88 delegates compared to the 50 at stake in Florida. A total of 1,144 delegates are needed to secure the GOP nod.

Unlike Newt Gingrich — who hewed to the most grueling schedule of the week in Florida and emerged bloodied and poorer in a distant second place, without any delegates — Paul opted against sinking the $9 million he estimates it would have taken to make a real dent in the state. Rick Santorum also campaigned in Florida — he placed third there, and his campaign argued that it would have been a big mistake not to compete — though he abandoned his efforts there at the end of last week. Santorum spent primary night in Nevada.

Paul campaign chairman Jesse Benton believes that, if the campaign plays its cards right, it has a shot at winning a majority of the delegates in Washington, Nevada, Minnesota, North Dakota, Kansas, Missouri, Louisiana, Maine and Colorado. Hawaii is another state in which Paul expects to be a top finisher.

Last Friday and Saturday, while all three of his opponents campaigned in Florida, Paul barnstormed Maine, whose caucuses begin this Saturday and are open for one week. That state offers 24 delegates, half as many Florida

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/72270.html#ixzz1l94gcUTJ

"We're in third place when it comes to delegates and that's what really counts and we're only getting started," Paul said Tuesday.

Republican Delegate Count

State totals are from The Associated Press. Totals do not include the preferences of national party leaders, who are free to support any candidate, regardless of what happens in the primaries.
Last Updated: Jan. 22

71 Mitt Romney

23 Newt Gingrich

13 Rick Santorum

3 Ron Paul

2 Jon Huntsman
1144 delegates needed to win nomination

no, Paul is in fourth place..

agree with Paul on military and foreign policy. Stop running wars, stop sticking nose in where it is not wanted, stop overthrowing governments, stop having the military industrial complex influencing foreign and military policy.

As for true conservative, the US con tradition is really 19th century liberalism - or every man for himself said the elephant as he danced among the chickens.

Traditional CANADIAN Toryism always had an element of noblesse oblige, (look it up) an element of state responsibility for public policy, a use of state power for the public good.

It was PC's that nationalized CNR, built TCA and the CBC, implemented UI, etc etc.

The social luddites that came in the last 25 years, stole public assets and privatized them - piracy on a grand scale.

Steve said:
"We're in third place when it comes to delegates and that's what really counts and we're only getting started," Paul said Tuesday.

Republican Delegate Count

State totals are from The Associated Press. Totals do not include the preferences of national party leaders, who are free to support any candidate, regardless of what happens in the primaries.
Last Updated: Jan. 22

71 Mitt Romney

23 Newt Gingrich

13 Rick Santorum

3 Ron Paul

2 Jon Huntsman
1144 delegates needed to win nomination

no, Paul is in fourth place..

I didn't post the entire article- but if you go to the link you will see maybe Ron Paul is measuring with a different stick-- just saying...........

Paul also believes arcane primary and caucus rules governing February contests work in his favor. Most of these states don't award delegates on the day they hold votes, instead apportioning delegates at local party meetings, where Paul's camp believes its superior organization can help it capture a majority that their candidate may not have won outright on election day.

I know the media is seeing it differently- and want us to see it their way also but do you trust the media.......
as far as I know the appointed delegates are free to vote for whoever they want at the convention- is that right?

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/72270_Page2.html#ixzz1l9Sh0bba

where i live, i can join each and every party, and vote for each and every candidate running for leader of their party.

here is someone talking about occupy movement and ron paul.

http://youtu.be/M3WDxof4p9Q

I don't think Santorum will be around much longer- running out of money and his very sick daughter gives him a good reason to drop out...But if he does stay in- he stands almost no chance of the nomination- but will continue to take votes away from Newt...

Don't know if Newts billionaire buddy will keep him going for too long- as the next few primaries/caucus's (especially Minnesota, Colorado, Nevada, and Michigan where they've done well before) will probably be all Romney and Paul.... Newt doesn't stand much chance of winning anything til Super Tuesday when he may be able to do good in a couple of southern states....

But I do think Paul stands a good chance of being the candidate to stay in all the way to the convention- and if there is any type of brokering to be done on the convention floor- will be holding the Aces...

Whatever the scenerio that turns out- I'll bet Obama and the D's are hoping this continues on for months with Newt and Romney doing all their dirty work of calling each other crooks- and making it a class warfare election- without them having to spend a dime... :wink: :?

Answer this Please LoneCowboy

Ron Paul's website says this

Ron Paul Supports the Military and the Military Supports Ron Paul

Now according to a website about South Carolina it says

South Carolina gets more federal dollars than most other states because it is dependent on several large military installations, including Fort Jackson, the army's largest basic training camp.

So here is my question if Ron Paul has a large military following like he claims and South Carolina has a large Military population like they claim, why did he wage a limited campaign in South Carolina and why did he take a distance 4th place with only 13% of the vote? IS he smart enough to be President if he can't win in a state that has a large population of who he claims he has the highest support from?

In Florida he didn't even campaign as it didn't seem to be worth his time. Do you want a President that thinks campaigning in any state is not worth at least a good effort? What are the citizens of that state to think when he doesn't even try to win their support? :roll: Will he take the same attitude to those US VOTERS when GOD FORBID he becomes the President?

open letter to anti ron paul evangelicals

http://www.infowars.com/an-open-letter-to-anti-ron-paul-evangelicals/

joel's blog

http://economicharmonies.wordpress.com/

lew's blog

http://blog.lewrockwell.com/

Latest posts