• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ropes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I like a 70 to 75 foot 5/16 poly rope myself. The extra length gives you that much more reach and a bigger bubble when you have a really wild and fighting cow or bull on the end of it. I've had to rope big slick bulls before that would't let me get close enough to rope them even with a rope that long until all the dogs were hanging on their heads. You can always shorten up with a long rope when you go to the branding trap. I ride alot of green colts and spoiled horses and the longer rope just gives me that much more time to try to straighten out the wrecks when and if they happen. I really like a reata to brand with if I'm riding a little better kind of horse. A guy can throw some really neat shots with one and your distance is better than with any other kind of rope I've ever used. I had an 88 footer once. It was a handful but it really threw nice.

Faster horses said:
Does a catch rope cost more than a throw rope? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Well, what do you think?

I like a longer rope myself and really like a good reata, but I get tired of holding onto them reall long ones. Especially in a branding pen. But your right, you can shorten a longer one but it's pretty hard to lengthen a short one. I guess, what ever fits the country.

wildcowcatcher said:
I like a 70 to 75 foot 5/16 poly rope myself. The extra length gives you that much more reach and a bigger bubble when you have a really wild and fighting cow or bull on the end of it. I've had to rope big slick bulls before that would't let me get close enough to rope them even with a rope that long until all the dogs were hanging on their heads. You can always shorten up with a long rope when you go to the branding trap. I ride alot of green colts and spoiled horses and the longer rope just gives me that much more time to try to straighten out the wrecks when and if they happen. I really like a reata to brand with if I'm riding a little better kind of horse. A guy can throw some really neat shots with one and your distance is better than with any other kind of rope I've ever used. I had an 88 footer once. It was a handful but it really threw nice.
Iguess thats the difference in the country and the tactics used in that country,I usuallay cant see a cow if its more than 15 ft ahead of me for the brush.When you do you flick a little loop at them tied on and hope for the best.I carry a 30 ft rope but rarly use more than 20 ft of it. I f it were not for good cur dogs we would have cattle move out ahead of us and never know they were there, I dont care how good a hand a guy is, he cant pop brush as fast as a bramah cow can.

Anyone ever tried a poly rope that had a thin line of some type of a soft metal wove in it. Years ago a friend of mine used this type of rope, and I've never seen one since. Was a good rope to use when windy. No good for heels. Well you might come up with one but hardly ever 2. It would just fold up too fast with the metal in it. It wouldn't bounce on the top of an animals head like a nylon does. The extra weight would make the loop drop over the animals nose and you had him. It was very durable and could take a lot of abuse. You could rope and drag around bulls all day and it wouldn't kink up on you. 1 rope would last for literally hundreds of head. Think it only came in 30 foot lengths.

rainie said:
Anyone ever tried a poly rope that had a thin line of some type of a soft metal wove in it. Years ago a friend of mine used this type of rope, and I've never seen one since. Was a good rope to use when windy. No good for heels. Well you might come up with one but hardly ever 2. It would just fold up too fast with the metal in it. It wouldn't bounce on the top of an animals head like a nylon does. The extra weight would make the loop drop over the animals nose and you had him. It was very durable and could take a lot of abuse. You could rope and drag around bulls all day and it wouldn't kink up on you. 1 rope would last for literally hundreds of head. Think it only came in 30 foot lengths.

I've had quite a few 3 and also 4 strand. They have little tiny lead weights hooked together in each strand to add weight. Matter of fact, there is a four strand tied on the fork of my saddle now.

Poly. Better in the wind and I like them soft. They are harder to get two hind feet with a traditional type of heel loop compared to nylon, but when they are newer and before they start to break down, they stand up pretty well. I usually have a new one at branding time.

They do break easier tho'. They feel and act a lot like the few reata's I've used.

I get mine from King's in Sheridan.

Funny, how different coils of rope made the same way act different.

I've blamed several different styles and brands for my shortcomings as a roper-alot of guys use 60 footers up here but I use a 40 most times.

You know i have heard about them ropes with the weight in them and always wanted to try one , not to toot my own horn here but i used to be able to reach out and catch somthin all day long at the end of a 40 footer with no problems so i always wanted a 60 footer with some weight to it so i could try it ha ha .

my uncle harold has got one of them leaded polys best twine he ever swung he said as them others i've got a whole 600' ft spool of that poly with the steel thread ran through it good stuff it makes the best catch ropes

If a ropes got a good feel to it anything will do.It takes alot of different ropes and different situations to figure out what you like and alot of misses before a fella figures out it usally aint the rope or the horse its the operater!! :) :) I use a nylon most of thye time any more usta to use a reata alot but seems like every time I get one finished somebody wants it so I sell it and make another with the intention to keep it but I usally sell it too so I just use a nylon as for polys a hate em they burn up to fast if you dally alot they aint that bad if your tied off though but if your working a crew and got guys wrestling they can get afull rough on your hands. I could say alot more bout ropes but it took me a hour to type this so i think I'll quit. :) :)

Heres a reata I made it was 96 foot went to a kid in Caliornia
spur1026-1.jpg

________
Jaguar Mark 1

Now there's some workmanship-King Ropes in Sheridan,Wy. has every rope known to man in their store. Rumour has it that the Mint Bar across the street serves a nice chilled Budweiser also :wink:

I'll tell you folks, someday Rawhiders rawhide work will be just about like what we talk about now, about Ortega's. Only we will probably say, "Man, Rawhiders stuff is even better than Ortega's."

By the way Rawhider, when you going to get my bosal done? :x

Dang these guys who build stuff, sure are slow!

:wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i always wanted to learn to use one of those reatas i've heard they are a little different to use but that they have a real body and lots of life in them

I have drug calves with a reata , and used one to catch horses a few times just houlihan in the corral afoot . But even draggin calves with them things you have to be pretty on top of things to not break it . That mexican fella i had workin with me he used a reata quit a bit not all the time but he would carry it alot and i seen him rope some big cows with that thing and there is an art to using one thats for sure . His dad and his grandad were charros in mexico so he knew all them fancy rope shots and tricks and could really rope , you put him horseback in the middle of a corral with a cow or calf and no matter were in the corral that cow was he had a shot he could either catch the hind feet front feet or head , and now that i think back on it i cant say as i have ever seen him miss a shot .

azcowpuncher said:
I have drug calves with a reata , and used one to catch horses a few times just houlihan in the corral afoot . But even draggin calves with them things you have to be pretty on top of things to not break it . That mexican fella i had workin with me he used a reata quit a bit not all the time but he would carry it alot and i seen him rope some big cows with that thing and there is an art to using one thats for sure . His dad and his grandad were charros in mexico so he knew all them fancy rope shots and tricks and could really rope , you put him horseback in the middle of a corral with a cow or calf and no matter were in the corral that cow was he had a shot he could either catch the hind feet front feet or head , and now that i think back on it i cant say as i have ever seen him miss a shot .
Don't you just hate people with talent? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I made one once years ago. 61 feet long.

I got it all worked down to where it felt good so while out checking on some pairs I snuck up on a calf and was just gonna heel him and then turn it loose to see how it would feel. I threw a loop at the heels of a calf and it hit the ground in front of his back feet and just kept on goin'! Panty hosed him and he let out a beller and took off, my horse threw a fit, I threw down the reata to pull his head up and when the dust settled I had a calf on the end of about 30 foot of rope and the rest in a birds nest around my horn and a whole bunch of bellerin' cranky cows. I finally got every thing freed up and the calf let loose and decided that the next time I roped something with it I was gonna pay a little more attention to what I was doin'!

They just seem to be alive. If a cloud passes over they change a little.

I had a shorter boughten one that I used to heel calves at brandin' one year. Worked real good once you got the hang of it. Got to rainin' on us at one brandin' and it kind of messed it up so I hung it up and grabbed a nylon and never used it much after that.

They are kind of fussy to get to feelin' good, to me and quite a little work.

I still think about getting another and using it in the spring at branding, but I guess I'm just too lazy and it's pretty easy to just use my poly or nylon.

But I used one enough to respect the reata and them fellers who can really make one work.

Ohh i know it i used to think i was hot **** all the time in the branding corral cause i would houlihan them calves and let them run thu the loop and then snag their hind feet and take them to the fire i used to do that all the time , and then them side arm houlihan and throw it behind ya and catch them calves hind feet , but then i worked with him and seen him throw some of them loops and i didnt think my catches were all that cool anymore ha ha . But i have to admit i can throw a hell of a houlihan and make it real perty catchin horses . I am pretty handy with a twine , i always got somthin on the end of my rope .

I use Kings ropes in 3/8 soft or xsoft 30-32 for tied on 35-45 for dallying plenty of rope as my horses get me there :wink: never broke one yet but I always try to borrow somebodys when loading critters in a trailer :lol:

Latest posts