• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

S A V Final Answer vs. Juneau 807J

Help Support Ranchers.net:

i don't think a person could go wrong with either of them, both are proven sires. i haven't had any experience with Final Answer, but i am using some Juneau sons. the daughters and grand daughters i have out of Juneau are the right kind in my opinion. good udders, good mothers, and good dispositions. Juneau proabably hasn't got the credit over the years compared to Final Answer but i think he deserves just as much. if he would've been SAV Juneau rather than OCC Juneau that proabably would be a different story :roll:

I've used neither- but my choice would be easy... I would go with Juneau- as I have quite a bit of the same genetics (Cedar Hills, RR/DHD, Jorgensons, Ohlde ) in my cattle- and feel he offers a lot more for a maternal pedigree ...

I have use FA in the past and have none left in the herd. He made some awesome feeder cattle. How many that used FA when he fist became available have daughters still in the herd? I know knothing about Juneau.

I think the decision between the two bulls is Juneau. I think he himself is the higher quality of the two bulls. Lot of equivalents between the bulls but when you look at the Juneau you get a little more fleshing and better udder structure for generations. I think Final Answer's bigger strengths are in his sons that can be used not necessarily Final Answer himself.

I used Final Answer a few years back. None were kept past the feeder calf pen . No bulls or heifers were worth keeping in my opinion out of my cows. I used Juneau last year we have 3 or 4 heifers and 3 or 4 bulls they look like a better fit for my genetics and feeding regimate. For soggy type cattle we used Chisum and will use him again I like the bulls and heifers out of him.

Thanks for the input, we are getting ready to flush two 13 year old cows and those are the two bulls we are considering. We flushed both cows in December and they produced a total of 32 usable eggs. One cow 065 is a Lucy's Boy reg# 13847351 the other A47 is an 8180 x EXT reg #13756009. We are keeping them open this year and just flushing and getting eggs in the tank. The last flush we used Boyd New Day 8005 on the A47 cow and our herd bull 6149 reg #15730734 on the 065 cow. I may split the difference this go round and use 0035 on 065 and Juneau on the A47 cow. Both the cows are very maternal the 065 was purchased from the Fink program as an 8 month old calf. We actually purchased the A47 cow in a dispersal sale with the intent of flushing her after seeing her calves. 065 has a better udder than the A47 cow and from what I am hearing Juneau will clean up the udder better than FA. Again thanks for the input.

Gizmom

Both have really good dispositions the Lucy's boy is really quiet which suprises me because Lucy's Boys usually have a little fire in them. The A47 cow is also pretty tame but did show some agressive behavior right after calving, but settled down after a week or so. That doesn't bother me as long as it is short lived. Really neither have perfect udders the Lucy's Boy's teats are longer than I like but the A47 cow has supension issues but then again both are 13 so you expect a bit of a break down in udder quality.

Gizmom

I had 2 sav FA bulls very good calving ease & get up & go calves were small framed . both bulls had a bad dispositions . I didnt like them at all & would stear clear of them ................Their all hype , all feed & no breed

if anyone can understand the ai angus bull promotion please chime in...
Kinda like the super bowl dodge ads several loved it but how many really are going to start driving a new dodge tomorrow , as advertising goes if dodge keeps running the ad several times a day we will believe what ever we remember. That is true with final answer ( not bashing him ) when genex has producer meetings fa is pushed throught the presentation , part due to the men that acquired him to boast about how great they are personally in bull selection or is it just the bull that sold the most semen from their promotion schemes, ( again not bashing this bull it's the promotion end of it )
in their meetings FA collects great semen at 10 years of age. I was told he sells 100,000 units every year for the past 10 years. Some of the salesmen have went as far as selling it as collectors semen, Naturally like the dodge truck ads people that have fa cattle are pretty darn proud of them and will turn their head when other calves but other bulls a even better.

We have final answer bulls and hiefiers and like them... We had great calving ease, and vigor. Calves were up and nursing fast. Lots of times I would see that they were calving and come back in an hour and the calf would be all ready up and nursing.... I don't think you can go wrong with either bull. This is just our experiance...

I sure understand where your coming from. That is why I rarely use a young bull from and AI stud I use the wait and see approach. I have seen a number of FA bulls that I have liked, but the proof is in how the daughters work, and it takes years to really know the answer to that. I sure did love the Dodge truck ad but it won't make me run out and buy a new dodge truck. We have two FA calves and one Juneau on the ground right now and to be honest I like all three of them. I have seen more FA than Juneau in our part of the country so it is always good to ask around to see what folks that have used them can tell me. The honest truth is I like my herd bull 6149 calves just as much as any of the AI stud bulls that we have used, but we have some customers that want AI sired herd bulls so AI is necessary. Bottom line we are in business and our business is to provide what our customers want.

Gizmom

I have used both bulls & in my mind Final Answer, Objective & In Focus are the Kings of the trailer court, just trailer trash. Final answer cows didn't not mother up an range calving the FA calves didnt handel the cold to small i think. When went from cavling in Januray to April the bags didnt hold up. But most were called they had come in open. Had 30 heifer born in 07 & 08 and none are left. If he worked for you power to you. As a rule I'm not a fan of occ cattle, but OCC Juneau is one hell of a bull. He was owned by Lavern Koupal, Koupals Angus. Lavern is my neighber & I think alot of his cattle. I sold a Juneau daughter this year that was open she was 11 & had a perfect udder & feet. They last & they work. Lavern has mated him back to 35 of his own daughters with no down side. Has anyone linebreed FA? OCC Juneau will take off a frame score or a hair more. They are ez to be around. The bull at 11 1/2 years old was sound with near perfect feet but quit producing semen. He was a joy to see & watch work. Go online look at Koupals catolog he how much they have him stacked up. I really like his son Koupals Juneau 797 "DUDE" I'm not an epd guy but this bull covers all bases. His dam was something to see. I will use him AI this spring he will be the first bull since 2008 that I will buy from a stud. Yes I'm very high on this bull & his sire.

Oldblood

Thanks for the input that is the kind of information I am looking for, I know FA has alot of sons working but haven't seen or heard much about his daughters. I am looking for longivity and easy fleshing both bulls seem to have this but I also want to keep daughters working in the herd.

Thanks
Gizmom

I agree witth oldblood ask around to see who used FA and aks how many daughters are still in production and how many they started with.

gizmom said:
I am looking for longivity and easy fleshing both bulls seem to have this but I also want to keep daughters working in the herd.

Thanks
Gizmom

Juneau is my pick for that very reason.

Well the deed is done we bred the 065 cow to FA and the A47 cow to Juneau. Dr. Hinshaw will be here on the 19th to do the flush.

Gizmom

Latest posts