• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Saddam Had WMD

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
Issues & Insights
Saddam Had WMD
Posted 2/24/2006

WMD: Now that Leno and Letterman have had their way with Vice President Cheney's hunting accident and the port controversy, maybe we can get back to something really important — like Saddam's WMD program.

Yes, the linchpin of opposition to the Iraq War — never really strong to begin with — has taken some real hits in recent weeks. And "Bush lied" — the anti-war mantra about the president, Saddam Hussein and weapons of mass destruction — looks the most battered.

Inconveniently for critics of the war, Saddam made tapes in his version of the Oval Office. These tapes landed in the hands of American intelligence and were recently aired publicly.

The first 12 hours of the tapes — there are hundreds more waiting to be translated — are damning, to say the least. They show conclusively that Bush didn't lie when he cited Saddam's WMD plans as one of the big reasons for taking the dictator out.

Nobody disputes the tapes' authenticity. On them, Saddam talks openly of programs involving biological, chemical and, yes, nuclear weapons.

War foes have long asserted that Saddam halted his WMD programs in the wake of his defeat in the first Gulf War in 1991. Saddam's abandonment of WMD programs was confirmed by subsequent U.N. inspections.

Again, not true. In a tape dating to April 1995, Saddam and several aides discuss the fact that U.N. inspectors had found traces of Iraq's biological weapons program. On the tape, Hussein Kamel, Saddam's son-in-law, is heard gloating about fooling the inspectors.

"We did not reveal all that we have," he says. "Not the type of weapons, not the volume of the materials we imported, not the volume of the production we told them about, not the volume of use. None of this was correct."

There's more. Indeed, as late as 2000, Saddam can be heard in his office talking with Iraqi scientists about his ongoing plans to build a nuclear device. At one point, he discusses Iraq's plasma uranium program — something that was missed entirely by U.N. weapons inspectors combing Iraq for WMD.

This is particularly troubling, since it indicates an active, ongoing attempt by Saddam to build an Iraqi nuclear bomb.

"What was most disturbing," said John Tierney, the ex- FBI agent who translated the tapes, "was the fact that the individuals briefing Saddam were totally unknown to the U.N. Special Commission (or UNSCOM, the group set up to look into Iraq's WMD programs)."

Perhaps most chillingly, the tapes record Iraq Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz talking about how easy it would be to set off a WMD in Washington. The comments come shortly after Saddam muses about using "proxies" in a terror attack.

9-11, anyone?

In short, let us repeat: President Bush was right. We had to invade to disarm Saddam — otherwise, he would have completely reconstituted his chemical, nuclear and bio-weapons programs when inspectors left.

Saddam probably knew better than to use them himself against the U.S. But it's likely he wouldn't have hesitated giving one or more to terror groups with which he had routine contact.

Lest you think we're making the case entirely based on these tapes, let us assure you that other evidence — mounting by the day — points to the same conclusion.

We've been very impressed by the story told by Georges Sada, the former No. 2 in Iraq's air force. He has written a book, "Saddam's Secrets," that details how the Iraqi dictator used trucks, commercial jets and ships to remove his WMD from the country. At the time, the move went largely undetected, because Iraq pretended the massive movement of materiel was to help Syrian flood victims.

Nor is Sada alone. Ali Ibrahim, another of Saddam's former commanders, has largely corroborated Sada's story.

So how was Saddam able to use his "cheat and retreat" tactics without being found out? He had help, according to a former U.S. Defense Department official.

"The short answer to the question of where the WMD Saddam bought from the Russians went was that they went to Syria and Lebanon," said John Shaw, former deputy undersecretary of defense, in comments made at an intelligence summit Feb. 17-20 in Arlington, Va.

"They were moved by Russian Spetsnaz (special ops) units out of uniform that were specifically sent to Iraq to move the weaponry and eradicate any evidence of its existence," he said.

These are extraordinary developments. They deserve a full airing in the media, since they essentially validate part of Bush's casus belli for invading Iraq and deposing the murderous Saddam.

But once again, the mainstream media have dropped the ball. They seem more interested in Dick Cheney's marksmanship and American port management than in setting the record straight about one of the most important developments of our time.

http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=20&artnum=1&issue=20060224

Who wrote that? I'd like to sell him a bridge.
One that someone sold to you that you're trying to get rid of?
Just because you want something to be true, that doesn't make it true.
That could easily be applied to everything you post.

And even if it was true, the invasion was still a mistake. The Russians have always had nuclear weapons, we didn't invade them.
According to you, all defense is a mistake. Better to take care of this while we still can rather than be in the middle of a nuclear standoff...or worse.

Just because the potential exists, that still doesn't justify a pre-emptive attack.
Says you, the most worthless source I can think of.

How many time are you going to try to deny the obvious by posting these essays by people that are as paranoid as you are? Why can't you have a serious conversation?
The obvious thing is that there's loads of material left to be translated, and a serious conversation with a know-it-all goofus that would leave the defenseless to parish at the hands of evil is highly unlikely.

Quote:
Propaganda...serves more to justify ourselves than to convince others; and the more reason we have to feel guilty, the more fervent our propaganda.
-Eric Hoffer
Could be just as aptly applied to all your quotations and selective scripture recitations.

You got suckered into believing a lie. It's no big deal. It happens to everyone. The big mistake is clinging to them.
Right back at ya.

So, paranoid Nixon and paranoid Saddam both kept the recoder running, eh? Strange coincidence.
You have some rational point here?

How is it that a Former FBI man translated the tapes? Was the real FBI too busy?
How many really good transolators are available to the FBI with clearance?

Sorry Cal, you just have to stop believing eberything you read in the papers.
Who does?

Why was this on an investors page? Is it cover for Haliburton and the Carlyle group? Seems like they are trying to make sure they don't look like war-profiteers to me.
It was an editorial in "Investors", happens all the time. But now you're just speculating...must be fear.

The love of money remains the root of all evil. What better example than an investor in war technologies? Men who get rich on death are not really the type of crowd we should elect to high office. New year, old story.
Hey, I've got an idea! Since you were begging for donations for your goofy little org, maybe you could just invest in war technologies and your troubles would be over!

Quote:
"We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace -- business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering. They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob."

--Franklin Delano Roosevelt Oct 31, 1936

Of course, the old deal and the New Deal were exactly alike. I realize that.
More propoganda?

Steve said:
"it "was inevitable that drug dealers (and StveC) would seek to capitalize on our nation's worst atrocity."

:mad: :mad:
Can you just imagine the smirk he has on his face as he types in the garbage he spews on here?

stevec said:
Steve said:
"it "was inevitable that drug dealers (and StveC) would seek to capitalize on our nation's worst atrocity."

Um, how do I "capitalize" on 9/11?

Because I bring up facts that you do not want to hear?

I realize my ideas seem "way out there" and I am sometimes hard to understand, but I have everyone's best interests at heart. I am not in it for myself. The only thing I want is World Peace and global prosperity for everyone.

We can have a renaissance, and better, if we would just be honest with ourselves and consider the facts. The system doesn't work, and everything the Left and Right try to do makes it worse.

Whats the weather like in your world?

(my guess is it's pretty foggy and rainy)

You only want World Peace and global prosperity for everyone? GIVE ME A BREAK! :lol: :lol: :lol: Or was that line put in there as a joke? :p

BBJ said:
stevec said:
Steve said:

Um, how do I "capitalize" on 9/11?

Because I bring up facts that you do not want to hear?

I realize my ideas seem "way out there" and I am sometimes hard to understand, but I have everyone's best interests at heart. I am not in it for myself. The only thing I want is World Peace and global prosperity for everyone.

We can have a renaissance, and better, if we would just be honest with ourselves and consider the facts. The system doesn't work, and everything the Left and Right try to do makes it worse.

Whats the weather like in your world?

(my guess is it's pretty foggy and rainy)

You only want World Peace and global prosperity for everyone? GIVE ME A BREAK! :lol: :lol: :lol: Or was that line put in there as a joke? :p
Sounds like something from the Miss America pageant.

Latest posts