• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sample On Its Way to Weybridge

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Border rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 3, 2005
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
Location
Ab.- Mt. border
I'm glad to hear the sample might be getting closer to the British Lab. I hope it is the same one that was suspect and hasn't been exchanged for another, maybe they did have another from Canada in that freezer! It did take a long time to get going out of the country so that seems very suspicious!

I'm glad the animal did not get in the food chain. It seems to me the first one found in Washinton may have done just that, but news reporters can be and often are wrong about such things. I wonder if any of us have eaten any beef from those animals that may have been improperly tested? I'm glad I haven't eaten beef in the USA for a very long time.

Canada has been very upfront the 3 times they had a positive test. (3 positve out of hundreds of thousands tested) Some producers around here who have been sure the USA was covering up positives (after all, even if ther problem had originated in Canada, how could the USA be BSE free after the millions of live cattle they have imported from Canada thoughout many years?) have been angry with the Canadia Dept of Agriculture for that bodies "Hey, look what we found" attitude.

Like producers all over North America, I will wait with baited breath (almost) for the result of the final test.

As my friend says, "No matter how it goes I think someone else will still be eating my lunch" (Making the profits that would rightly have been mine.)
 

feeder

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
950
Reaction score
0
Location
Iowa
Border Rancher, You say Canada is very upfront. Wasn't your first case in a deep freeze for many months before it was tested?
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
BR, I think some terrorists are going to hijack the plane carrying the samples. Maybe some R-CALF TERRORISTS! Then we'll never know.
Boy, all this will make a good book one day!
 

Kathy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
837
Reaction score
0
Location
Home on the Range, Alberta
Border Rancher,

If I was a bettin woman, I'd bet it will come back negative for the immunohistochemical test (gold standard). As the western blot was "weakly positive" it is probable that sufficient brain cell damage was not done, and no vacuoles will be visible with the staining of the brain tissue.

USDA, et. al, will call this atypical BSE. (this has a floating definition)

I am truely amuzed, but I'm not holding my breath for the results. Either way, the western blot was positive, and it has never been wrong before.

I believe the new Canadian/French test "Vacci-test" may be affiliated with Bio-rad and the CEA (Commission Energy Atomique - "French Atomic Energy Commission). But, all this will come out soon enough.
 

Kato

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,679
Reaction score
0
Location
Manitoba - At the end of the road
This is my bettin....

If it is positive it will be announced on a Friday after markets close. We will also be told it's atypical, or sporadic, not "real" BSE. The spin doctors are out already, and they will be busy. As Haymaker would say, Good Luck.

If we hear an announcement coming sooner, then the bullet has been dodged .... for now.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,021
Reaction score
234
Location
Big Muddy valley
feeder said:
Border Rancher, You say Canada is very upfront. Wasn't your first case in a deep freeze for many months before it was tested?


Yes because CWD was front and foremost for testing. But when it was tested and found positive we had herds eliminated trace outs of cohorts ect. Far more extensive then what USDA did in Washington.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Big Muddy rancher said:
feeder said:
Border Rancher, You say Canada is very upfront. Wasn't your first case in a deep freeze for many months before it was tested?


Yes because CWD was front and foremost for testing. But when it was tested and found positive we had herds eliminated trace outs of cohorts ect. Far more extensive then what USDA did in Washington.

Couldn't have been more extensive than Washington. Cause our guys went ALL THE WAY TO CANADA in their investigation! :wink:
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Mike said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
feeder said:
Border Rancher, You say Canada is very upfront. Wasn't your first case in a deep freeze for many months before it was tested?


Yes because CWD was front and foremost for testing. But when it was tested and found positive we had herds eliminated trace outs of cohorts ect. Far more extensive then what USDA did in Washington.

Couldn't have been more extensive than Washington. Cause our guys went ALL THE WAY TO CANADA in their investigation! :wink:
We tried to go to the US with the traceouts of the May 20/03 cow. There were bulls sold from the source herd to the Us for breeding but when they couldn't all be found they were "dead".
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Bill said:
Mike said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Yes because CWD was front and foremost for testing. But when it was tested and found positive we had herds eliminated trace outs of cohorts ect. Far more extensive then what USDA did in Washington.

Couldn't have been more extensive than Washington. Cause our guys went ALL THE WAY TO CANADA in their investigation! :wink:
We tried to go to the US with the traceouts of the May 20/03 cow. There were bulls sold from the source herd to the Us for breeding but when they couldn't all be found they were "dead".

No need to be defensive. I was just pulling on Big Muddy's leg.
 

Murgen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
But , would they have wanted to buy a ticket, before they had negotiated the results before hand? That's okay, I'm sure their transparency will be brought up by groups like the consumers Unioun and Rcalf.

I'm sure that Rcalf will now question the safety of Us beef, as they would if Canada had mucked around with samples etc. Because they are out for the consumer's protection and everything.

Do 375,000 tested animals tested with sub-par tests constitute a question of beef safety, when you have BSE, within your borders?

Does this make all beef contaminated? I think it does by Rcalf's standards.
 

Border rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 3, 2005
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
Location
Ab.- Mt. border
Mike, I don't really think the R Calf orgaization is run by terrorists. I have just been trying to make it's groupies think a little about the reasons behind what R Calf is doing to Canadian producers. We know they have probably been hiding behind the health issue to keep the prices up. If Canadians were a little tougher and not so soft hearted, I guess we should have shut off the natural gas taps right away and California would have been sent into a real dilemma.

I see our nexy big fight with the US being over water. The US is getting short and we have lots. I don't have the time or the inclination to study the legal agreements etc., but I'm sure the US will come up with some reason we have to give our water supply to them. It has already started here with Mt. saying that Alberta is taking too much of the Milk River flow. Our gov. says that according to the agreement, we should and could have been taking a lot more. (half the flow originates in Canada anyway)

It seems many people in the US are telling us all the time that "What is theirs is theirs and what is ours is theirs too!"
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Mike said:
Bill said:
Mike said:
Couldn't have been more extensive than Washington. Cause our guys went ALL THE WAY TO CANADA in their investigation! :wink:
We tried to go to the US with the traceouts of the May 20/03 cow. There were bulls sold from the source herd to the Us for breeding but when they couldn't all be found they were "dead".

No need to be defensive. I was just pulling on Big Muddy's leg.
Forgive some of us Canadians if we are just a tad defensive after two years of American BSE b.s. and it looks like the pile of crap is getting considerably deeper.:roll:
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Bill said:
Mike said:
Bill said:
We tried to go to the US with the traceouts of the May 20/03 cow. There were bulls sold from the source herd to the Us for breeding but when they couldn't all be found they were "dead".

No need to be defensive. I was just pulling on Big Muddy's leg.
Forgive some of us Canadians if we are just a tad defensive after two years of American BSE b.s. and it looks like the pile of crap is getting considerably deeper.:roll:

Now it's MY turn to get defensive. :wink: Why does it have to "American BSE b.s."? Did you mean "North" American BSE BS? You've had some positives too! If you ask me it BS on both sides of the border with plenty of finger-pointing, both north and south.
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Mike said:
Bill said:
Mike said:
No need to be defensive. I was just pulling on Big Muddy's leg.
Forgive some of us Canadians if we are just a tad defensive after two years of American BSE b.s. and it looks like the pile of crap is getting considerably deeper.:roll:

Now it's MY turn to get defensive. :wink: Why does it have to "American BSE b.s."? Did you mean "North" American BSE BS? You've had some positives too! If you ask me it BS on both sides of the border with plenty of finger-pointing, both north and south.
No need to be defensive :wink: but if you think for a minute that the US has been as up-front about BSE in North America as Canada has you are mistaken.
The pile of bs regarding testing has definitely been piled higher in the US. New strain of spontaneous BSE? :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: Not sure if I should laugh or cry at that notion.

I wonder why this was all announced last Friday and the test finally made it on to the plane yesterday? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Bill:"if you think for a minute that the US has been as up-front about BSE in North America as Canada has you are mistaken."

I'm not going to argue about who is being "as upfront about BSE", the US or Canada. I'm saying your pointing fingers down here, or me pointing fingers up there can serve no good. What started this whole conversation was me ribbing Big Muddy and your obvious lack of humor and defensive name calling.

Having said that! A bit of Trivia. Who said this in 2001?:

"We are completely free of BSE. The risk of transmission in a country where the disease doesn't exist is zero. And that's our situation."

Hint: A high ranking Canadian. :shock:
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Mike said:
Bill:"if you think for a minute that the US has been as up-front about BSE in North America as Canada has you are mistaken."

I'm not going to argue about who is being "as upfront about BSE", the US or Canada. I'm saying your pointing fingers down here, or me pointing fingers up there can serve no good. What started this whole conversation was me ribbing Big Muddy and your obvious lack of humor and defensive name calling.

Having said that! A bit of Trivia. Who said this in 2001?:

"We are completely free of BSE. The risk of transmission in a country where the disease doesn't exist is zero. And that's our situation."

Hint: A high ranking Canadian. :shock:

In 2001 Canada and the US were free of BSE.

A high ranking Canadian? Let me guess Shania Twain, Wayne Gretzky or Jim Carrey? :lol: or was it Steve Nash?
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Bill said:
Mike said:
Bill:"if you think for a minute that the US has been as up-front about BSE in North America as Canada has you are mistaken."

I'm not going to argue about who is being "as upfront about BSE", the US or Canada. I'm saying your pointing fingers down here, or me pointing fingers up there can serve no good. What started this whole conversation was me ribbing Big Muddy and your obvious lack of humor and defensive name calling.

Having said that! A bit of Trivia. Who said this in 2001?:

"We are completely free of BSE. The risk of transmission in a country where the disease doesn't exist is zero. And that's our situation."

Hint: A high ranking Canadian. :shock:

In 2001 Canada and the US were free of BSE.

A high ranking Canadian? Let me guess Shania Twain, Wayne Gretzky or Jim Carrey? :lol: or was it Steve Nash?

Canada had a positive case in 1993 and the 2003 cow was harboring prions as Lavigne spoke.
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Mike said:
Bill said:
Mike said:
Bill:"if you think for a minute that the US has been as up-front about BSE in North America as Canada has you are mistaken."

I'm not going to argue about who is being "as upfront about BSE", the US or Canada. I'm saying your pointing fingers down here, or me pointing fingers up there can serve no good. What started this whole conversation was me ribbing Big Muddy and your obvious lack of humor and defensive name calling.

Having said that! A bit of Trivia. Who said this in 2001?:

"We are completely free of BSE. The risk of transmission in a country where the disease doesn't exist is zero. And that's our situation."

Hint: A high ranking Canadian. :shock:

In 2001 Canada and the US were free of BSE.

A high ranking Canadian? Let me guess Shania Twain, Wayne Gretzky or Jim Carrey? :lol: or was it Steve Nash?

Canada had a positive case in 1993 and the 2003 cow was harboring prions as Lavigne spoke.
You're sure about that? No room for spontaneous BSE in your world? I hope so because it appears that may be the line used when the test results come back from the UK on your latest "weakly positive" cow. :roll:
 

Latest posts

Top