• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

"Sandhills Cowman"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

efb

Reaction score
There is a Sandhills cowman who loves the old way
But one day a new machine called a Ranger came to stay
Instead of a whinny it makes more of a whine
It will chase a cow, but sure can't turn on a dime
It's versatility though is pretty fine
It's taken Soap and Peachblossom to town to dine
Now in pictures coming from the Spearhead ranch
Seems like this new Ranger's getting more of a chance
No doubt on theSpearhead, tradition is there to stay
But, it looks like Soap and Peachblossom are a little more at play

efb

efb said:
There is a Sandhills cowman who loves the old way
But one day a new machine called a Ranger came to stay
Instead of a whinny it makes more of a whine
It will chase a cow, but sure can't turn on a dime
It's versatility though is pretty fine
It's taken Soap and Peachblossom to town to dine
Now in pictures coming from the Spearhead ranch
Seems like this new Ranger's getting more of a chance
No doubt on theSpearhead, tradition is there to stay
But, it looks like Soap and Peachblossom are a little more at play

efb

Good poem, efb. We are sure on the receiving end of a bit of ridicule, but guess we are tough. I was talking about our "tagging machine" at Lancaster Livestock Supply in Cody the other day. DeWayne was somewhat flabbergasted that the Spearhead Ranch would stoop so low. He said that the purveyor of the "calf catcher cage" that attaches to ATVs was in his store a couple years ago trying to get Lancasters to take on a dealership. DeWayne laughed him out of the store, saying, "Nobody around here would buy one of those." He was especially disappointed in me, thinking I'd be one of the last to go that route. Oh well. :? :wink:

Back in the 'seventies, my dad had bought a registered herd of Hereford cattle from Lorentz Raben of Crawford, Nebraska. These cattle were as good as any Hereford cattle that ever walked, and Dad was hoping to hit a lick with them. He built a sale barn at his ranch, and had eleven consecutive bull sales from 1973-1983. Bill Overholt was one of the fieldmen at one of the first sales. He gave Dad some advice, "Keep doing stuff to keep people talking about you. It doesn't matter if it is good or bad, just do stuff to keep people talking about you."

I guess I took ol' Bill's advice to heart. :wink: :)

Soapweed,
The kids at school have a running feud on the ATV/horse issue. Just another reason to love the sandhills.

I have a little open top scout (still in Kansas) that is about like your ranger ('cept the scout cost $400), but I feel impotent when I have the scout and need a horse.

Latest posts