• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Saturday nite in sisterdale Texas

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Just got in the house been outside char coaling some rib eye,when I went to the barn to get some cold beer outa the freezer I had a grass fire in my yard,spark from the pitt started it,its that dry.Then a neighbor called and said there was a big fire heading my way seems like a baler caught on fire and burnt several hundred acres,elmo said the poor man barely got unhooked from it or would have lost his tractor.Boy the joys of ranching..............good luck PS I hope you are keepin a fire extinguisher handy when you bale I know I have one mounted to the side of my baler.

Haymaker- "good luck PS I hope you are keepin a fire extinguisher handy when you bale I know I have one mounted to the side of my baler."

Haymaker, I keep my fire extinguisher right in the tractor cab. I also have some of those needles with a grease fitting on them, and inject grease into all the sealed bearings on the baler a few times during the season.Seems to help.
The salvage yards around here always have lots of burned balers in stock! :)

Haymaker,
Sorry for your drought and yard fire but we're all glad YOU weren't charcoal broiled!!
Come to thinking of it but :wink: rather goulishly now, that WOULD have saved you a cremation fee. :evil:

We have a friend get badly burned in a tractor cab fire. He couldn't get out the door for whatever reason. The windows in many newer tractors don't open. In a panic, it is hard to find that special zipper thing to open the back window in case of an emergency. So now many farmers carry something in their tractors to break a window if necessary. Safe farming to all.

feeder said:
We have a friend get badly burned in a tractor cab fire. He couldn't get out the door for whatever reason. The windows in many newer tractors don't open. In a panic, it is hard to find that special zipper thing to open the back window in case of an emergency. So now many farmers carry something in their tractors to break a window if necessary. Safe farming to all.

Though I thought Haymaker could take the joke, after the sad message about your friend's burns I regret my goulish remark.
:oops:

HAYMAKER, was that you in that Progressive Farmer article a couple of months back? That's a heep of hay balin' you do. I really envy you for your locality. I was a long haul trucker for most of the eighties and early nineties and travelled all over the country. The Texas hill country was my favorite region. My roots are too deep here in the deep south to ever leave, but otherwise I'd be looking at moving somewhere between Sonora and Junction. :)

Here's the report on a new fire that popped up in the Black Hills yesterday.

Ricco (Black Hills National Forest): 300 acres at zero percent contained. This fire is two miles south of Piedmont. The High Meadows, Rolling HIlls, and Indian Hills subdivisions are threatened. Five residences were evacuated. The South Stage Barn Canyon Botanical Area and archeological sites are threatened. Torching and crowning were reported

It's actually something over 1400 acres (probably bigger by now). We have had terrible winds during and after our official 108 degrees yesterday. There are lots of houses in the area of this fire, I would expect.

Hope you made out OK Haymaker with your fire scare.

it is stories like these that make so many people wary of farming season!! just last week we had a young man using the family tractor to pound in some fence posts and the brake slipped and pinned the young man to the ground for at least 2 hours before help arrived!! Thank God that the only injury suffered was a mild case of dehydration and a badly broken femur (thigh bone :wink: )!! could have been so much worse....as we all know! :shock:

Just heard about a young fellow that was pinned under a swather with just his 2 small children with him. Had to send the 8 yr old boy in the truck to find help. They were at some rented land and the boy didn't know where to go . After 2 attempts found some people at home . They got the ambulance called and the swather off his leg. A 4 hour operation was needed .

Big Muddy rancher said:
Just heard about a young fellow that was pinned under a swather with just his 2 small children with him. Had to send the 8 yr old boy in the truck to find help. They were at some rented land and the boy didn't know where to go . After 2 attempts found some people at home . They got the ambulance called and the swather off his leg. A 4 hour operation was needed .

scary!!! a few years back, a man was driving his swather with his young daughter in the cab with him and he hit a rather big bump in the field.....the tragic ending is the daughter flew out the front window and into the moving blades of the swather!! I cannot even begin to imagine the pain the father was ( and still is, all these years later) in!! :cry: :cry: PLEEEEAAASE!!! Everyone be careful!!!

nr, no need for regrets. We need to make light of things at times, otherwise we would go nuts!!! The cab fire was fresh in my mind because I never was shown where the darn emergency thing is. I will know before I go out in that tractor again. Have a good day.

the real jake said:
Here's the report on a new fire that popped up in the Black Hills yesterday.

Ricco (Black Hills National Forest): 300 acres at zero percent contained. This fire is two miles south of Piedmont. The High Meadows, Rolling HIlls, and Indian Hills subdivisions are threatened. Five residences were evacuated. The South Stage Barn Canyon Botanical Area and archeological sites are threatened. Torching and crowning were reported

It's actually something over 1400 acres (probably bigger by now). We have had terrible winds during and after our official 108 degrees yesterday. There are lots of houses in the area of this fire, I would expect.

Hope you made out OK Haymaker with your fire scare.
One of my instructors house is in the newer part not a very old house and she had to leave havent heard much else from her other then that. Its really smokie here .....went to the school today and everything inside smells like fire...thank god no has died in it...makes you wonder why people like to build in the pine needles.... :) :wink:

Latest posts