• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Scale question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
Do they work better with solid sides or ones they can see through? I would think the gates see through and the sides solid.

Seen them every configuration. If you had some really wringy calves, solid sides would likely serve best. About anything works for most cattle.

Cattle need a visual opening to know where to go. When they don't see an opening anywhere they tend to go back from the direction of which they came from.

So I would say the exit gates should be open and the sides blocked.

Ours is made with tubing all the way around and works fine. It may work well because they need to go up a bit of a ramp to get into it, I don't know.

Mike said:
Cattle need a visual opening to know where to go. When they don't see an opening anywhere they tend to go back from the direction of which they came from.

So I would say the exit gates should be open and the sides blocked.

This is my guess. The other thing is to look at what may inhibit cattle from moving. Just had a USDA slaughter that wanted half sheeted alley for access. The desk is right in line of view out of the tub. They decided to sheet that section and it works well now.

Latest posts