• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Scale

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowzilla

Reaction score
Would like to put a platform scale in front of the sqeeze chute (single animal unit ) . It has to work well in cold weather -25 etc. etc. no roof overtop. Any recomondations?

cowzilla said:
Would like to put a platform scale in front of the sqeeze chute (single animal unit ) . It has to work well in cold weather -25 etc. etc. no roof overtop. Any recomondations?

How big one animal at a time type?I've seen those where they were set in the alley behind the chute with a slide door on both ends of the animal that seamed to work best as the animal had time to calm down while we worked on the one in the chute.Record the weight than move them ahead to work them.I know you need to keep the area Ice free as a guy here had his in a pit of sorts and we got 3 inches of rain in December and it froze it up for the winter.It also broke all the wires off on the load bars.

Denny the system you describe is what I had planned. Mostly to weigh calves but big enough for a cow or bull 2500lbs. I guess a guy could put a tarp over it when allyway is not in use.I snow and ice can be a problem in this area for about 6 months :roll:

The one I used that was set up in an alley.It was under a roof off of a lean on a building it was set up real well and stayed dry.

I can't remember what make it was but I saw one that you just put on the floor of the squeeze. It had some kind of oil in it up to the readout dial. It had to be balanced with a screwdriver every few head but it was quite accurate when cross-checked with another beam type scale. The whole set-up weighed about 120-140lbs and was stored in a shed when not in use. It was green, maybe W-W, I'm not sure.

gcreekrch said:
I can't remember what make it was but I saw one that you just put on the floor of the squeeze. It had some kind of oil in it up to the readout dial. It had to be balanced with a screwdriver every few head but it was quite accurate when cross-checked with another beam type scale. The whole set-up weighed about 120-140lbs and was stored in a shed when not in use. It was green, maybe W-W, I'm not sure.

gcreekrch, that is an Elias scale you are thinking of.

http://www.eliasscales.com/

I personally like my electronic beam scale. It is a Reliable Scale, I believe. We just have a wooden platform on it right now, no cage at all. So far it has worked well for me, and I like the fact that it is portable without the cage on it. It is set up right before the squeeze, although it could be set under the squeeze. I really like the fact that I can move it into the barn for calving season, it makes it a lot quicker, and easier to weigh the babies.

http://www.reliablescale.com/index.html

They are both Canadian companies.

cowzilla said:
cowzilla-

Considering the trouble, inconvenience, and repair expense of your scales icing up for 6 months, an inexpensive and easily constructed shed roof over the scales would seem like a no-brainer insofar as making the job of weighing your cattle more practical and eliminating the stress which accompanies snow and ice.

DOC HARRIS

we put a roof over the ally and chute a few years ago.... think the cows even worked better.should be able to see it under my round up pics, or the katrina post in the coffee shop.
it really didn't cost us much at the time, I made some good deals on the light poles, tin, lumber and some metal on the one side of the alley so we could widen or narrow it.

I agree a enclosed chute area would be nice since I do most work in cooler conditions. Working in two different yards adds to the problem. And then theres the time and money thing again :)

We got a Paul scale from a fellow cattleman when he was selling out.
We only pull it out twice a year, but mainly we store it in a shed.
www.paulscales.com

I've seen the ones that are a squeeze chute/scale, they are pretty neat.

Doc,

Right on with the Cover.... A chute and scale are an investment that will hold up better with protection..

I also will say I have never seen a Platform Scale with adustable sides that you can narrow so smaller animals won't turn around...

Load bars, whether under the chute or in a alley get wear and tear even when you are not wieghing... I say that in I have not decided the best option yet... I do hear Load Cells will be a better more durable option. Tru Test has them,

PPRM

I've used a Tru Test weigh bars setup for several thousand head under a cage with two sliding doors on it just behind the chute. The load cells worked really well and held up under a daily bath from a high-pressure water hose. Of course, the connections and such were properly taped up. Then again, this was in a barn with heat, so no experience with ice. Just the same, those load bars didn't get calibrated but once a year and they were very accurate when checked. If you don't have much help, it's a little more work to get a critter on the scale and then let it off. You'll need an extra set of hands compared to just letting the next one on the chute.

HP

Cowzilla, we'd like to get one too, but can only afford to spend about $3.50. :D :D :D :D :wink:

I found some load bars on ebay for a little under $600.00. Not sure how they would work. Gallagher makes a pretty good looking outfit, but it costs close to three thousand dollars. Way too much for us.

We're thinking so far that a roof would be good too. Doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, but it sure would be nice. 8) May even build one without getting a scale.

central city scales in central city nebraska has great scales and a good website I have a set of their large scales and really like them if I have any problems they are very good to help they also have used scales for sale sometimes you can tell them what you want and they can put together a pkg for your specific needs

central city scales in central city nebraska has great scales and a good website I have a set of their large scales and really like them if I have any problems they are very good to help they also have used scales for sale sometimes you can tell them what you want and they can put together a pkg for your specific needs

That is where I bought my new scale. I used it for the first time last week and it works great. Very good customer service and they know what they are talking about. A+ recomendation.

Latest posts