• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Scales

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Heel Fly

Reaction score
We are 35 miles from the nearest scale, we are thinking about buying a scale and weighing our calves here instead of in town. What do you all think, do you take a pencil shrink, how much?? Let me know what you think.

Better check with the state before buying a scale.

We have an almost-new 30,000# scale integrated into our corrals and it is really nice to use HOWEVER

for a scale to be legal for trade it must be licensed by the state.

We were paying an annual scale license of $75.00 for our scale. When the state ran low on money, they raised the annual license to $400 with a $450.00 fine for every day it is used without a current license. State subsequently lowered the license to $330 which is what we paid this year.

The joy of it is that we pay the same fee for our scale which is used about one day a year as the grain elevator does to use theirs constantly.

Above state is good old Colorado. Never trust a politician when they need money!!

Get with your nieghbors. zThey may be willing to help you with the license fee if they can use it,

PPRM

I think 2 or 3% is the pencil shrink when weighing on your own scales.

There are a couple of people around here who have portable scales
that are certified and they haul them to the various ranches on delivery day. Everyone that I have talked to thinks it is great.

The Superior Rep at Ekalaka has one, and that's how the consignors
calves from around here are weighed in the fall.

Latest posts