• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Self Catch Head Gates

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

The kid and I are talking about putting in a headcatch in one of the barns this summer (I"m getting tired working on a heifer in a snowstorm by headlights)...I have a couple old ones- don't even know the makes they are so old- ones been so banged up it only catchs 1 in 4 .... But I was wondering what some of you thought was the best brand name headgate I could mount on a couple posts- needs to be self catch, because I'm alone lots of the times....

OT-

WE ve got one that has been used for everything from roughstock bulls to calves. It has worked great over the years and is relatively inexpensive.

http://www.realindustries.com/

Manitoba_Rancher said:
OT-

WE ve got one that has been used for everything from roughstock bulls to calves. It has worked great over the years and is relatively inexpensive.

http://www.realindustries.com/

Thanks MR- those definitely are cheaper than any I saw-- Looking at the Western Ranch Supply catalogs they have Pearsons for $600 and Prieferts for $625-- altho the freight would be free since they deliver...Don't know much about the Pearsons, but they appear to be closer to the size I want.......

The Pearson headgates are made in Thedford,Ne (Sandhill central). Pretty widely used in our area, our vet uses one on a For-Most chute. In about ten years they have a set of cables that need replacing, if you use them quite a bit or it rains regular where you live (hasn't been a big problem here for a few years). Otherwise a little WD-40 once or twice a year, and they're good to go. Their main selling point is supposed to be that cables are quicker than a mechanical linkage, along with excellent workmanship(IMHO). I've seen roller chain used the same way, with similar results; Scott Mfg in Clinton,Ne makes their self-catchers that way.

I have a Powder River automatic headgate that I have been very pleased with. I don't know what they cost as I bought it as part of the squeeze chute but they are sold separately. It sets outside so a squirt of grease a couple of times a year keeps it working well. It is adjustable both top and bottom for all sizes of cattle and once a critter hits it with their shoulders they are caught! I seldom have any help so it's important to me it works and I have liked it.

Big Muddy rancher said:
OT why don't you check with Roger T. he is selling Stampede Steel and I think they have a self catch headgate.

Good idea- He still is leasing a Stud of mine that I haven't seen any real rewards from yet- might get me a deal.....Saw him at a bull sale a few weeks ago, but he left before I could talk to him....I'd heard his store deal with his partner fell thru- but don't know if thats just rumor or not...

His store deal did fall through and put him in a real bind.

But he does still have the Stampede stuff and it sure is a good
product. If we had known about it before we bought our Morand
stuff, we would have taken a hard look at it.

Roger is such a great guy, but too trusting of other people.

FH,

Was this Roger that I talked to about Vigortone mineral? If it was I feel bad for him. I really enjoyed talking to him. Hope things work out for him.

I can tell you right now they all have good and bad points. Truth be known, use one or a style that you are used to. If you are used to a Priefert and like it, try that. If you are used to a Saloon Door style one (Where they are set back and lock as pushed forward) go with that. I have seen cattle missed occasionally in all of them. It is usually a matter of something not set right for the sized cattle ran or maybe soe paint or lack of oil for them to work freely....I find that people are best to try something they are used to...

A word of caution, do get a heavy one. Some of these are really made for the Hobby guy,

PPRM

Latest posts