• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Senate votes to end millionaire farm subsidies

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
29,282
Reaction score
490
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I think most of us will agree that subsidies to millionaire farmers
should be stopped. But so far, is this all they are able to come up
with? How about all the foreign aid? I'm for stopping that and doing
more for our veterans. In fact, that shouldn't even have to be
discussed, we should be taking care of our wounded servicemen.

Here's the article from AP:
..

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democrats and Republicans are in rare accord on one thing: Growers with million-dollar incomes shouldn't reap farm subsidies.



Eighty-four senators voted Friday to discontinue certain farm subsidies for people who make more than a million dollars in adjusted gross income. The vote represents a sea change in how the heavily rural Senate views farm support. Many previous votes to limit subsidies have failed in the Senate.

Direct payments are the subsidy targeted in Friday's vote. They have long been criticized because they are paid regardless of crop prices and yields, unlike more insurance-like programs that kick in when prices drop or crops are damaged.

Leaders of the House and Senate Agriculture committees are looking at getting rid of direct payments altogether, shifting some of the aid to other programs.
..
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Many previous votes to limit subsidies have failed in the Senate.

Direct payments are the subsidy targeted in Friday's vote. They have long been criticized because they are paid regardless of crop prices and yields, unlike more insurance-like programs that kick in when prices drop or crops are damaged.

Leaders of the House and Senate Agriculture committees are looking at getting rid of direct payments altogether, shifting some of the aid to other programs.

About time-- but I just wonder how many loopholes will be left in it... Every other time they went to limit farm payments they left so many loopholes that it was a worthless piece of legislation.... The millionaires just stuck part of the land into another corporate , their wifes, kids, hired mans, dogs, name as the operator- and the same amount kept coming in.....
 

okfarmer

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 14, 2010
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
I'm good with ending subsidies, but don't like that someone's gross income level is the measuring stick.

So in several instances I can think of, bad farmers can still be paid subsidies for being bad farmers and some very successful farmers will be put at a disadvantage.

This looks like a slippery slope argument. Yes most farmers do not make AGI of a million, but the validity of a law should be tested by placing several income levels in the definition and evaluating your stance. Lets, say $100,000 or $75,000. Still like the sounds of not having a level playing field?

Sounds like a new twist on tax the rich and wealth re-distribution.

Why not just take the subsidies off the table all together? Or if there are subsidies that the country feels are inappropriate, remove them in their entirety.
[/b]
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
hypocritexposer said:
Bush tried to do this at least once, if not twice and was shut down by the Dems.

Both Dems and Repubs have shot it down...They've tried several times in the farm bill-but then these same millionaires start pouring the lobbyiest money in-- and both the Dems and Repubs on the take water down the bill and leave in so many loopholes its about a worthless effort...

I'd like to see them all removed...
 

jigs

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
8,439
Reaction score
0
Location
KANSAS
take away a pot of money aimed at helping someone be productive..... why not take away the money going to the slums as welfare which has no productivity, and just breeds a new generation of entitlement?
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Oldtimer said:
hypocritexposer said:
Bush tried to do this at least once, if not twice and was shut down by the Dems.

Both Dems and Repubs have shot it down...They've tried several times in the farm bill-but then these same millionaires start pouring the lobbyiest money in-- and both the Dems and Repubs on the take water down the bill and leave in so many loopholes its about a worthless effort...

I'd like to see them all removed...

Did you cash your "Subsidy" checks?

Same as taking money for sex, cashing just one of them makes you a whore.

Bad part about you is you were/are a "CHEAP" two bit whore.

Didn't take much of a check to buy you. :roll:

Those "Millionaires" that get the BIG checks and talk bad about farm subsidies are labeled as "Prostitutes"........................out of your class by far.
 

Bullhauler

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
843
Reaction score
0
Location
South Dakota
Mike said:
Oldtimer said:
hypocritexposer said:
Bush tried to do this at least once, if not twice and was shut down by the Dems.

Both Dems and Repubs have shot it down...They've tried several times in the farm bill-but then these same millionaires start pouring the lobbyiest money in-- and both the Dems and Repubs on the take water down the bill and leave in so many loopholes its about a worthless effort...

I'd like to see them all removed...

Did you cash your "Subsidy" checks?

Same as taking money for sex, cashing just one of them makes you a whore.

Bad part about you is you were/are a "CHEAP" two bit whore.

Didn't take much of a check to buy you. :roll:

Those "Millionaires" that get the BIG checks and talk bad about farm subsidies are labeled as "Prostitutes"........................out of your class by far.


There aint no checks anymore it is all direct deposit. You are just a LIAR.
 

hopalong

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,019
Reaction score
0
Location
Az.
Bullhauler said:
Mike said:
Oldtimer said:
Both Dems and Repubs have shot it down...They've tried several times in the farm bill-but then these same millionaires start pouring the lobbyiest money in-- and both the Dems and Repubs on the take water down the bill and leave in so many loopholes its about a worthless effort...

I'd like to see them all removed...

Did you cash your "Subsidy" checks?

Same as taking money for sex, cashing just one of them makes you a whore.

Bad part about you is you were/are a "CHEAP" two bit whore.

Didn't take much of a check to buy you. :roll:

Those "Millionaires" that get the BIG checks and talk bad about farm subsidies are labeled as "Prostitutes"........................out of your class by far.


There aint no checks anymore it is all direct deposit. You are just a LIAR.

You would know they are direct deposit by how??? :D :D :D :D You receiving them????
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
hopalong said:
Bullhauler said:
Mike said:
Did you cash your "Subsidy" checks?

Same as taking money for sex, cashing just one of them makes you a whore.

Bad part about you is you were/are a "CHEAP" two bit whore.

Didn't take much of a check to buy you. :roll:

Those "Millionaires" that get the BIG checks and talk bad about farm subsidies are labeled as "Prostitutes"........................out of your class by far.


There aint no checks anymore it is all direct deposit. You are just a LIAR.

You would know they are direct deposit by how??? :D :D :D :D You receiving them????

Same Brothel. :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Yep- Bullhauler, they are direct deposit...
And I bet there are very very few that are actually involved in production Ag that truthfully can say they don't or haven't received some type of government funded "subsidy"...
Used to be just the farmers- but now with the EQUIP program- and all the funding hid under the name of "conservation"- and matching funds development grants, most rancher/cattlemen have the same "mailbox roll" in their hats the farmers had in their caps... :wink:
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
There are a lot of whores out there for sure.

But the whores I especially despise are the ones who condemn the programs they have voluntarily participated in and and think they are righteous because their amounts are lower than some others.

You know, the wealth envious "CHEAP - TWO BIT" whores.............that talk out of both sides of their mouth......................................

I have gotten a few checks myself. But I ain't gonna trash talk some others that have done it on a larger scale with much more of their own personal investments involved. :roll:
 

hopalong

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,019
Reaction score
0
Location
Az.
Oldtimer said:
Yep- Bullhauler, they are direct deposit...
And I bet there are very very few that are actually involved in production Ag that truthfully can say they don't or haven't received some type of government funded "subsidy"...
Used to be just the farmers- but now with the EQUIP program- and all the funding hid under the name of "conservation"- and matching funds development grants, most rancher/cattlemen have the same "mailbox roll" in their hats the farmers had in their caps... :wink:

They are not always direct deposit oldtimer, look it up, you have an option, or at least did!!!!!May have changed!
Once again some of you fail to look at facts... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Mike said:
There are a lot of whores out there for sure.

But the whores I especially despise are the ones who condemn the programs they have voluntarily participated in and and think they are righteous because their amounts are lower than some others.

You know, the wealth envious "CHEAP - TWO BIT" whores.............that talk out of both sides of their mouth......................................

I have gotten a few checks myself. But I ain't gonna trash talk some others that have done it on a larger scale with much more of their own personal investments involved. :roll:

So in other words- you are one that supports keeping the subsidies ?...
 

jingo2

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
907
Reaction score
0
Oldtimer said:
Mike said:
There are a lot of whores out there for sure.

But the whores I especially despise are the ones who condemn the programs they have voluntarily participated in and and think they are righteous because their amounts are lower than some others.

You know, the wealth envious "CHEAP - TWO BIT" whores.............that talk out of both sides of their mouth......................................

I have gotten a few checks myself. But I ain't gonna trash talk some others that have done it on a larger scale with much more of their own personal investments involved. :roll:

So in other words- you are one that supports keeping the subsidies ?...


Sure he is.

Sttays on this computer too much to tend to anything. So just have a ' crop' of something,let'er go to hell.....whine to the gov't and get a check.


It's the 'Bama way..
 

hopalong

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
8,019
Reaction score
0
Location
Az.
jingo2 said:
Oldtimer said:
Mike said:
There are a lot of whores out there for sure.

But the whores I especially despise are the ones who condemn the programs they have voluntarily participated in and and think they are righteous because their amounts are lower than some others.

You know, the wealth envious "CHEAP - TWO BIT" whores.............that talk out of both sides of their mouth......................................

I have gotten a few checks myself. But I ain't gonna trash talk some others that have done it on a larger scale with much more of their own personal investments involved. :roll:


So in other words- you are one that supports keeping the subsidies ?...


Sure he is.

Sttays on this computer too much to tend to anything. So just have a ' crop' of something,let'er go to hell.....whine to the gov't and get a check.


It's the 'Bama way..

How may post does he have as opposed to oldtimer?????Kinda like you and Starbucks Got your gift card in my truck!!! :D :D :D :D
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
The U.S. "Cheap Food" is a result of subsidies.

They have probably out lived their usefullness but watch food prices skyrocket when they are stopped.

Got a buddy that sold a section of corn growing dirt in Iowa a few weeks back.

It sold for $9,900.00 per acre. Somebody is getting ready for high-priced commodities...................................................
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
I could be incorrect, but in the past, have US farmers/ranchers not told their Canadian friends that the US does not have subsidies and have even went to the WTO/GATT to fight against Canadian subsidies????

Now they are admitting there are "extensive and quite rich" subsidies that need to be scaled back :???:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
hypocritexposer said:
I could be incorrect, but in the past, have US farmers/ranchers not told their Canadian friends that the US does not have subsidies and have even went to the WTO/GATT to fight against Canadian subsidies????

Now they are admitting there are "extensive and quite rich" subsidies that need to be scaled back :???:

Most/all ? direct subsidies go only toward farming...
There are few if any subsidies for cattle/ranchs- just conservation progams like EQIP.. Even the cattle livestock insurance program (LIP) for major death loss's from major catastrophe type situations ends this year...

The Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) is a voluntary conservation program, administered by USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), in which farmers and ranchers implement conservation practices on agricultural working land in return for financial cost-share assistance and technical assistance.

EQIP funds do not automatically go to recipients- and are usually gone fast...Lots around here have been going to help ranchers having to move their corrals or feedlots out of floodplains.. But sometimes you are on a waiting list for several years..

And I think its only been since either the 2002 or 2008 Farm Bill that 60% of the funding was designated toward livestock production..
A high level USDA official told me several years ago that the direct subsidies were on the way out- and would be replaced by conservation programs...
 

Latest posts

Top