• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Setting up a website

Help Support Ranchers.net:

What type of internet connection do you have?

• Dial up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hi-speed

• Broadband satellite

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heifer

Reaction score
I've started to set up my own website to help our bull customers look the bulls over prior to coming for a tour. Has anybody out there in Ranchers Land created their own website from scratch? (I'm guessing there might be a few from Ranchers Net) Any cow-punchers set up their own?

I'm also wondering how many of you are on dial-up versus hi-speed or satellite broadband, because my hunch is that most of our customers are on dial-up. I don't know how much data creates a site that's just tooooooo slow to download with dial-up.

Any thoughts out there?

i have set up our ranches website myself....though I do have a bachelor's degree in information systems...im more of a weekend cattle rancher.

www.k5-ranch.com

Heifer said:
I've started to set up my own website to help our bull customers look the bulls over prior to coming for a tour. Has anybody out there in Ranchers Land created their own website from scratch? (I'm guessing there might be a few from Ranchers Net) Any cow-punchers set up their own?

I'm also wondering how many of you are on dial-up versus hi-speed or satellite broadband, because my hunch is that most of our customers are on dial-up. I don't know how much data creates a site that's just tooooooo slow to download with dial-up.

Any thoughts out there?

PM or e-mail Macon-- He did have a program which allowed you to set up and take care of your own website---My wife set up ours...Nothing fancy, but it works as I have received several inquiries just because of it over the last couple years....Someday I need to have the wife show me what to do as it needs updating and she just hasn't had the time to get with me-- And I'm a computer dummy.....

Howdy,

This is Aztumbleweed's wife. I developed our website and have for a few friends who have no desire to know anything about doing it themselves. I knew basic HTML when I started and only build basic webpages. You can check out www.ccheartranch.com for my example. This has not been updated in over 2 years and needs to be totally revamped, but you can get the idea of basic for me. BTW Aztumbleweed wanted to make sure everyone knew that the "indian horse" was mine. :)

The amount of "data" isn't the issue on the speed of opening a website. It is the amount of images and fancy stuff that slows it down. If I find sites that take forever to come up, I just close them and find something else. I have software suggestions below if you are wanting to do this yourself.

I don't suggest MS Frontpage.

I used Dreamweaver the last time I updated my site. However, I lost all my software and no longer have my original computer, so I am having to find a web building/publishing software again and Dreamweaver is VERY expensive and not very intuitive or user friendly. It used to be available under a student discount for a reasonable amount but has actually gotten more expensive with the newer versions. I believe it is downloadable for a 30 day trial if you would like to check it out.

I wanted software I could use offline and any more, many of them are online based. I had a hard time finding the programs outside of Dreamweaver that would meet my needs, so here is a summary of my research. I wanted strong functionality at a reasonable price. Check out the following software and see what seems to fit your needs:

NetObjects Fusion: www.netobjects.com Fusion 9 JUST came out $199.95, but I found the prior version Fusion 8 right from NetObjects on Amazon.com for $50!! This was my favorite in all my research. It sounded like it had the power of Dreamweaver, but intuitive and easy for even the beginner. I consider myself intermediate. I just understand the HTML basics not all this new stuff websites seems to be able to do now. I looks like it is cheaper to start with the NetObjects Fusion 8 for $50 and then upgrade to Fusion 9 than it is to start right with version 9. www.NetObjects.com for information about NetObjects Fusion 9 and then search on Google.com under NetObjects Fusion to see what other information you can find about NetObjects Fusion. There also seems to be great online support for this product at gotFusion.com. I am planning on getting the NetObjects Fusion 8 from Amazon.com for the $50 and if I really like it I will upgrade to the 9 later as finances allow. I wouldn't get anything older than version 7 because NetObjects doesn't provide support for older versions anymore. Open the "full-feature listing (PDF)" for details on the website. This is one of the few I found that did not have 30 day trial downloads available.

Globalscape CuteSITE Builder: www.globalscape.com/cutesitebuilder. Again sounds very newbie user friendly but not so flexible for those of use who may want to "tweek" things in the code. Alot cheaper than the above Fusion 9, but not as cheap as I found the Fusion 8 on Amazon.com. Read its comments and see what you think. The advantage of this one is you can download and do a 30 day trial before buying.

I would also recommend Win2PDF software. www.daneprairie.com
I am just using it as an unregistered user for now and have for years. It is a very inexpensive software regardless if you register the product for full use without the "adder page". This program allows you to print documents into the PDF format. It shows up as one of your printers to print to and prompts you to save the PDF file. I consider this tool awesome being purchasing Adobe Acrobat is really expensive also. Printing to PDF seems to make some image intensive documents significantly smaller when you print to the PDF. It would be great for your bull catalog for someone to download.

Mr. Aztumbleweed is picking on me because I have a tendency to write an "epistle" when I write emails. Sigh ... I hope this helps.

Fun & Smiles :)

Although OT's site looks great and Macon's program is very resonably priced...I'm not real fond of the program. It has some tempermental glitches in it and I'm short of patience when it comes to the computer. Just an opinion, sorry Macon :oops: :(

Thanks so much, everyone, for all your input. And BRAVO on your work setting up your own websites. I'll check them all out & get back with questions.

Mrs. Aztumbleweed - thanks for all your research data... saves me many steps. Tell Mr. A that those of us without the Y chromosome are allowed to chat on at length, especially when we really know something about the topic! I don't plan on learning HTML code... I've messed around a little just using Microsoft Publisher, and so far, so good. I haven't tried to get fancy though.

I checked out what I've done on a neighbours dial-up, and the photos came up relatively quickly, but the font took a little bit longer to focus. There's quite a variation in dial-up speed, too, so I'll have to take that into account. Is anyone slower than 26 kps (or whatever the units are)?

In the meantime, thanks for all the suggestions.

Latest posts