• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Settlement of beef checkoff lawsuit includes attitude survey

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy

Reaction score
Settlement of beef checkoff lawsuit includes attitude survey of at least 8,000 producers

At least 8,000 cattle producers will be surveyed on their attitudes about the beef checkoff, as part of the settlement of the lawsuit challenging the checkoff that reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

The largest single attitude survey ever done on the checkoff was agreed to by the plaintiffs – Livestock Marketing Association, the Western Organization of Resource Councils, Jerry Goebel, Pat Goggins, Robert Thullner, John Willis and Leo Zentner – and the defendants – the U.S. Department of Justice, representing the Cattlemen's Beef Board (CBB), and the Nebraska Cattlemen's Association.

In May, 2005, the Supreme Court ruled the checkoff was a government speech program and thus was immune from the First Amendment challenge brought by the plaintiffs.

The settlement was filed by the plaintiffs and defendants on March 1 with the South Dakota Federal District Court.

Separately, a stipulation dismissing all outstanding claims in the original suit was filed with the court, on behalf of all plaintiffs except Herman Schumacher and John Smith, who declined to sign the settlement agreement.

"There have been several checkoff attitude surveys, but never one that has contacted this many producers," LMA President Randy Patterson said. "With so many industry groups now talking about improving the checkoff, getting the views of a broad cross-section of producers is the logical first step, and that's why we made it part of the settlement."

And, Patterson said, LMA and the CBB "look forward to working together to promote beef in the future."

Under the terms of the settlement:

…The survey will be paid for out of checkoff funds, and any costs expended by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in conducting the survey will be reimbursed by the Beef Board.

…The survey will include a "representative sample" of at least 8,000 cattle producers.

…At its discretion, USDA may hire an outside contractor to carry out the development and implementation of the survey.

…The questions to be asked in the survey will be developed with input from a representative of LMA; a representative from the Beef Board; a representative from the Federation of State Beef Councils, and one from USDA. USDA retains final decision-making authority with respect to the survey contents.

…The intent of the survey is to assess producer attitudes toward the beef checkoff program. Survey responses shall not constitute a request for a producer referendum, and the survey shall not form the basis of any claim, by the settling plaintiffs or others, that the USDA secretary is authorized or required to conduct a referendum.

The survey will include a "representative sample" of at least 8,000 cattle producers.

Oh, the pressure!!! :lol: :lol:

Do you think those names will be closely scrutinized by certain parties? :roll:

the chief said:
The survey will include a "representative sample" of at least 8,000 cattle producers.

I got a survey call on the checkoff a few weeks back. Don't know if it's related or not though. Took about an hour. No pressure here.

The survey definitely had an "Attitude" also.

Mike said:
the chief said:

I got a survey call on the checkoff a few weeks back. Don't know if it's related or not though. Took about an hour. No pressure here.

The survey definitely had an "Attitude" also.

That Canadian whiskey didn't have anything to do with the "Attitude"??? :eek: :lol: :lol: But sure took care of the pressure! :D

nenmrancher said:
What kind of attitude did the survey have Mike?

Like questions with 4 possible answers that would not have been my answers.

Example:

(paraphrasing)

How much did the Beef Check-Off benefit you last year.

1-Tremendously
2-Enormously
3-Immensely
4-Colossally

No, not really that misleading but close. :lol:

Mike said:
nenmrancher said:
What kind of attitude did the survey have Mike?

Like questions with 4 possible answers that would not have been my answers.

Example:

(paraphrasing)

How much did the Beef Check-Off benefit you last year.

1-Tremendously
2-Enormously
3-Immensely
4-Colossally

No, not really that misleading but close. :lol:

Was CBS doing the survey? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike, would you give an honest assessment of that survey, please.

Your exagerated sample was, I believe, quite a way off the mark.

I'm VERY sure that the survey you participated in was NOT any part of the proposal outlined in that story, since it has only very recently been committed to.

While this new one will be professionally designed to learn as much as possible from the cattle producers, I hope it also will have a component to find out what they actually know about the Beef Checkoff.

MRJ

Latest posts