• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Shortage Of Doctors

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -
Could your doctor call it quits? Some worry they will after the Supreme Court upheld the Affordable Health Care Act.

President Obama's healthcare bill has some local doctors weighing their options on whether to stay in the medical field.

They believe the cost of doing business won't be worth the outcome--especially older doctors who are already close to retirement.

Politics aside, Dr. J. Allen Meadows believes one thing is for sure when it comes to the President's healthcare bill.

"I know a lot of physicians, particularly ones who are a little bit older than I am. Their plan for when things begin to be implemented in 2014 is to retire."

He's concerned 1/3 of doctors in the tri-county area will say goodbye to the medical field simply because they don't want to spend the money to comply with new federal regulations this late in their careers.

"Even if only 20-30% of our physicians over 50 or 55 decide to stop practicing medicine, we're going to have a serious shortage of physicians in the tri-county area."

"That is a concern because you have a relationship with your doctor and you know your doctor and your doctor knows you and there's a comfort there with them," says Montgomery resident Tamara Card.

Card is watching what happens in the next few years as the healthcare law becomes reality, mostly because her daughter has diabetes and is often at the doctor's office.

"That's something you definitely want to have an expertise in is when you're choosing a doctor and when you're going to a doctor," says Card.

Physicians like Meadows believe if seasoned doctors quit, consumers will feel the pinch.

It doesn't help when folks like Bob Lavender say his granddaughter chose not to pursue her passion.

"Her step father is a surgeon and advised her not to go into the medical profession," says Lavender.

That's why Meadows says healthcare bill or not, he's a doctor for the long haul.

"Even if the Supreme Court had made changes, there are gonna be changes in healthcare that are gonna happen in my lifetime and during my career as a practicing physician. I'm making preparations for those changes."

What is even worse is that some people still believe in those same people...
EH????? :wink:

No one has mentioned yet, the concern that many of the brightest minds will move to foreign capitalistic countries where they can still practice how they deem appropriate.

There will be a change in the type of doctor we will be producing. Yeah for us!

Welcome to the world of doctor shortages, lotteries for family doctors, waiting lines and higher taxes to pay for something you were promised but can't actual get within a reasonable timeframe. :wink:

Welcome to emergency rooms filled with people with bug bites and a running nose because they think their HEALTHCARE IS FREE.

Yep Welcome to GOVERMENT PROVIDED PREVENTIVE CARE that you can only access after you are to late to prevent anything. :roll:

Report: 83 percent of doctors have considered quitting over Obamacare

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/09/report-83-percent-of-doctors-have-considered-quitting-over-obamacare/#ixzz20As3EdEY

okfarmer said:
No one has mentioned yet, the concern that many of the brightest minds will move to foreign capitalistic countries where they can still practice how they deem appropriate.

Can you name the countries of the world that now have or will have after implementing AHCA- more capitatlistic health care programs :???:

Oldtimer said:
okfarmer said:

Can you name the countries of the world that now have or will have after implementing AHCA- more capitatlistic health care programs :???:

Damn right I can. They do as they please in the Philippines. You have 2 inalienable rights in the Philippines....the right to starve and the right to die. If the Doc doesn't get his dough UP FRONT, he won't be workin' for you. If you are in the hospital, your family or someone better bring your meals to you, cause there ain't no foodservice. Same goes for a pillow, sheets, or blankets. Bring 'em or lay on the pallet, your choice. The big hospitals in Makati are a little better, but not much. And the thing is, the doctors there are EXTREMELY well trained and qualified, but they don't drive Benzes and have staff with tailored uniforms and several ladies to handle insurance and appointments. And they don't take Wednesdays off to tee up. If I had to have an expensive medical procedure done, I would sure look into having it done over there. Roundtrip airfare wouldn't run much more than a day or 2 at the most's stay in a US hospital. See the family, go to the beach, eat some giant prawns, and watch the locals steal the electric lines for the copper.

this morning i had an appointment with one of my doctors from the VA,..

I was sat in a room with a large flat screen TV... and a webcam..

she was in an office somewhere... and didn't seem all to comfortable with the new way of treating a patient...

it didn't inspire much confidence on my part either..

not sure what this government is coming to but this isn't exactly what I expected from the VA

loomixguy said:
Oldtimer said:
okfarmer said:

Damn right I can. They do as they please in the Philippines. You have 2 inalienable rights in the Philippines....the right to starve and the right to die. If the Doc doesn't get his dough UP FRONT, he won't be workin' for you. If you are in the hospital, your family or someone better bring your meals to you, cause there ain't no foodservice. Same goes for a pillow, sheets, or blankets. Bring 'em or lay on the pallet, your choice. The big hospitals in Makati are a little better, but not much. And the thing is, the doctors there are EXTREMELY well trained and qualified, but they don't drive Benzes and have staff with tailored uniforms and several ladies to handle insurance and appointments. And they don't take Wednesdays off to tee up. If I had to have an expensive medical procedure done, I would sure look into having it done over there. Roundtrip airfare wouldn't run much more than a day or 2 at the most's stay in a US hospital. See the family, go to the beach, eat some giant prawns, and watch the locals steal the electric lines for the copper.

Well you make a good point, especially since surgeons in the US make 6 to 7 times what their counterparts make in other industrialized countries,at least this is what I have read/heard. Family practitioners are about on par with other countries. But the only ones that outspend Pharma and AMA (American Medical Associaation) at least according to the reporter on C-Span the other day was the US Chamber of Commerce with respect to lobbying Congress.
A friend of mine, a single mom with two children who works every day still qualified for state assistance for her children's health care. One of her children had to have drainage tubes installed in his ear due to recurring ear infections. Two doctors said they didn't take patients with the state insurance. The third doctor she went to, a doctor from a foreign country, had an office full of children, all getting the tubes. Its a shame our doctors supposedly can't make a living doing procedures that the foreign doctor welcomed. :?
As I have asked before, when these doctors quit, where are they going? Mexico?? liable to get shot going across the border, Canada?? they have a healthcare system already, Europe?? I believe most of the countries there have universal healthcare. Maybe they will all go to the Phillipines that should make the price of healthcare there cheaper due to the increased competition, that is unless they all get together and form a PMA and control the prices. Surely they wouldn't.

Chances are alot of them will not move anywhere as they will just RETIRE. And those that are not of retirement age now will likely change their career choice to something that doesn't require dealing with the work load due to OBAMACARE, leaving you with a SERIOUS doctor shortage.

What you have to start figuring on is those entering higher education deciding that being a lawyer will be more profitable than being a doctor. And with the government continuely looking out for the law profession with their rules and regulation that make sueing a guaranteed bet, I see A LOT MORE Ambulance chasing Lawyers sueing over worked Doctors and Malpractice Insurance Premiums sky rocketing forcing even more Doctors to limit their services.

BTW Doctors come to Canada to get in on the Medical education system then when they are done, they go back to South Africa. And speaking of the Plillippines we are so short on nurses that we are bring they in from there. So what we have is a shortage of good doctors and more and more of the Nurses we have you can't understand.

Google in "Medical Tourism". Thailand comes to mind. They have some of the best U.S. doctors in the world and do medical procedures for a fraction of the cost.

It's some of the finest medical care too.

Obamacare will "Outsource" medical care. No doubt.

Oldtimer said:

There is a big, big world out there. Like the best teachers I ever had, I will tell you that I could give you the answer, but I will let you do your own homework as you will learn more. Mike has already helped you get started. We have spoken mostly of money and when the difference is enough, you will see more than just business people leaving the country. What we have not mentioned is frustration. When frustration of dealing with this system is high enough, you will see people exiting for tgis as well.

Good post okfarmer, but to expect oldtimer to do any research on his own os like expecting him to prove the harassment charges and for him not to LIE

EH???

Hip Replacement TOTAL costs in Thailand is just over $18,000.00.

Average cost in the USA is around $75,000.00.

The difference? Gov't regulations of course!

Plus, care, quality, & services are better in Thailand. They aim to please. They're in competition with the rest of the world..............................

Mike said:

Plus, care, quality, & services are better in Thailand. They aim to please. They're in competition with the rest of the world..............................

For the 18K they'll throw in a complimentary rub n' tug to boot! :D

loomixguy said:
Mike said:

For the 18K they'll throw in a complimentary rub n' tug to boot! :D

:lol: :lol:

The 18K ought to qualify one for a "private nurse" 24/7 as well. What a way to go.... :D Happy ending!

OT's idea of a private nurse would be Frau Blucher........ 8)

okfarmer said:
Oldtimer said:

There is a big, big world out there. Like the best teachers I ever had, I will tell you that I could give you the answer, but I will let you do your own homework as you will learn more. Mike has already helped you get started. We have spoken mostly of money and when the difference is enough, you will see more than just business people leaving the country. What we have not mentioned is frustration. When frustration of dealing with this system is high enough, you will see people exiting for tgis as well.

I will not let the libtards run me out of my own country! :mad:

Mike said:

So the doctor's fees are approximately the same here as in Thailand and are negligible when comparing costs???

Latest posts