• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sick calf question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jillaroo said:
Might be acidosis.
We sometimes have calves that are affected. They walk around like they are drunk.
I mix 1 TBSP baking soda with a litre of water and tube them.
Works every time!

agree on the baking soda for acidosis

to it i add:

1 tsp lite salt

1 can beef consume for nutrition

1/2 little envelope fruit pectin to heal the gut

2 qts water (we are not allowed liters down here)

got this outa a 'beef producers handbood- MSU yrs ago.

primarrilly for scoured calves.

bad scours, calfs gut gets to the point where milk don't do him any good---but bug thrives on it.

and always dehyrated----

might sound goofy---but you get a wreck going, try it----everybody i've given this recipe too said it worked for them----i take all milk away, give this as often as every 6 hrs till calf is better----picked one up the other day---10 days old----could barely stay standing up, after i got him up---badly shrunk----mom was standing there licking him when found----

put him on bed of bale wrap in topper on toyota----(no, i don't keep that in there for a bed, but it does accumulate) hauled him home, tubed him----middle of nite cow check he was up looking out window---daylite he was trying to crawl out window--tubed him again and back to mom----some times---often in fact---one or two doses is all it takes

Latest posts