• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sight Un-Seen Bull Purchase

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A couple of hidden rules of the deal on these sight unseen purchased bulls I learned from experience. The owner wants your money right away and waits for the check to clear after the sale which is only the way to do business. The owner is also assuming risk on a buyer they do not know that well. Usually those deals are quite a distance to truck and bull. Only one man and that wanted me to come pickup a bull after his wintering program.

The trick for the buyer is you do not see the bulls you did not get. Once in a while they can really doll up a bull by himself to look sharp without anything else to compare to. Many of these bull sales have what I call feeder bulls in the sale. Ones that were presold or not intended to be sold or bulls that are reimbused bulls from buyer from last years sale.

I let the owner take the risk. IF they are going to send a bull 800 to 1200 miles they sure do not want to bring him back.

Then my expences to leave during feeding a calving time. Fastest trip where I want to go is 3 days if I fly some of these places at last minute rates are $900 plus rental car and motel. Now days flights take a day to get to Rapid City or Bismarck or Bozeman anyway. When you get to the sale they make you feel obliagted to buy and pay more. However I just spen some of my bull budget traveling and geting hired help at home then to arrive home and find out everything is a mess.

Northern Rancher said:
Bull Sales are like high school dances if you don't get the one you went to get sometimes your better just going home alone.

but, seems you're already there......................... :wink:

A couple years ago we got caught in a snow storm and could make to sell had a friend already there so we called him and told him the bulls we liked from the catalog. We knew this person very well and knew his taste for bulls. Turn out to work for us that time. Personly I perfer to be there that way the only one to blame is me myself and I.

Latest posts