• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Slaughtered a hog

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
Yup, we did.

Raised 1 hog for our own consumption this fall. Took it to the plant last week and picked it up today wrapped all in nice lil packages and split it with our son and his family.

At today's market price, the hog was worth $145.

We paid the butcher shop $259 for slaughter, cut, wrap, curing the hams and freezing.

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture?

I should add that I remember 45 years ago when Dad was getting $200 for the best of his market hogs that graded at the top of the grid.

Guess you should have processed yourself, just think how much money ahead you would have been. It's easy work :roll: I got a couple deer to do up, just bone and grind and my back gets tired.

I'll come up and cook the cracklins out for lard and make souse meat out of the head. We use everything but the squeal. You can have the Chitlins though.....................

My next one I'm going to just cut it up at home. we did it all as a kid and we do our own venison. Theres a video on youtube a butcher from England Scott Rea very informative and easy to do in my opinion he has a lot of videos of butchering and sausage making. We need the grind to do some sausage here so I'll give it a whirl.

Latest posts