• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sleepless in the Prairie

sweetbasil

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1,070
Reaction score
0
Location
U.S.A
May this message find each of you well and safe. June marks seven years since I moved to the Midwest. It is hard to believe it has been this long. The experiences that this journey has brought me is like walking through the wilderness. During this journey, I have witnessed God at work in my life. I learned that all that I need is God to make it through anything and succeed in life. As long as I do my part to honor God in behavior and artist use, I trust He takes responsibility for my well-being.

I don’t know if there is a breakthrough coming my way on something that I have prayed for over 22 years, because the devil seems to be working overtime lately. In December, my house was impacted with water damage and ended up being under construction for about two months. That mark the second incident. I contracted a virus with all the symptoms like those of COVID-19 on January 1st and it moved to my lungs, which I now understand the pain when the lungs are struggling to grasp for air. It was not an easy experience to go through it alone. I also learned that my little “nephew” who was scheduled to start college in the fall was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in his brain. It was removed late May, but he will have to go through a lot of surgeries and the pain of the whole trial. On Saturday, I walked into my house to find a lake in the house. A pipe broke in between the wall in the bathroom downstairs and the garage. I will learn more about the types of repairs next week once I get an estimate. This year indeed has felt like I am far from reaching the valley in the journey. The experiences of this year and being a lone during this time with no contact with others have made it very lonely. I am OK to be alone, but being lonely is a complete different feeling. I know that God reminds me in His Word that I am no alone, but sometimes I wish I could have someone to share a meal. Despite everything, I am thankful for His protection, provision, and providing my mom and I with good health, and allowing me the opportunity to have a job right now.
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,705
Reaction score
17
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
sweetbasil said:
May this message find each of you well and safe. June marks seven years since I moved to the Midwest. It is hard to believe it has been this long. The experiences that this journey has brought me is like walking through the wilderness. During this journey, I have witnessed God at work in my life. I learned that all that I need is God to make it through anything and succeed in life. As long as I do my part to honor God in behavior and artist use, I trust He takes responsibility for my well-being.

I don’t know if there is a breakthrough coming my way on something that I have prayed for over 22 years, because the devil seems to be working overtime lately. In December, my house was impacted with water damage and ended up being under construction for about two months. That mark the second incident. I contracted a virus with all the symptoms like those of COVID-19 on January 1st and it moved to my lungs, which I now understand the pain when the lungs are struggling to grasp for air. It was not an easy experience to go through it alone. I also learned that my little “nephew” who was scheduled to start college in the fall was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in his brain. It was removed late May, but he will have to go through a lot of surgeries and the pain of the whole trial. On Saturday, I walked into my house to find a lake in the house. A pipe broke in between the wall in the bathroom downstairs and the garage. I will learn more about the types of repairs next week once I get an estimate. This year indeed has felt like I am far from reaching the valley in the journey. The experiences of this year and being a lone during this time with no contact with others have made it very lonely. I am OK to be alone, but being lonely is a complete different feeling. I know that God reminds me in His Word that I am no alone, but sometimes I wish I could have someone to share a meal. Despite everything, I am thankful for His protection, provision, and providing my mom and I with good health, and allowing me the opportunity to have a job right now.

So sorry to hear about all you have gone through. I only wish you were closer. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, and all I can think of is "never give up." You are in my thoughts and prayers.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
21,930
Reaction score
29
Location
Big Muddy valley
Sorry for all your troubles, So Glad you realize you have friends here at Ranchers.
2020 has been a difficult year for many so you my be lonely but you sure aren't alone.

Take Care, Michael
 

sweetbasil

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1,070
Reaction score
0
Location
U.S.A
Faster horses said:
sweetbasil said:
May this message find each of you well and safe. June marks seven years since I moved to the Midwest. It is hard to believe it has been this long. The experiences that this journey has brought me is like walking through the wilderness. During this journey, I have witnessed God at work in my life. I learned that all that I need is God to make it through anything and succeed in life. As long as I do my part to honor God in behavior and artist use, I trust He takes responsibility for my well-being.

I don’t know if there is a breakthrough coming my way on something that I have prayed for over 22 years, because the devil seems to be working overtime lately. In December, my house was impacted with water damage and ended up being under construction for about two months. That mark the second incident. I contracted a virus with all the symptoms like those of COVID-19 on January 1st and it moved to my lungs, which I now understand the pain when the lungs are struggling to grasp for air. It was not an easy experience to go through it alone. I also learned that my little “nephew” who was scheduled to start college in the fall was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in his brain. It was removed late May, but he will have to go through a lot of surgeries and the pain of the whole trial. On Saturday, I walked into my house to find a lake in the house. A pipe broke in between the wall in the bathroom downstairs and the garage. I will learn more about the types of repairs next week once I get an estimate. This year indeed has felt like I am far from reaching the valley in the journey. The experiences of this year and being a lone during this time with no contact with others have made it very lonely. I am OK to be alone, but being lonely is a complete different feeling. I know that God reminds me in His Word that I am no alone, but sometimes I wish I could have someone to share a meal. Despite everything, I am thankful for His protection, provision, and providing my mom and I with good health, and allowing me the opportunity to have a job right now.

So sorry to hear about all you have gone through. I only wish you were closer. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, and all I can think of is "never give up." You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hello Faster Horses,

Thank you for the prayers and your friendship. I wish you were closer, I am looking forward to having the opportunity to connect when I visit Montana next time.
 

sweetbasil

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1,070
Reaction score
0
Location
U.S.A
Big Muddy rancher said:
Sorry for all your troubles, So Glad you realize you have friends here at Ranchers.
2020 has been a difficult year for many so you my be lonely but you sure aren't alone.

Take Care, Michael

Thank you, Michael. Yes, 2020 has been quite a year for many people, but the good thing is that the year is going by very fast. June.

Take care,
Sweetbasil
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,609
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
Good to have you back on ranchersnet, sweet basil! I don't make as much time for internet as in the past. Lots of great-grandkids nearby is a blessing, and so is reasonably good health for both of 'the eldest generation! The sixth generation on this ranch range from age 2 (soon to be joined by a little brother)in one grandsons' family, and three little girls ages about six months to age 8 in the other family. I will be 80 years old next month, and am thankful to be in good enough health to enjoy life, even if it is somewhat slow-paced and painful and can't do some things I'd like. I don't have to look far to see people with much more pain and ill health than I have, so do appreciate my blessings.

We have been blest with enough rain to grow pretty good amount of grass, and cattle are looking good and the brandings in this area are nearly over. Think there is one in the area today. I was told about 5:30 this morning I didn't need to get up and fix breakfast before my partner went someplace to brand, which is another life's little blessings, tho I'm not very good at 'sleeping in', it was nice not to have to jump up really early.

The creek running behind our house has been running for more than two years now, so we definitely are in a good rain cycle. It drains a very large area, from Kadoka, SD to 1880 Town to Okaton, SD, along the north side of I-90, which I'm guessing is about 40 miles, so can get a little too close! And even just 3" deep in the walk-out basement a couple of years ago definitely was TOO CLOSE! At least it was clear, no mud, no close neighbors, so a good scrubbing with Clorox water took care of the 'damage'. But we STILL haven't built the 'sea wall' I want, to prevent it happening again. And, given that many years, it dries up entirely, and relatively few years that it overflows even a little bit, I'm not really overly burdened by the messes it makes, considering the beauty all the trees that it supports gives me. And that is just the 'frosting on the cake', as the real blessing is the lush pastures all that rain has produced. We haven't had to worry much about having enough grass for our cows to thrive on, for a few years now. For cattle ranchers, drought is far worse that a little too much rain!


I'm sorry to hear of those tough health problems for you and your nephew! Treatments and healing, and accepting outcomes can be so hard for both the 'patient' and the family who loves them! I hope it gives you some comfort to know your friends here on ranchers.net are sending best wishes and prayers your way!

I'm wondering what size town you live in. Sometimes a small community can nearly smother new comers with friendship, so I'm hoping some of that finds you soon! Wishing you the blessings of friends and good health.

mrj
 

sweetbasil

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1,070
Reaction score
0
Location
U.S.A
mrj said:
Good to have you back on ranchersnet, sweet basil! I don't make as much time for internet as in the past. Lots of great-grandkids nearby is a blessing, and so is reasonably good health for both of 'the eldest generation! The sixth generation on this ranch range from age 2 (soon to be joined by a little brother)in one grandsons' family, and three little girls ages about six months to age 8 in the other family. I will be 80 years old next month, and am thankful to be in good enough health to enjoy life, even if it is somewhat slow-paced and painful and can't do some things I'd like. I don't have to look far to see people with much more pain and ill health than I have, so do appreciate my blessings.

We have been blest with enough rain to grow pretty good amount of grass, and cattle are looking good and the brandings in this area are nearly over. Think there is one in the area today. I was told about 5:30 this morning I didn't need to get up and fix breakfast before my partner went someplace to brand, which is another life's little blessings, tho I'm not very good at 'sleeping in', it was nice not to have to jump up really early.

The creek running behind our house has been running for more than two years now, so we definitely are in a good rain cycle. It drains a very large area, from Kadoka, SD to 1880 Town to Okaton, SD, along the north side of I-90, which I'm guessing is about 40 miles, so can get a little too close! And even just 3" deep in the walk-out basement a couple of years ago definitely was TOO CLOSE! At least it was clear, no mud, no close neighbors, so a good scrubbing with Clorox water took care of the 'damage'. But we STILL haven't built the 'sea wall' I want, to prevent it happening again. And, given that many years, it dries up entirely, and relatively few years that it overflows even a little bit, I'm not really overly burdened by the messes it makes, considering the beauty all the trees that it supports gives me. And that is just the 'frosting on the cake', as the real blessing is the lush pastures all that rain has produced. We haven't had to worry much about having enough grass for our cows to thrive on, for a few years now. For cattle ranchers, drought is far worse that a little too much rain!


I'm sorry to hear of those tough health problems for you and your nephew! Treatments and healing, and accepting outcomes can be so hard for both the 'patient' and the family who loves them! I hope it gives you some comfort to know your friends here on ranchers.net are sending best wishes and prayers your way!

I'm wondering what size town you live in. Sometimes a small community can nearly smother new comers with friendship, so I'm hoping some of that finds you soon! Wishing you the blessings of friends and good health.


mrj

Hello MRJ,

Thank you for welcoming me back to the "family" here on ranchers, the prayers and good wishes, and for a great post. I love the sound of water and I think having a creek near a house must be a beautiful thing. I appreciate your positive outlook on life as well. I admire the resiliency of our farmers and ranchers and the way they handle challenges that came with the Bomb Cyclone. My town has a population of almost 200,000. My birthday is next month as well, so I am glad to know that you are a July person as well :) May your weekend be filled with great blessings.
 

sweetbasil

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1,070
Reaction score
0
Location
U.S.A
Greetings Everyone,

Hope this week was great for each of you. This time of the months is normally very busy for me. I expect to have the Auditors here any moment and next week I will be getting ready for their visit. My primary role in this company is to oversee the operations and increase/optimize processes to support our business in the Market. I get to touch the good, ugly, and anything in between that comes with this role. Thanks to God's grace, our transition to this Market has been extremely smooth since 2015. I have expanded the role so much and a lot more responsibilities have been added since I started. In addition to the responsibilities associated with this role, I have been assigned to manage larger projects. Right now, I have three projects, and one of them is coming to an end.

It was a project that gave me a lot of exposure to the technical aspect of the business and I got to work with so many people and vendors, including CAT. I have to confess that this role has been a great challenge. I like the adrenaline rush that I get from the challenges. My manager resides in a different State and I only get to talk to him once a week if his schedule allows. I only have seen him six times in almost five years. The role can be lonely at times, since I am the only person in my division that resides here outside of my director. The learning is constant which I appreciate because I love to learn and it helps me grow as a professional. I go through seasons that are very busy, but the winter season tends to be the busiest of them all. This year, I expect my busiest season to start next month. One of the main drawbacks of this role is not being properly compensated for the amount of responsibility that I have and the long days that I put in. For example, on the week of May 25th, I needed to submit an application to the Market to participate in a process. I just needed one piece of information from my manager. I requested of him to provide that information by the 28th because I was going to be in a training that week. I like to be conscious of my partners' time, and if I need their input on a particular thing or have someone do something based on his/her area of expertise, I like to give them plenty of time to get the task done. In this case, I gave my manager a 2.5 weeks notice. He waited two days before to realize he didn't have access to the system that would enable him to complete the task. He then proceeded to assign another person to do it and it took the person four times before she was able to complete the task correctly. I was in a training that Friday to obtain a certification in Agile Project Management, which I paid almost $1800 to advance myself in the industry. My manger reached out to me and I needed to stop the exam that I was about to complete to assist him in getting the task done that I asked him to do. I didn't finished with him and the other person until around 7 pm that Friday. I absolutely hate these types of situations because they could have been prevented. It appears that I find myself needing to solve fires that are unnecessary a lot and then I need to make-up the time to complete my own responsibilities, which results in working long days. Due to COVID-19, we are working from home since March. They sent us to work from home in a rush and a lot of people do not have the proper equipment to work from home. For me, I ended up needing to pay $60 out of pocket in order to get a piece of equipment to connect my large monitors, so that I can perform the financial reports that I do on a monthly basis. I also work with a lot of data on a regular basis, and the small screen on my laptop is useless. On Wednesday evening, I stated experiencing a lot of pain around my neck and shoulder blade on my left arm. It gradually got worst throughout the night and on Thursday, I was experiencing severe pain. I asked my doctor if he could take a look at it, and he indicated that the pain is due to the lack of proper egornomics, basically, I do not have the proper equipment to work which leads to not being able to maintain proper posture. I have been putting a lot of strain on my neck shoulders with the current work setting that I have. The doctor wrote a letter on the spot and recommended for my company to provide an adjustable desk to help me with the posture. I could easily go and invest the $300 to get the adjustable desk, but I don't believe I am responsible to supply office equipment to maintain the work from home policy. The pain medicine has helped me greatly to get through the rest of this week. I hope that soon I will know if I can have at least the adjustable desk to help my posture. It is hard to find dedicated employees and like my doctor said " if they don't get it together, they will lose a real gem". I am not a gem, but I like most people, I have a limit and if my manager doesn't get onboard, I will be forced to explore other opportunities for the future.
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,705
Reaction score
17
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
sweetbasil said:
Greetings Everyone,

Hope this week was great for each of you. This time of the months is normally very busy for me. I expect to have the Auditors here any moment and next week I will be getting ready for their visit. My primary role in this company is to oversee the operations and increase/optimize processes to support our business in the Market. I get to touch the good, ugly, and anything in between that comes with this role. Thanks to God's grace, our transition to this Market has been extremely smooth since 2015. I have expanded the role so much and a lot more responsibilities have been added since I started. In addition to the responsibilities associated with this role, I have been assigned to manage larger projects. Right now, I have three projects, and one of them is coming to an end.

It was a project that gave me a lot of exposure to the technical aspect of the business and I got to work with so many people and vendors, including CAT. I have to confess that this role has been a great challenge. I like the adrenaline rush that I get from the challenges. My manager resides in a different State and I only get to talk to him once a week if his schedule allows. I only have seen him six times in almost five years. The role can be lonely at times, since I am the only person in my division that resides here outside of my director. The learning is constant which I appreciate because I love to learn and it helps me grow as a professional. I go through seasons that are very busy, but the winter season tends to be the busiest of them all. This year, I expect my busiest season to start next month. One of the main drawbacks of this role is not being properly compensated for the amount of responsibility that I have and the long days that I put in. For example, on the week of May 25th, I needed to submit an application to the Market to participate in a process. I just needed one piece of information from my manager. I requested of him to provide that information by the 28th because I was going to be in a training that week. I like to be conscious of my partners' time, and if I need their input on a particular thing or have someone do something based on his/her area of expertise, I like to give them plenty of time to get the task done. In this case, I gave my manager a 2.5 weeks notice. He waited two days before to realize he didn't have access to the system that would enable him to complete the task. He then proceeded to assign another person to do it and it took the person four times before she was able to complete the task correctly. I was in a training that Friday to obtain a certification in Agile Project Management, which I paid almost $1800 to advance myself in the industry. My manger reached out to me and I needed to stop the exam that I was about to complete to assist him in getting the task done that I asked him to do. I didn't finished with him and the other person until around 7 pm that Friday. I absolutely hate these types of situations because they could have been prevented. It appears that I find myself needing to solve fires that are unnecessary a lot and then I need to make-up the time to complete my own responsibilities, which results in working long days. Due to COVID-19, we are working from home since March. They sent us to work from home in a rush and a lot of people do not have the proper equipment to work from home. For me, I ended up needing to pay $60 out of pocket in order to get a piece of equipment to connect my large monitors, so that I can perform the financial reports that I do on a monthly basis. I also work with a lot of data on a regular basis, and the small screen on my laptop is useless. On Wednesday evening, I stated experiencing a lot of pain around my neck and shoulder blade on my left arm. It gradually got worst throughout the night and on Thursday, I was experiencing severe pain. I asked my doctor if he could take a look at it, and he indicated that the pain is due to the lack of proper egornomics, basically, I do not have the proper equipment to work which leads to not being able to maintain proper posture. I have been putting a lot of strain on my neck shoulders with the current work setting that I have. The doctor wrote a letter on the spot and recommended for my company to provide an adjustable desk to help me with the posture. I could easily go and invest the $300 to get the adjustable desk, but I don't believe I am responsible to supply office equipment to maintain the work from home policy. The pain medicine has helped me greatly to get through the rest of this week. I hope that soon I will know if I can have at least the adjustable desk to help my posture. It is hard to find dedicated employees and like my doctor said " if they don't get it together, they will lose a real gem". I am not a gem, but I like most people, I have a limit and if my manager doesn't get onboard, I will be forced to explore other opportunities for the future.

I realize that quality employees don't grow on trees and can't understand why your company doesn't realize that. Surely they know. Anyone these days who hires employees HAS to know. I hope and pray that changes for you and I hope and pray they get you the adjustable desk. I also hope you put in for reimbursement for the $60 you paid out of pocket.

I certainly wouldn't make any employment changes until this covid-19 business (monkey business in my estimation) gets over.
But then again, what do I know? I am not in the job market, so I probably shouldn't say. I do hope you don't have to keep taking
pain pills in order to do your work!!

It has been quite windy in many areas and now there is a fire south and east of us. It is WAY too early for fires!! It is dry where we are, but we can irrigate so that really helps, but that isn't true of everyone, every place. We went to SW Mt to get a sideroll sprinker and it is dry in some areas along 1-94. Where we were going, they received 13" of wet snow on Monday night, June 8th!! I just see on the weather in that area, the elevations above 5000 ft are going to receive almost that much tomorrow night!!

I hope things go well for you during the audit. Thanks for staying in touch.
 

sweetbasil

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1,070
Reaction score
0
Location
U.S.A
Hello Faster Horses,

Thank you for your post. They don't have a transition plan for when we might be going back to the office. Someone in the company responsible for helping employees improve their egornomics suggested for me to try to make changes with my current work at home setting, and that we are not going back to the office any time soon. In regards to the adjustable desk, I doubt I will get one to use while working from home. It will cost me about $500 for the adjustable desk and a used chair that would fit the table that I am using at home. She suggested for me to use my counter space, if I have it available to set-up my computers and change the work station. She also said that she used a block from her garage to elevated her feet. God blessed me with a lot in life, but he cut me short on the height, and in regards to this situation, my feet hang from the chair like "Cuties" on trees. I am using another little stool under the table to rest my feet and prevent them from taking naps on me. I could get the desk, but I would have a a challenge finding a desk chair to fit the table. I don't believe it is right for me to buy the office equipment for my company. I am planning on exploring other opportunities to make a decision in the Spring of 2021, but I will need to seek God's counsel in prayer and fasting before to help me "know" in my spirit what direction to take. I am trying to "Be Still" right now as I wait for some decisions that will impact my future before I pickup the momentum on what role I want to explore next. On a different note, it has been extremely windy here in the last couple of days. I am planning on meeting my mom later this month and drive back with her. We are planning on taking the Utah and Wyoming route, but I will need to monitor the weather forecast very closely before we get on the route. I am so looking forward to driving through Utah again, but we might need to take the southern route if there is snow. I hope that you'll have a great week.
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,705
Reaction score
17
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
sweetbasil said:
Hello Faster Horses,

Thank you for your post. They don't have a transition plan for when we might be going back to the office. Someone in the company responsible for helping employees improve their egornomics suggested for me to try to make changes with my current work at home setting, and that we are not going back to the office any time soon. In regards to the adjustable desk, I doubt I will get one to use while working from home. It will cost me about $500 for the adjustable desk and a used chair that would fit the table that I am using at home. She suggested for me to use my counter space, if I have it available to set-up my computers and change the work station. She also said that she used a block from her garage to elevated her feet. God blessed me with a lot in life, but he cut me short on the height, and in regards to this situation, my feet hang from the chair like "Cuties" on trees. I am using another little stool under the table to rest my feet and prevent them from taking naps on me. I could get the desk, but I would have a a challenge finding a desk chair to fit the table. I don't believe it is right for me to buy the office equipment for my company. I am planning on exploring other opportunities to make a decision in the Spring of 2021, but I will need to seek God's counsel in prayer and fasting before to help me "know" in my spirit what direction to take. I am trying to "Be Still" right now as I wait for some decisions that will impact my future before I pickup the momentum on what role I want to explore next. On a different note, it has been extremely windy here in the last couple of days. I am planning on meeting my mom later this month and drive back with her. We are planning on taking the Utah and Wyoming route, but I will need to monitor the weather forecast very closely before we get on the route. I am so looking forward to driving through Utah again, but we might need to take the southern route if there is snow. I hope that you'll have a great week.

Sounds like you have a plan, to have a plan. Your patience is to be commended as is your faith.

It has been windy everywhere.
Have a safe trip.
 

sweetbasil

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1,070
Reaction score
0
Location
U.S.A
Faster horses said:
sweetbasil said:
Hello Faster Horses,

Thank you for your post. They don't have a transition plan for when we might be going back to the office. Someone in the company responsible for helping employees improve their egornomics suggested for me to try to make changes with my current work at home setting, and that we are not going back to the office any time soon. In regards to the adjustable desk, I doubt I will get one to use while working from home. It will cost me about $500 for the adjustable desk and a used chair that would fit the table that I am using at home. She suggested for me to use my counter space, if I have it available to set-up my computers and change the work station. She also said that she used a block from her garage to elevated her feet. God blessed me with a lot in life, but he cut me short on the height, and in regards to this situation, my feet hang from the chair like "Cuties" on trees. I am using another little stool under the table to rest my feet and prevent them from taking naps on me. I could get the desk, but I would have a a challenge finding a desk chair to fit the table. I don't believe it is right for me to buy the office equipment for my company. I am planning on exploring other opportunities to make a decision in the Spring of 2021, but I will need to seek God's counsel in prayer and fasting before to help me "know" in my spirit what direction to take. I am trying to "Be Still" right now as I wait for some decisions that will impact my future before I pickup the momentum on what role I want to explore next. On a different note, it has been extremely windy here in the last couple of days. I am planning on meeting my mom later this month and drive back with her. We are planning on taking the Utah and Wyoming route, but I will need to monitor the weather forecast very closely before we get on the route. I am so looking forward to driving through Utah again, but we might need to take the southern route if there is snow. I hope that you'll have a great week.

Sounds like you have a plan, to have a plan. Your patience is to be commended as is your faith.

It has been windy everywhere.
Have a safe trip.

Thank you, Faster Horses!
 

sweetbasil

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1,070
Reaction score
0
Location
U.S.A
Greetings Everyone,

I hope that everyone had a lovely Father's Day. My weekend was very quiet, stayed home and cleaned the upstairs before my mom's arrival. I am right now trying to find the courage to tackle the downstairs (LOL). I love to clean and find it as soothing as when I iron clothes. In the process of cleaning the upstairs and organizing the "office", I pulled a muscle on my lower back and got to see the entire galaxy for a few seconds. I need to slow down, because I am learning that even though I look like I am in my mid 20s due to my height, my body is entering the aging stage rapidly. I ended up asking my neighbor if he could help me lift a table and put it in the back of my car to take it to the donation center. I couldn't believe it how much pain I was under, but thankfully, my back feels back to "normal" today.

On Friday, my manager asked me if I could be brought onboard to help support a very large project. Our business in another State is transitioning to a new Market, which is similar to the one we participate in my State. The transition started last year and my manager thought that I would play a project management role for that project, but they didn't ended up bringing me onboard at that time. He said that they were planning on hiring someone but given the expense already incurred and how behind they are, they thought that I would be able to assist the Project Manager from the Consulting company that they hired turn it around and get it back on schedule. He indicated that they will need at least 25% of my time per week. I briefly saw a presentation but it appears that one of the phases is 6 weeks behind schedule. I will know more of the status of the overall project tomorrow. I don't know how I feel about this opportunity, since I asked my manager that if he was planning on me being part of this project, that I needed to be brought onboard at the beginning, but that didn't happened. Now, I will need to review a lot of information and learn about the different requirement to get caught up in order to step-in to assist. The irony is that last year, I knew in my gut that I would be asked to step-in to help at some point because I wasn't impressed with the project manager that they hired to manage the transition. One of my strengths in business is managing execution, which I felt this person lacked in that area based on my interactions with him. I think managing projects can be a challenge particularly when a person is from the outside and does not know the culture or the collaboration styles across different departments. There are a lot of factors that can determine the direction of a project. I feel blessed by the opportunity to learn a new Market, but a little upset because I don't get pay extra for the additional work that this will add to my workload. I am coming up to five years and I have exceeded expectations in the last four years and drastically expanded my role, to the point that I am also responsible to educate those working in government of the changes in the Market. I requested for them to evaluated my role last year but they come back that I need to be in the company for seven years because I can be considered for a promotion. I work more than 40 hours a week for the majority of the year. I am thankful for the job, but I am also thinking that this might not be the company that God might have for me in the future. Only God knows, that is "why" I am seeking Him for direction as to what to do next in regards to my career. I have always been the underdog through my whole life, the person who worked hard to learn well whatever I need to do and tackle it like a charging bull. Everything that I am now has come at a great price. Now, as I get older, I am thinking about my retirement. At this point in my life, I don't think God might want me to be married and have a family, which means that I need to ensure that I have enough in retirement, so that I can afford to pay others to look after me when I am old. One of the greatest fears that I have in life is of my mom dying, because I know that I will have no family left and I am very family oriented. While God is my eternal anchor, my mom is my worldly anchor and I adore her so much. I know one of her greatest hopes and prayers is that by the time God takes her with Him, that I would have a family of my own. I would love to find a good Christian man, preferable one with country roots, but I think there I something wrong with me because I only attract mosquitoes in caravans. I have surrendered the desire of wanting to have a family of my own and raise children and I just want God to do His will in my life. On a different note, I will get to travel across country with my mom this week/weekend and if the weather is good, I will get to see Utah again :)
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,705
Reaction score
17
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
SB, I am not sure why there are facebook and twitter and other logos at the bottom of your post.
Perhaps you should take a look at that...
Never give up. :pretty: Remember, our time is not God's time.
I would meet with upper management and state your case. Sounds to me like
you have a good one. How can they ask you to increase your workload 25% without compensating you for
doing so?

Have a safe trip and enjoy your mom.
 

sweetbasil

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1,070
Reaction score
0
Location
U.S.A
Faster horses said:
SB, I am not sure why there are facebook and twitter and other logos at the bottom of your post.
Perhaps you should take a look at that...
Never give up. :pretty: Remember, our time is not God's time.
I would meet with upper management and state your case. Sounds to me like
you have a good one. How can they ask you to increase your workload 25% without compensating you for
doing so?

Have a safe trip and enjoy your mom.

Hello "Faster Horses",

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. I am not sure "why" my posts are showing the Facebook or Twitter logos, maybe it is the marketing associated with this site? I have Psalm 46:10 framed on my desk at home to remind me that God is in control. God knows I need to learn to trust Him more each day after being raised as a very independent person. I always tend to want to solve things on my own. Yes, I have approached to evaluate my paygrade and they provided me with a 3.5% increase last year after expanding my role beyond their expectations and exceeding their expecatations for my current role. Last week I finally started to get integrated to support this project and there will be a lot of things that I will need to do to support the current Project Manager (Consultant) because they are very behind on several phases of this project. I know I will be seeking God's guidance on this new task. will be spend some time tomorrow to do a few training on this market to help me better understand the different aspects of the markets, and their associated timelines, so that I can draft a plan for targeting the key activities that need to be completed to get caught up. Even though I will not get a raise for taking even more work than I am already doing, I am thankful for the opportunity to learn about a new market in the west.

Happy Sunday,
Sweetbasil
 

sweetbasil

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1,070
Reaction score
0
Location
U.S.A
Greetings Everyone,

May this post find each of you well and having a blessed week. On June 26th, I flew to Las Vegas, Nevada to meet my mom and then we drove back to the Midwest. I love to drive and she and I have been wanting to drive across country for many years. God presented me with this opportunity, and it was truly a blessing. We spent Friday in Las Vegas, which is a ghost town right now due to the COVID-19. Since she had the car, I took advantage of finding a person to cut my hair. The hair stylist was super friendly and very kind and good at what he does. One of the other stylist I wished I could adopt because he was so lovely. This particular stylist recommended Crepe Expectation, which is located just outside of Las Vegas Blvd. I had the BBQ Crepe and it was super delicious. We started our journey very early on Saturday across Nevada and Utah. I absolutely love driving across Utah, but I didn't get to see the red clay monuments across Utah like I did the first time I drove to Minnesota in 2015. I believe I cut over through a short part of Arizona and then into Rocky Mountains. This trip was also beautiful and a lot more fun because my mom was in the car with me.

We drove straight to Provo on Saturday, but prior to that, we stopped in St. George, Utah. I love St.George's little downtown district. My mom found some old books at one of one of the antique stores there. After St.George we drove straight to Provo and made it there in time for lunch. I like to eat a good meal and enjoy food as well as cooking. Thanks to Yield and people's reviews, I found Lucy's Brazilian Kitchen on the University Ave in Provo. I absolutely fell in love with Provo. I love how clean the residents keep the city. The little shops where the restaurant is located are absolutely adorable. It is a lovely college town. They were so many places to sit out and enjoy a cup of coffee and/or dine. The weather that day was very hot, which remind me of the low desert in California. My mom asked me if I was feeling "OK" because ordered some meat and a salad for lunch, and not the traditional Brazilian entrees that I would normally choose. The reason for saving my calories during my lunch meal was because I saw the ice-cream shop next to the restaurant. Nobody should leave Utah without having had some ice-cream! The Rockwell Ice-Cream shop sells the best ice-cream outside of Nevada. That strawberry scoop of ice-cream was pure deliciousness. It was so hot and the ice-cream was absolutely the perfect treat. After the delicious meal and ice-cream, my taste buds were singing "all is well within my soul". LOL. We then proceeded on our journey to our final destination for the day, Chayenne, Wyoming. We arrived at the hotel in Chayenne very late. My energy levels were so hight after the delicious lunch that I drove us straight from Provo to Chayenne. There is something about driving that soothes my soul.

I feel like maybe in another life I must have been a wild horse because I greatly enjoy the openness the country terrain offers. When something is "eating at me" or feel lonely, taking a short drive outside of my town helps me process whatever it is bothering me. My mom and I made the mistake of not having breakfast before laving Chayenne. I am not a big breakfast eater, because I usually feel hungry around 11:30 AM, it would be safe to say that I am more of a brunch/lunch type of person, but my mom likes her breakfast every morning. I was so cranky and tired by the time we arrived in South Dakota, but the food at Tally's Silver Spoon in Rapid City was superb and took the devil out of me. We made it in time for their breakfast and lunch menu. My mom drove the rest of the way home. We created some fund memories and I got to see Wyoming this time, but unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to explore Chayenne. My four of July weekend was spent taking five exams to renew my Life Insurance Licenses. I have to have certain number of continued education every two years and my licenses are due for renewal on July 31st. I took the first three exams on July 4th and the other two exams on July 5th. I learned a lot about Medicare and Medicare Supplementals, more about annuities, and the other subjects, in addition to the refresher on Life Insurance Ethics.

I completed the studying before taking the exams along with the quizzes associated with each course. Thanks to God's grace and the Holy Spirit's guidance, I passed all five exams. I then proceeded to make the payment and submitted the documentation to the respective States where I am licensed in. The month of July along with the all quarter months are more busier for me at work than normally, because of additional tasks that are assigned to me. For example, one of the things that I do every Quarter is to educate people that work in Government on the changes that are taking place in the Market, and make a recommendation as to how they should vote on certain changes. These people participate in Committees in the Market that are designated for those in Government, and they don't know the Market processes or follow the changes as closely as I do. It is an opportunity for us to connect with them, build relationships, but also to help them gain more understanding on those changes, so that it will help them vote in a manner that will help our residents in the State. I also do something similar for leadership at work where I make recommendations for how they should vote on certain changes in the Market, but to get to the point of making those recommendations, it requires for me to not only be very active in the monthly meetings that take place in the Market, but also take copious notes of what I learned, and do further research on a particular issues as necessary. Once II have a good understanding of each proposed change, I also have to identify how it will impact our business in the Market and use that as another factor to make a final recommendation to leadership. Now, I am just working on planning the next steps to support the new project that I was brought onboard and get ready to welcome another year of life on Monday. On a different note, I visited Omaha last Saturday and discovered the delicious hot sauces made by a local company called Volcanic Peppers and their hot sauces are excellent. I tried the "Green Volcan Hot Sauce", "Corny Chipotle Hot Sauce", and the "Chocolate Lightning Hot Sauce" and they are all extremely tasty, that I even stopped at a local grocery store to get a few to take with me. These sauces would add even more flavor to a bowl of chili. The company's website is www.volcanicpeppers.com
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,705
Reaction score
17
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Wow! You have been busy, you ARE busy!! And sounds like you have a very important job, especially educating people who work in government! That could be challanging. :D

I chuckled when I read about "Chayenne"....it is spelled "Cheyenne"....changing it to "Chayenne" made it sound French. :lol:
It's a Cowboy town, of course. So funny to see it spelled with an 'a'.

I didn't know there was a Tally's Silver Spoon in Rapid City. I will check that out. I miss going to Rapid City. We went
quite a bit when we lived near there. Now so many stores have closed they tell me. That's sad. Herberger's, Shopko,
Dress Barn, etc. Kohl's is about the only department store left. What a shame. Where we live the only place to buy
clothes besides Shipton's Big R is Walmart (UGH!) or Maurices. Not much of a choice.

Glad you enjoyed the drive with your mom. How long is she here?

Also, I know nothing about Brazilian food, so tell us more, please. We have a good friend that went there to
give a horse training clinic and we saw his pictures. He was on a beautiful plantation. On the way back to the airport
he asked the cab driver to drive him downtown Rio dejanerio and the driver refused, saying it wasn't safe to go there. :shock:
Anyway, he said they eat a lot of BEEF there, so I am curious how they prepare it.
 

sweetbasil

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
1,070
Reaction score
0
Location
U.S.A
Hello Faster Horses,

Yes, it is definitely an interesting experience educating and working with those in government. I have only been to Rapid City twice, the first one to see Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse, and last time when we drove across country. I would like to explore it more in the future, but I don't tend to travel west of the Missouri River. There are some boutiques in my town and other department stores (e.g. Macys, Kohls, etc.), but I tend to have a difficult time finding clothes for petite women. I found a store in Minneapolis that carry styles that are classy, trendy, and that I can wear for work. The clothes at this store are very expensive, but thanks to God, I have been blessed with finding some very nice pieces at very low prices. I save on clothes by buying them off season. Late last year, this particularly store had some beautiful jumpsuits, but their prices were way out of my budget. I waited patiently and I ended up buying two pairs in different colors at $23 a piece. I was extremely excited when I found them on this sale, because the original price was at $148 a piece. I love the material because I don't have to iron them when I travel. I also find some other items for this fall. My mom will be here for a while. She usually stays here for the summer, but I hope she can stay a little longer this year. In regards to Brazilian food, restaurants outside of Brazil usually offer a Rodizio on their menu, which is an all-you-can-eat service.

The menu also offers items like hamburgers, flat breads, etc. The Rodizio typically includes the salad bar. The salad bar normally offers a great selection of items and cheeses. Also the salad bar offers the Feijoada, which is a stew made with different cuts of pork, bacon, and black beans. The stew is very flavorful and it is served with white rice. The salad bar also offers mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables, along with other typical items to make a good salad. The primary item that comes with the Rodizio service is the Brazilian barbecue (churrasco). I learned somewhere that the churrasco was invented in the 1800s in Brazil by gauchos (men), which at that time were Brazil's cowboys that developed a style of roasting beef on skewers over the embers of a fire with the intention of bringing out the natural flavors of the meat. In a Brazilian restaurant, when a person orders the Rodizio service, the gauchos come around with different cuts of meat on big skewers and will serve the customer an endless amount of meat. Lamb tends to be part of the meat selection in addition to chicken, pork, beef, and shrimp. They also go around with skewers of roasted pineapple. The meat is usually perfectly seasoned. I personally think dinning at a Brazilian restaurant is fun for special occasions. There is an excellent Brazilian Steakhouse in Sioux Falls, but I do not know if they have their salad bar open right now due to COVID-19. I believe there is one in Billing, Montana as well.
 

Latest posts

Top