• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Slow day:

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
so this is how I entertained myself;

I thought I show some of the challenges of our Circle Cliffs riding. I had ridden this little canyon about six times prior with no problems. I was in lead when the next rider in line got out of my tracks about two feet. I didn't have an idea there was quicksand in The Gulch. The runoff was exceptionally high that year. We all got a little wet,,, but we didn't have to cut the cinch. We turned around, I had had enough of that.

CopyofTheGulch28thApril05copy020.jpg

CopyofTheGulch28thApril05016-1.jpg

My son and Ol Blue

CopyofTheGulch28thApril05023-1.jpg

The head of Long Canyon, overlooking The Circle Cliffs.
South of Boulder Utah.

CopyofTheGulch28thApril05034.jpg

Typical riding country:

CopyofTheGulch28thApril05009.jpg

Double arch down by the Burr Trail.

TheGulch28thApril05065.jpg

Lunch break on The Water Pocket Fold.

TheGulch28thApril05070.jpg

Coxcomb Arch on The Water Pocket

TheGulch28thApril05053.jpg

Just to show my tender side.

TheGulch28thApril05078.jpg

So you've taken to using technology to hide the faces of folks i might know? :lol: :lol: I still see Keith W> :D That Burr Trail/Boulder country is amazing. Have ya ever rode the henry mountains? Or followed the trail of the Hole-in-the-rock Pioneers? Both are list toppers and a must do! :D

leanin' H said:
So you've taken to using technology to hide the faces of folks i might know? :lol: :lol: I still see Keith W> :D That Burr Trail/Boulder country is amazing. Have ya ever rode the henry mountains? Or followed the trail of the Hole-in-the-rock Pioneers? Both are list toppers and a must do! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Soooo ya caught me. I thought that green follage on Keith's face would pass as a weeks growth. I got a good laugh out of your comment.

No,,, on the Henry Mtns. They look really rough. I rode a trail bike on the dirt roads on the Henrys about thirty years ago. Does that count? I've heard stories of how terrible the Buffalo hunt is down there.

Iv'e driven to Hole-in-the-rock on this side a couple of times years ago in a pickup, and been there in a boat a half dozen times. The real challenge is going there via The Grey Mesa. (the other side of the river)
I did that on a 600cc Honda two wheeler three or four times and the last time, on a 4-wheeler. It's a 60 mile round trip from Hell. I swore I'd never do it again. However It's been long enough,,,, If you really want to,,, I'd show you the way. (on 4-wheelers) The last time I was there, I saw two dead horses in about half way, with their shoes still on ????

mustang said:
leanin' H said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Soooo ya caught me. I thought that green follage on Keith's face would pass as a weeks growth. I got a good laugh out of your comment.

No,,, on the Henry Mtns. They look really rough. I rode a trail bike on the dirt roads on the Henrys about thirty years ago. Does that count? I've heard stories of how terrible the Buffalo hunt is down there.

Iv'e driven to Hole-in-the-rock on this side a couple of times years ago in a pickup, and been there in a boat a half dozen times. The real challenge is going there via The Grey Mesa. (the other side of the river)
I did that on a 600cc Honda two wheeler three or four times and the last time, on a 4-wheeler. It's a 60 mile round trip from Hell. I swore I'd never do it again. However It's been long enough,,,, If you really want to,,, I'd show you the way. (on 4-wheelers) The last time I was there, I saw two dead horses in about half way, with their shoes still on ????

My cousin's daughter married into a family from Bicknell that runs cows on the Henry Mountains. I love the place and want to make another trip down soon. Got lots of relatives in Hanksville as well. I've been to hole-in-the-rock from the Boulder side as well and been down to the lake. And followed the trail back from Bluff part way. Anyway, great pictures. :D

Its starting to look like I may have to spend all spring out there. Lisa better get busy selling leather products. :oops: I can't afford to be gone that long unless she supports me. :)

why is there no visible water in an area refered to as The Water Pocket ?

beautiful country!

jigs said:
why is there no visible water in an area refered to as The Water Pocket ?

beautiful country!

I'll tell you what I've heard,, which may or may not be true,,, the Water Pocket Fold is a fault that runs about fifty miles from the Colorado River north to Notom and maybe further. There are a lot of canyon and draws coming of the Fold that catch runoff in pot holes or pockets, which are called tanks by the local cowboys. Those sources of water are what make it possible to run cows in a lot of that desert country.

Like my old riding partner use to say,,, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Latest posts