• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

snowballs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sw

Reaction score
Can anyone remember what it is called when the snow conditions are just right, the wind blows and starts making snowballs? We had them rolling all over the place this morning. :???:

snowballs2.jpg

These big ones are about 12 to 15 inches, they roll until the wind is not powerful enough to blow them anymore.

snowballs.jpg

Sorry SW I have never seen or heard of that before. Those pictures are really neat would like to see more and to be completely honest when I saw them the first thing that came to mind was sure be easy to build the kids a snowman without working to hard :wink: :)

geez, I thought that you would know, course in the Madison the wind blows so darn hard the snow never touches the ground and its never warm enough to make good snow balls unless you are next to Norris hot springs. I haven't seen this for quite a few years, and yes we could build a village of snowmen real easy if we had those two boys over here. Hey, didn't Hillary say that it takes a village to raise a kid? I say if I had the kids I could raise a village :wink:

It is called Snowrollers.
Snowrollers are molded by strong, gusty surface winds. They look like a rolled-up carpet or small muff and are often hollow. They can be as small as a golf-ball or as large as a 30-gallon drum,.but usually snowrollers are about 10-12 inches in diameter and a foot wide.

Snowrollers appear in open fields under specific weather conditions, often present following the passage of a strong winter storm.

First, the ground surface must have an icy, crusty snow, on which new falling snow cannot stick.

On top of this, about an inch of loose, wet snow, the sticky kind that makes good snowballs, must accumulate. The optimum air temperature appears to be around freezing, from 28 to 34 F.

Finally, a gusty and strong wind, usually 25 mph or higher, is needed to build the snowroller.

Snowroller formation begins when the wind scoops chunks of snow out of the snowfield, they roll, bounce and tumble, like snowy tumbleweeds, downwind. Additional snow then adheres to this seed, and the snowroller grows until it finally becomes too large for the wind to push, leaving behind a characteristic track linking the snowroller's origin to its final resting spot.

Because snowrollers have not been widely reported in the past, many consider them a rare event. But across North America, their formation is likely frequent. In fact, a snow-covered field may sport hundreds of individual snowrollers seemingly waiting for someone to stack them up.

I'll bet that NR has them all of the time but due to the water content of his snow, most of his would be that blue color :wink:

Boy, are you guys EVIL!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

NR isn't posting, betcha he's just checking out the "weather" (on the boards) :twisted: :twisted:

Big Muddy rancher said:
sw said:
I'll bet that NR has them all of the time but due to the water content of his snow, most of his would be that blue color :wink:

Are you trying to tell us that NR has Blue Balls?

Ohhhhh, you two are so baaaaad!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ranchwife said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
sw said:

Are you trying to tell us that NR has Blue Balls?

Ohhhhh, you two are so baaaaad!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking it but ... :frowns: :frowns:
"WHO" gave them to Him :?:

A roll in the snow is good a a cold shower

I had a story about a "Skimo" gal (Eskimo), an Igloo, 2 Snowballs and a Ice Sickle, but we're to keep it clean here… and it was a Lie Anyway

I almost got my Sour Dough rating while I was in Alaska… But I got a Little mix-up (Never Killed a Skimo) and that Bear won't soon forget this Montana sheepherder :!: (Play on an Ol' Joke) :mad: :cboy:

sw said:
geez, I thought that you would know, course in the Madison the wind blows so darn hard the snow never touches the ground and its never warm enough to make good snow balls unless you are next to Norris hot springs. I haven't seen this for quite a few years, and yes we could build a village of snowmen real easy if we had those two boys over here. Hey, didn't Hillary say that it takes a village to raise a kid? I say if I had the kids I could raise a village :wink:

Yeah, generally its rocks that size that the wind is rolling but we don't like to brag :wink:

On the other thought if you did make a village Hillary would make a great idiot don't you think? :dunce: :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts