• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

So OT, how did the "record" holiday sales turn out

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hypocritexposer

Reaction score
Oldtimer said:
So how do explain a record high shopping weekend- and a predicted record high year for holiday sales :???:

So what were the sales for Dec. OT?

Sales at U.S. retailers increased 0.1% in December, the government said Thursday, in a report that bucked expectations of stronger sales during the holiday period.

"Apparently, all those reports of a robust holiday shopping season were made by people too much into the holiday spirits as retail sales did not surge in December," said Joel Naroff, president of Naroff Economic Advisors, Inc.

Electronics were touted as one of the strongest sectors for holiday shopping. But the Commerce Department's data showed a 3.9% monthly decline at electronic stores.

Sales at online retailers, another supposed holiday hotspot, fell 0.4%.

Sales at the nation's malls were lower in December. Sales at general merchandise stores fell 0.8%, including a 0.2% decrease at department stores.

Excluding a 1.5% rise in motor vehicles sales, retail sales for the month fell 0.2% — much weaker than the 0.3% gain expected.

Sales at gasoline stores fell 1.6% in December. Excluding autos and gasoline, sales were flat on the month.

So-called "core" sales, which exclude autos, gasoline, and building materials, fell 0.2% in December. This was the one and only drop in core sales seen during 2011.

econ.jpg

Consider: During the past 20 years, the U.S. population has grown by 23% while the dollar has lost about 39% of its purchasing power to inflation. When we adjust accordingly, the rebound in retail sales from the bottom in April 2009 merely gets us back to the per capita spending of December 1999, over twelve years ago.

Retail sales have been recovering since the trough in 2009. But the "real" consumer economy, adjusted for population growth is still in recession territory — 7.0% below its all-time high in January 2006.

http://howestreet.com/2012/01/retail-sales-up-scant-1-in-december-core-retail-sales-decline-chart-of-retail-sales-adjusted-for-population-growth-and-inflation/

When OT opens his mouth, a lie comes out.

When his mouth is closed, he's thinking of his next one.

Pretty darn nice around here- yearling heifers selling for $1100-1200... Bred heifers selling for $1600+.... Was at the sale today and an old friend/neighbor bought about 70 bred heifers at a steal price- $1575...

But in talking with him after the sale said it was going to be a hardship-- as his hired men (sons) were still on winter vacation in Bermuda-- and he had planned to head out tonight for the Montana Circuit Finals Rodeo in Great Falls- and then fly on to the antique car auction in Scottsdale Arizona-- and this purchase would screw up his trip as he would have to get his truck and trailer and haul them...

Luckily-- during the time we were visiting- he got ahold of a trucker that he could hire that would handle it for him...

Yep times are tough !!

Best thing of the day was the cattle buyer that bought my steer calves this fall came up to me today- and told me that after wintering my calves on stubble and hay- he shipped them this week to Nebraska to his finishing yards-- and they were the nicest thickest pounding out calves he'd shipped this year...
But don't tell Katrina :wink: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
Pretty darn nice around here- yearling heifers selling for $1100-1200... Bred heifers selling for $1600+.... Was at the sale today and an old friend/neighbor bought about 70 bred heifers at a steal price- $1575...

But in talking with him after the sale said it was going to be a hardship-- as his hired men (sons) were still on winter vacation in Bermuda-- and he had planned to head out tonight for the Montana Circuit Finals Rodeo in Great Falls- and then fly on to the antique car auction in Scottsdale Arizona-- and this purchase would screw up his trip as he would have to get his truck and trailer and haul them...

Luckily-- during the time we were visiting- he got ahold of a trucker that he could hire that would handle it for him...

Yep times are tough !!

Best thing of the day was the cattle buyer that bought my steer calves this fall came up to me today- and told me that after wintering my calves on stubble and hay- he shipped them this week to Nebraska to his finishing yards-- and they were the nicest thickest pounding out calves he'd shipped this year...
But don't tell Katrina :wink: :lol:

in 2001 it took 1.2 pounds to buy a gallon of fuel- today it takes 2.4 pounds, what happened oldtimer?

Again you are looking at one side of the equation Oldtimer :roll: . Have you bothered to look at the price of the things those cattle prices are paying for? :? Try comparing the price of gas or maybe the price of a loaf of bread compared to what they were a few years ago. Then tell us just how much more your cattle are buying now compared to what they bought in the past.

Tam said:
Again you are looking at one side of the equation Oldtimer :roll: . Have you bothered to look at the price of the things those cattle prices are paying for? :? Try comparing the price of gas or maybe the price of a loaf of bread compared to what they were a few years ago. Then tell us just how much more your cattle are buying now compared to what they bought in the past.

Well its looking better than I ever saw- gas was below $3 a gallon for awhile this month- opposed to over $4 a gallon in 2008 with GW-- and we had nowhere near the price on cattle then as we do now...Saw old bred broken mouths- that were so wild they tried to jump into the auctioneer booth- and that would have been culls in my world sell for over $1000 a head...My old buddy that had been hoping a few weeks ago to sell his heifer calves for $900 decided to hold on another month or two because he has the cheap feed and he's almost been guaranteed $1200...

Seen fellows walking in on their days off and cashing 2 week paychecks that are over $5000 clear... Employment agency has open job positions that when put together are as thick as a NYC phonebook...

So tell me when it was that good up here under GW's reign... :???:

And to top it I had the cattle buyer that bought my steer calves this fall- (a good Republican)- tell me that he just shipped my calves to be finsihed in Nebraska this week- and they were they best calves (thickest- best gaining on stubble/forage) that he had .... Supported my belief we're doing something right...
But don't tell the bigoted folks like Katrina that aren't up here enjoying the real cattle world..... :wink:

Weather is great- and a big bunch of this part of the country that isn't already vacationing in Mexico, Hawaii, or Bermuda are taking advantage of those extra income and taking off to the Circuit Finals rodeo in Great Falls... I would be too except Grandma hates that 4 Seasons Areana- which I agree with her on....

..What Will The Cost Of Living Be In 2012?

As 2011 draws to a close, it is clear that the U.S. economy is at least beginning to stabilize. Unemployment reached its lowest level since February during the final quarter of 2011, while the average U.S. household has also enjoyed having additional disposable income since the close of 2010. With the Social Security Administration (SSA) also announcing a 3.6% cost of living increase for benefits recipients in 2012, you could be forgiven for thinking that the next 12 months will provide considerable economic respite for households across the land.

Reasons for Caution
Despite the broadening beam of light at the end of the tunnel, the cost of living benefits increase is tempered by other government proposals for 2012. To begin with, the Medicare Part B premium is set to rise for the first time in three years, and there are fears that this may at least partially offset the increases in benefit. Not only this, but the maximum salary subject to social security tax is also set to rise from $106,800 to $110,100 in 2012, which will leave approximately 10 million U.S. citizens facing inflated tax liabilities.
Whether you work or are currently claiming social security benefits, it is becoming increasingly clear that 2012 may at best be a year of consolidation rather than considerable growth. This position is not helped by the financial crisis that is developing in Europe, which is providing a clear threat to the banking sector and economic growth as a whole. With this in mind, U.S. households need to remain prepared as they enter 2012, and take steps of their own to guard against a potential increase in the cost of living.

Inflation and the Rising Cost of Food
With issues of tax and medical insurance placed to one side, there are other more fundamental concerns that influence the day-to-day cost of living. Inflation and the cost of food are two relevant examples, and both have soared throughout 2011 while the economy has stalled and unemployment has remained uncomfortably high. While the cost of both items are unlikely to remain as high throughout 2012, many U.S. consumers will still need to adjust their budgets to account for expenditures that is out of proportion from their incomings.

In terms of food, becoming a smart shopper applies both to the outlets that you frequent and the way in which you select and purchase goods. Many retail outlets and supermarkets now have an online store and delivery function, and this allows you to shop in a considered manner and without the lure of impulse buys and a handily placed electronics isle. It is also important to look beyond the basic retail price of food items, as this alone does not indicate whether it provides value for money. Break its cost down into the price per unit or individual measurement, so that you can make a considered purchasing decision on the deals that you find.

Energy Costs
There is mixed news for motorists and homeowners when it comes to fuel and heating costs. The national average price of gasoline is expected to drop to $3.10 per gallon by January 2012, and this trend should continue throughout the remainder of the year. However, truck drivers and commercial diesel users can expect the price of fuel to remain high due to an increase in the exports of diesel. The cost of household heating oil is also set to rise significantly throughout the first quarter of 2012, with a harsh winter set to take its toll on consumers' wallets and force prices skyward.

As a motorist or homeowner, now is the time to prepare for these cost hikes and make the necessary adjustments. With diesel prices unlikely to fall significantly throughout 2012 and beyond, it may be worth considering either converting your vehicles engine to run on gas or investing in a more fuel efficient model to get you from point A to B. In terms of energy usage within the home, consider implementing LED lighting throughout your property as opposed to standard fluorescent fittings, and be sure to seek out and engage new energy providers once your current deal has expired. These steps will help to reduce your annual lighting and heating bills significantly, and offset any increase in base prices.

The Bottom Line
With all this information in mind, it should be clear that while the cost of living in the U.S. for 2012 may well fall from this year's highs, it will still remain out of proportion from the average household income. This means that families and consumers must tighten their belts and consolidate for the next 12 months, and offset their own cost of living increases by adopting sound financial practices.

ECONOMYOCTOBER 20, 2011.Prices Rise 0.3%, Prompting Boost in Government Benefits
By DAMIAN PALETTA and SARA MURRAY
Consumer prices rose 0.3% in September, the Labor Department said Wednesday, and were up 3.9% year over year. The 12-month increase—the largest since September 2008—stemmed from a jump in gasoline prices related to the Arab Spring. Higher prices at the pump earlier this year taxed households hit by high unemployment and lower home values.

Social Security recipients will see their first raise in their checks since 2009 next year, as inflation accelerated this year. Phil Izzo has details on Lunch Break. Plus, inflation remains tame and what percentage are you?
.Excluding food and energy, prices rose 0.1% last month and were up 2% for the 12 months.

The climb in prices means millions of Americans who rely on government programs such as Social Security will receive their first cost-of-living increase since 2009. It also will raise taxes on close to 10 million of the 161 million workers who pay Social Security taxes. That's because in 2012, Americans will have to pay the payroll tax on their first $110,100 in earnings, up from the $106,800 in earnings in 2011.

Nearly 55 million Social Security beneficiaries will see their checks rise by 3.6% beginning in January, the Social Security Administration said. For the more than eight million recipients of Supplemental Security Income—assistance for the poor and disabled—the increase will start in December.

The 3.6% increase could be partially or completely offset by a bump in the premiums that seniors pay for Medicare Part B benefits, which have been held flat for many beneficiaries because of low inflation in the last two years. For many retired Americans, Social Security benefits come in around $1,000 a month, and Medicare premiums can eat up 10% of that or more.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services could announce their premiums and copayments for 2012 as soon as next week. Because Medicare premiums are deducted directly from Social Security checks, many Americans may never see an increase.

"It's very difficult to make your ends meet," said June Engelhardt, 79, who volunteers at a senior center in Toledo, Ohio. She said that without Social Security she would be "out on the street. I live in a mobile home and my rent is $225 a month. Otherwise, I'm squeaking through."

Social Security checks are vital to many American households: 20.3 million more people would have fallen below the government's official poverty line last year without the payments, according the Census Bureau.

"It's a joke," said Pete Morelli, 80, of his cost-of-living increase being offset by the Medicare increase. "They are going to give us a little extra money and then raise our insurances. That's ridiculous." Mr. Morelli moved to Williamsburg, Va., several years ago after retiring as a mechanic and school bus driver in New York.

Others affected by the cost-of-living increase include roughly 2.3 million retired federal civil servants, and close to two million more retired members of the military. It could also draw attention on Capitol Hill, as lawmakers look for ways to trim the budget.

Earlier this year, the White House and congressional Republicans debated whether to shift toward a more-conservative inflation measurement that would likely have cost-of-living adjustments move up much more slowly. Budget forecasters have projected that moving to this formula could save roughly $300 billion over 10 years.

While those relying on programs such as Social Security may see an income boost, most other Americans are coping with falling incomes and rising prices. Higher prices eat into consumers' purchasing power, which plays a prominent role in economic recovery because it accounts for 70% of economic activity

Sometimes Oldtimer it has to be about more than just your little corner of the world. :roll:

OT thinks of himself and now that he is retired, he is thinking of government support, not self sufficiency.......a "true conservative" indeed :roll:

Analyst predict gas well above $4 by spring...

U.S. Gas Prices Likely $4.25 a Gallon by Spring 2012

As the most expensive year ever for gasoline purchased at the pump comes to a close in the U.S.,

experts predict that gas, while dropping at the pump in the past month due to slowing demand, will likely spike as much as $1 dollar per gallon from current prices as early as spring 2012.

that while the price of a gallon of gas in the U.S. will likely drift lower through January due to low demand the price may jump $1 per gallon from those lows by spring.

The rising price of oil has pinched margins of refineries since low consumer demand in the U.S. has pushed prices at the pump lower, even though 2011 was the most expensive year ever on average for a gallon of gas in the U.S. Americans are set to spend $483 billion at the pump this year, breaking the 2008 record of $448 billion, according to Oil Information Service.

"We are at the highest fuel prices ever for this time of year,

we will see prices in 2012 that will break ... records."

highest price ever... in 2011,... prices in 2012 will break records..

not really what a slumping economy needs to hear....

What was the cost of a bottle of whiskey in 2009 oldtimer, how much did you spend at the waterhole buying friends as opposed to now? :D :D :D
What did a new set of tires cost you in 09 as opposed to now?? not $1200 that is for sure!!!!like i was just quoted... What was the cost of feed in 09???
Pull off your rose colored glasses and figure it out!!!
What did it cost you to put a pound on the calves you sold as opposed to 2011.

By he way did you ever get a handle on who coined the phrase 11th commandment ??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Any progress on proving the harassment claims you made???? Maybe you could have Macon tell us it was true :roll: :roll:
Of course we all know that they were just figments of YOUR imagination :D :D :D without proof you just show that you are a liar which we already know.

Maybe ot's idea of getting out of the mess is for everyone to raise cattle. After all he based his summary of the economy on cattle prices.

Latest posts