• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Soapweed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
I see you asked me in another post if I enjoyed not calving cows. Yes and no. I sure didn't miss it at all when we had all the cold weather we did, I felt sorry for the guys who were dealing with it, though. I still help over at the best friend's when he needs it. Tagging, castrating, moving out pairs. I still get to see a new baby come into the world every now and then, get particularly excited when it's one of our cows he bought from us that calves. And I still get that warm, fuzzy feeling watching that new calf get it's legs working and it finds the teat for the first time. I also still get a kick out of watching the older calves play. OK, I miss my cows!

Shelly said:
I see you asked me in another post if I enjoyed not calving cows. Yes and no. I sure didn't miss it at all when we had all the cold weather we did, I felt sorry for the guys who were dealing with it, though. I still help over at the best friend's when he needs it. Tagging, castrating, moving out pairs. I still get to see a new baby come into the world every now and then, get particularly excited when it's one of our cows he bought from us that calves. And I still get that warm, fuzzy feeling watching that new calf get it's legs working and it finds the teat for the first time. I also still get a kick out of watching the older calves play. OK, I miss my cows!

You summed it up very nicely. Thanks for the report. It is kind of fun watching the little buggers come into the world. The process really hasn't changed since the little "cave calves" started the process eons ago, before the wheel and the crank calf puller were even invented. :wink: :)

Latest posts