• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Some bull calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score

Cow is about 1000#s doing a pretty good job in my opinion

The photo's with the browner grass were taken a week ago the ones with them free grazeing on the hayfield regrowth were a month ago. The cows found the fence down and rotated themselves. Either way the grass is mine on both pieces. We began calveing in mid april and the calves look like they'll make 550 to 600#s by Nov 1st which is my target.

Yep- I always chuckle when one of those 1000 lbers bring in a 600+ lb calf in the fall... Sure convinced me that you don't need to stuff all that feed into those 1500+ lbers to get a good calf....

4Diamond said:
Glad to see someone honestly post that there are 1000 lb cows out there. Looks great

This place is full of 1000# cows a big cow on my place weighs 1300#s.
Neighbors were compareing how much hay they fed last winter one fed 13 - 1300# bales per cow another fed 10 800# bales per cow so then I figured it out and it was 4.73 1100# bales.

My cows don't normally wean the biggest calves but I pay some very large land payments off them.

Profit per cow around here is second thought to braging about heavy weaning weights.

Denny said:
Neighbors were compareing how much hay they fed last winter one fed 13 - 1300# bales per cow another fed 10 800# bales per cow so then I figured it out and it was 4.73 1100# bales.

That's hard to fathom. We feed 200 days at least on a normal year and figure 5 1300# bales is a good safe number to go into the winter with. No pellets and no grain. And it's cold up here. And we don't have any 1000 lb cows.

Silver said:
Denny said:

That's hard to fathom. We feed 200 days at least on a normal year and figure 5 1300# bales is a good safe number to go into the winter with. No pellets and no grain. And it's cold up here. And we don't have any 1000 lb cows.

I would bet we have as harsh as winters here as you do up there it's normal here to feed 200 plus days. Minnesota has alot of humidity even in the winter and that I feel makes the cold feel much colder. We get no such thing as chinooks never gonna happen. We'll go weeks or months without ever getting above 10 fahernheit.If you watch the jet stream for here it normally drops straight south out of Manitoba in the winter.

Funny how I always thought of Canada as a cold place for 6 or 8 months of the year and once I've been on here and see how the jet stream lightens the effect of winter on some folks coming off the ocean.

Denny said:
4Diamond said:
Glad to see someone honestly post that there are 1000 lb cows out there. Looks great

My cows don't normally wean the biggest calves but I pay some very large land payments off them.

Profit per cow around here is second thought to braging about heavy weaning weights.
Glad to hear it! I honestly think some people have no idea what their cows weigh. "Here" a 1500# cow is mud fat and hasn't calved in a couple years.

Latest posts