• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Some Please Inform the Media . . .

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
Jack Kelly: All but won
The media can't see that Iraq is close to secure
Sunday, February 27, 2005

Lt. Col. Jim Stockmoe, chief intelligence officer for the First Infantry Division, roared with laughter as he recalled the increasing missteps of the resistance in Iraq in an interview earlier this month with British journalist Toby Harnden, writing for The Spectator.

Jack Kelly is national security writer for the Post-Gazette and The Blade of Toledo, Ohio ([email protected], 412-263-1476).

"There were three brothers down in Baghdad who had a mortar tube and were firing into the Green Zone," Stockmoe said. "They were storing the mortar rounds in the car engine compartment and the rounds got overheated. Two of these clowns dropped them in the tube and they exploded, blowing their legs off."

The surviving brother sought refuge in a nearby house, but the occupants "beat the crap out of him and turned him over to the Iraqi police," Stockmoe told Harnden, "It was like the movie 'Dumb and Dumber.' "

"The nine election day suicide bombers averaged about three victims each, a strike rate so bad that Allah might soon start rationing the virgins to show his displeasure," Harnden wrote.

Stockmoe has heard so many similar stories that he created an Iraqi version of the "Darwin Awards." Created in 1993 by a student at Stanford University, the Darwin awards commemorate those who "contribute to our gene pool by removing themselves from it in a really stupid way."

The number of insurgent attacks has fallen off significantly since the Fallujah offensive last November, and the attacks that are being made are less effective.

There are about 50-60 attacks a day on coalition forces, about half the pre-Fallujah level. Almost all are within the Sunni Triangle, and most are ineffective. "Most of these are ambush-style attacks that result in no casualties," noted StrategyPage.com.

The news media report the attacks, but tend not to report, as StrategyPage does, that "dozens, sometimes over a hundred, of the attackers, or suspects, are arrested every day."

Unbalanced reporting has given Americans a false impression of how the war is going, said Austin Bay, a retired colonel in the Army Reserve who was called to active duty in Iraq last year.

"Collect relatively isolated events in a chronological list and presto: the impression of uninterrupted, widespread violence destroying Iraq," said Bay, who is also a syndicated columnist. "But that was a false impression. Every day coalition forces were moving thousands of 18-wheelers from Kuwait and Turkey into Iraq, and if the insurgents were lucky, they blew up one. However, flash the flames of that one diesel rig on CNN and 'Oh my God, America can't stop these guys' is the impression left in Boston, Boise and Beijing."

It will be some months before the news media recognize it, and a few months more before they acknowledge it, but the war in Iraq is all but won. The situation is roughly analogous to the battle of Iwo Jima, which took place 60 years ago this month. It took 35 days before the island was declared secure, but the outcome was clear after day five, with the capture of Mt. Suribachi.

Proof of this was provided by Sen. Hillary Clinton. Iraq is functioning quite well, she said in a press conference in Baghdad Feb. 19. The recent rash of suicide attacks is a sign the insurgency is failing, she said.

"When politicians like [Clinton] start flocking to Iraq to bask in the light of its success, then you know that the corner has been turned," a reader of his blog wrote to Bay.

More substantive signs abound. The performance of Iraqi security forces is improving, as are their numbers. Nearly 10,000 men showed up at a southern Iraqi military base Feb. 14 to volunteer for 5,000 openings. Only 6,000 had been expected.

Sunni Arab politicians have admitted they made a big boo-boo in boycotting the Jan. 30 election, and are pleading to be included in the political process. Some ex-Baathists are seeking terms for laying down their arms.

Those who get their news from the "mainstream" media are surprised by developments in Iraq, as they were surprised by our swift victory in Afghanistan, the sudden fall of Saddam Hussein, the success of the Afghan election and the success of the Iraqi election.

Journalists demand accountability from political leaders for "quagmires" which exist chiefly in the imagination of journalists. But when will journalists be held to account for getting every major development in the war on terror wrong?

"Those who get their news from the "mainstream" media are surprised by developments in Iraq, as they were surprised by our swift victory in Afghanistan, the sudden fall of Saddam Hussein, the success of the Afghan election and the success of the Iraqi election."

No mention of the swift capture of Bin Laden unfortunately. After all wasn't that what it was all about in the beginning?

Swift victory in Afghanistan?

Anonymous said:
"Those who get their news from the "mainstream" media are surprised by developments in Iraq, as they were surprised by our swift victory in Afghanistan, the sudden fall of Saddam Hussein, the success of the Afghan election and the success of the Iraqi election."

No mention of the swift capture of Bin Laden unfortunately. After all wasn't that what it was all about in the beginning?

Is that a real question or just another anti-American statement?
Tully posted something on the Bull Session that was real fitting, here it is:

Don't be such A gutless wonder & register for this forum , to make statements on this site whilst hiding behind the title of "guest" is as weak as p :mad: & you are not the only one.
Tully

No I am not the only one but if it helps you sleep you can call me Martha.

Take my post however you want but I intended it as a question that is why I put qestion marks at the end of the sentence.

1. it is not all about one cowardly man, it is about a group of fanatics, commonly refered to as Radical Islamic Terrorists. By focusing on the whole of the problem, not just one leader they can effectively dismantal the al-quiada, and all the rest of the Radical Islamic groups in the process,

If it was just about revenge and getting Osama, our military could lay waste to the entire middle east to get him, (I believe we have sufficiant bombs in reserve to blow the whole region off the map), or continue the calculated hunting of him

2. I believe Swift victory in Afghanistan was evident with it's free elections. But as with every front on a battle field that victory must be maintained.

Osama will be punished for his crimes, this I have faith in our Lord to provide, just as I have faith our military the greatest in the world will arrange for that meeting.

It is easy to overlook the good and focus on the few set backs as the article pointed out, You in fact proved this by your post, just as the media does every day.

Latest posts