• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Soon to be cotton pickin time again in Alabama

Help Support Ranchers.net:

alabama

Reaction score
Soon to be cotton pickin time again in Alabama.

Sprayed cotton defoliant the end of last week and if it ever stops raining we can start pickin again. All the equipment is ready and waiting. All that is left to do is put a few dry days together.
I still have about ½ of my last cutting of hay to cut too. Dang we get busy in the fall.

This is a picture from last year but can't you just smell the defoliant?

Picking_cotton_2008_026_Large_.jpg

I imagine the cotton here is just about ruined. Damp days and frequent showers for about a month now. Somewhere around 10 inches in the last 30 days. Rained somewhere around 12 of those days on the cotton. Sure is growing some good grass. Finally have some to bale if....... I won't speak the unspeakable. :D

I was just watching the news tonight and they were showing the new plague in the SE US. I guess pigweed has become resistant to spray and makes a crop unharvestable? They showed plants about 6 feet tall with stems like baseball bats. You seen anything like that?
They're saying some crops may have to be picked by hand :shock:

Silver said:
I was just watching the news tonight and they were showing the new plague in the SE US. I guess pigweed has become resistant to spray and makes a crop unharvestable? They showed plants about 6 feet tall with stems like baseball bats. You seen anything like that?

I wonder if they could silage that stuff and pick the ready made pill-bottle stuffers out of the cow pies. :???: :p

Silver said:

While we have alot of pigweed and it gets big as you described I have not noticed it in the cotton but then the leaves have not fallen off just yet. I sprayed a lot of it in the garden and pasture with 2-4-d this year and killed it easy.
If we have to pick the cotton by hand it just won't get picked. When faced with a choice of drawing a goverment check or getting a job picking cotton, I wonder what the work force will pick.

burnt said:
yup, it's a busy time of year. I sure enjoy seeing what cotton picking looks like. Keep us posted!

I posted a bunch of pictures last year on here but dang if I can find it now. Prehapes some oj the young folkes can look it up.

I've gone to Alabama the last week of October the last two years but cotton harvest was always already over. I'm heading to California in a couple weeks and was told I'd see allot of cotton there. Looks like some big equipment you guys use.

Yeah, BMr, I recognized the tune . . . :wink:

Kinda like

"When I was a little biddy baby, my momma used to rocka me in the cradle"
In them oooole' cotton fields back home . . ."

leanin' H said:
Tomcats in love?

Canadian loons?

2 Tone Deaf Trubadoors?

Sigfried & Roy up north! (Roy pronounced like the goalie)

Watch it, H. Cuz you're gonna be the intro act and we got the last word . . . :wink:

burnt said:
leanin' H said:
Tomcats in love?

Canadian loons?

2 Tone Deaf Trubadoors?

Sigfried & Roy up north! (Roy pronounced like the goalie)

Watch it, H. Cuz you're gonna be the intro act and we got the last word . . . :wink:

H already has a stage name....... The Strummin' Utahrd :wink:

I'll have to think on one for you two for a while. :D

I got it! I got it!!

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

IF YOU LIKED THE STRUMMIN' UTAHRD

WOULD YOU PLEASE PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER

TO WELCOME

THEEEEEEEE

DUELIN'

DUUMMMMMMMBOS!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cowboy: :dunce:

:tiphat: :wave:

Latest posts