• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sorting gates

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to sort coming out of the squeeze chute? And how many of you sort both directions in the alleyway?

Have a gate that swings by the chute. For instance, if it is a 12 foot gate, the hinges of the gate would be 13-14 foot from the front of the chute and the gate would swing past and the calves would go left or right. If your chute has a side exit, you have a third sorting option right there as well.

I saw a setup all under cover in the Klamath area. The guy had this gate in front of his chute plus the gates down either lane were tied back to the chute area with a system of ropes and pulleys. He could open several on down the way from the chute. I don't remember the latch or the specifics. It was 13 years ago.

I have a gate in front of my chute that hinges about 4 feet back (too far, should be 2 feet) to swing past an animal head. It can close when the chute is not in use or swing either way for opens, culls or whatever. Another set up where a gate is about 15 feet in front of the chute, and I just walk up and set it before I turn out. Like it the best.

Shortgrass said:
I have a gate in front of my chute that hinges about 4 feet back (too far, should be 2 feet) to swing past an animal head. It can close when the chute is not in use or swing either way for opens, culls or whatever. Another set up where a gate is about 15 feet in front of the chute, and I just walk up and set it before I turn out. Like it the best.

My Personal preference is the gate hinges back further. I'm always open to new ideas and am curious as to your reasoning.

The longer gate means the fence itself is back further from the chute and the exit feels more open to her and less intimidating for her to exit in my case.

Good timing Nicky. We had some bulls decide to rearrange a bit of working corral this spring and are going to change our sorting gates in front of the chute. Our plan is a short 8' gate set up on a hinge 10' from the chute front. The extended plan is to put an air cylinder on it with a control beside the chute so the gate can be swung either way with the flip of a switch. The air hose will run back to a compressor in our shop. Our thinking is that air is better than hydraulics for that job, since it has to be pretty cold to freeze air. Just need a couple more months of daylight and no frost to get all this stuff done.

I like the air cylinder idea. Just as long as compressor doesn't have any water in the tank. That might raise heck with your valve switch. We are bad about draining the water from our compressor I know. When dad got a new one for his shop he found a little electric gadget that will pop off ever hour or two for like 3 seconds. We run a hose down to a jug and now don't ever have any water at all in the tank or lines. I know that will help our air tools last lot longer.

I help a guy who has a setup similar to PPRM's. There is a sorting alley that sets in front of the chute, a gate hinges off the corner of it. The angle allows it to close next to the chute yet still allows it to go by a cows head when she is caught. on the other side there is a gate that is the same width as the sorting alley that open into another pen, it will swing around closing off the alley and opening the pen. If for some reason it is needed there is a third option in the sorting alley to pull cows off. So you might say there are 4 possibilities coming out the front of the chute. Main cut goes straight down sorting alley, two sorts right off the chute and one on down the sorting alley.

PPRM said:
Shortgrass said:

My Personal preference is the gate hinges back further. I'm always open to new ideas and am curious as to your reasoning.

The longer gate means the fence itself is back further from the chute and the exit feels more open to her and less intimidating for her to exit in my case.
mine is a 12 ft gate that hinges in the center to swing past the animals head.

Latest posts