• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sounds Familiar Somehow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SASH

Reaction score
Bush to Japan: Cut the beef ban

TOKYO, Mar 10, 2005 (United Press International via COMTEX) -- President Bush has asked Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi to resume imports of U.S. beef, the Mainichi Shumbun reported Thursday.

Bush expressed Washington's irritation with Tokyo's reluctance to lift the beef ban during a telephone conversation with Koizumi Wednesday night.

"I hope (beef) imports will start quickly," Koizumi was quoted as telling Bush. "I cannot say the timing of it. But I hope to make progress on the issue to avoid any harmful effects on our relationship."

Bush had raised the same issue in talks with Koizumi in September last year.

The U.S. president's latest request came at a time when several U.S. politicians are proposing economic sanctions against Japan unless Tokyo resumes U.S. beef imports.

In Japan, government-appointed experts are discussing how to ease inspection regulations on beef imports. If the experts approve of deregulated inspections, Japanese officials will talk with their U.S. counterparts about conditions to resume beef imports.

I love this it is to soon to open the Canadian border but it is way past time to open the US borders. We don't know enough about the science of BSE to open the Canadian border yet but Japan is to take US beef anyway even when Japan sees the US as the same risk that Canada is. Plain and simple do as the US says not as they do. This is a bunch of bull and we all know it. Either the science is there to support all borders to be open or its not. The US thinks it can have its cake and eat it too.

GOVERMENT just has to let Private enterprise go ahead an TEST for BSE and ship beef anywhere.Can't wait till I can BLOOD test my herd FOR BSE.

Tam said:
I love this it is to soon to open the Canadian border but it is way past time to open the US borders. We don't know enough about the science of BSE to open the Canadian border yet but Japan is to take US beef anyway even when Japan sees the US as the same risk that Canada is. Plain and simple do as the US says not as they do. This is a bunch of bull and we all know it. Either the science is there to support all borders to be open or its not. The US thinks it can have its cake and eat it too.

...and since the US is the biggest kid on the block, it can have its cake and eat it too. Look at the long history of trade disputes we have had between us. Softwood lumber tariffs, hog tariffs, wheat marketing, you name it... we can win at NAFTA time and again, but they just keep on with endless appeals or simply refuse to accept the outcome...I wonder where r-calf got their litigious nature?

Tam said:
Either the science is there to support all borders to be open or its not. The US thinks it can have its cake and eat it too.

Tam- explain to me than why the "science" for Japan is different than the "science" for Canada... Could it be that USDA has no real science based for either one?

I talked with some guys that were in Judge Cebulls courtroom the day he issued the injunction- they said that USDA's arguments were so inconsistent, lacking in credibility, and off the wall that it actually inflamed the judge-- they felt that if R-CALF had asked for it in the original injunction, he would have ordered the border shut tight--No beef, boxed or otherways of any age coming across until USDA could prove "any science". They also felt that when it goes to trial he may close it down anyway, because USDA is so far out in left field... Ms. Vennaman did no one - Canadian or American- a favor with her absolute misunderstanding and mishandling of the BSE issue... I think Johanns is much more knowledgeable, but it may take him his term trying to patch together the left over pieces he was left........

Latest posts