• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

speaking of gardens

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
I sure have good luck with the tomato variety called "celebrity"plain ole well water and cow poopa= lotsa tomatoes,whats your favorite..........good luck

HAY MAKER said:
I sure have good luck with the tomato variety called "celebrity"plain ole well water and cow poopa= lotsa tomatoes,whats your favorite..........good luck

I like the "Beefsteak" variety. It's a big old mater that's irregular but shore is juicy and good. I'm gonna put out some more plants next week. Might try some of those celebritys.

Mike said:
HAY MAKER said:

I like the "Beefsteak" variety. It's a big old mater that's irregular but shore is juicy and good. I'm gonna put out some more plants next week. Might try some of those celebritys.

What I like to do is,plant the newest variety every year and "celebrity".When I find one that is better than celebrity,then that becomes my favorite and keep planting the newer ones till that one is bumped,I do the same thing with these cane type grasses,I have tried a lot of tomatoes and that "celebrity"has'nt been bumped yet...........good luck

HAY MAKER said:

You must get a lot of growth with the cow poop - do you prune them back or let them grow out?

Maple Leaf Angus said:
HAY MAKER said:

You must get a lot of growth with the cow poop - do you prune them back or let them grow out?

What I do MLA,is clean pens with tractor loader,pile it up all winter with hay that cows waste from round bales,it cooks all winter and come spring thats what I use for tomato plants ,I plant em in empty syrup tubs with this and nothing else ,and no I dont trim prune ,I do get lot of growth and lots of tomatoes too...........good luck

Speaking of Gardens...............................................

Just came in from the garden with squash, tomatoes, cukes, peppers, green beans, canteloupes, and the first few ears of G-90 sweet corn. :clap:

Mike said:
Speaking of Gardens...............................................

Just came in from the garden with squash, tomatoes, cukes, peppers, green beans, canteloupes, and the first few ears of G-90 sweet corn. :clap:

That's some good eatin,and if you can get some of it the freezer,this winter you have plenty makin's for stew,kill you a fat doe,pretty good eating .............good luck

Our tomatoes are just blooming. We plant our sweet corn with our sunflowers so the coons don't find it.. Man I'm tired...... What is it about turning out bulls that is soooo stressful?

katrina said:
Our tomatoes are just blooming. We plant our sweet corn with our sunflowers so the coons don't find it.. Man I'm tired...... What is it about turning out bulls that is soooo stressful?

It's the "Male" factor. Any time you move a bunch of bulls they start fighting, etc. If you take one out of the bull pasture for a few days and put him back in, they all gang up on him. They act just like teenage boys. I've got some 18 month olds behind my house that fight every afternoon while we are sitting on the back porch. Guess they think they are puttin on a show for us.
Testosterone, Testosterone, Testosterone.

katrina said:

I hear you :!: we tested last week and bringing 30 big bulls into the corral is worrisome. we managed to get them split up , tested and moved back to pasture with out a wreck. Glad to be done that now we just have to turn them out.

Out of 11, we had only one that was high headed. And we put him in a pasture where he won't be getting in to the neighboors. Our herefords were the quietest. Of coarse you would have to be an idiot to mess with them. Gentle giants. Mike, eat a cucumber for me!!!! And Big Muddy be careful. AIing this morning I had a cow try and jump out of the chute, That was interresting. Real gentle cow, just I guess wanted out. I'm sure I stretched her cervex. I had a pretty good grip on her. :D :D Someday I'm going to write a book.
Oh yeah, my hubby fell into the truck last night and banged his leg up pretty good. We were unloading fertilizer to spread on the corn. He always climbs up on the rim of the hoppers and walks around. Well he fell into the hopper. All I could think of was how and the heck was I going to get him out!!! Stuff him out through the bottom with the fertilizer or get the pay loader and get him out that way. He crawled out and walked aroung in a daze. I got him to the house and got him iced down, He's better today.

katrina said:

Coons and sweet corn, eh?

Well, we fixed them here. Our corn patch is right by the house and they would still get into it, so I just strung a strand of electric fence around it about 6" off the ground.

Boy oh boy, I would have liked to have seen the first time they found that wire with their nose!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Do the coon hunters on here get a premium for skins with really curly fur?

:lol:

Hi Maple Leaf, We tried the hot wire thing and it didnt work. I'm joking when I ask do you suppose canadian coons are differant!!!! Whats with the curly fur??? I'm blond or is it gray???? :wink:

The first time we tried it , it didn't work for us either. What I tried the next year was to run two strands about 3 or 4 " apart around the patch; one was hooked to the hot side of the fencer like normal and the other was hooked to the ground side. I think it was just a matter of maikg sure that they were grounded and son of a gun it worked for us. Before that, it seemed hopeless to try to beat them to it.

Does it actually help to plant it in sunflowers?

Oh yeah, I forgot the curly hair part.

If your electricity runs on alternating current, the coons would get curly hair when they get zapped. If you run on direct current, it just gives them a straight perm. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Maple Leaf Angus said:

If your electricity runs on alternating current, the coons would get curly hair when they get zapped. If you run on direct current, it just gives them a straight perm. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Coons down here all have curly hair. :wink:

Mike said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:

Coons down here all have curly hair. :wink:

Bite yer tongue, buddy!

Maple Leaf, You're a Hoot!! :D :D Yes it works to plant in sunflowers. Flowers arn't a big coon drawer or deer either. I will see about the hot wire. We put a radio out there too, but it didn't help. The coons even tore up our indian corn. :mad:
Hope Mike is eating that cucumber for me....And a juicy home grown tomato....

Celebritys are the type of mater that makes all at once so you get plenty to can all at once, they are good too. I also plant Parks Whopper that makes great maters and makes all summer.
My sweet corn should be ready next week. I am eating some young field corn in the mean time.

just got in from checking me garden and pulling the few weeds that are there and despite getting such a LATE (no thanks to the weather) start, the corn and potatoes are doing great!!!! the strawberries need some help, but the rhubarb (that was given to me by some wonderful people) is growing OUT OF CONTROL :wink: :wink: The peonies i planted and the iris i planted last year are doing great, also!! My columbines are coming up and the lilac bushes are leafing out :D My 9 year old is babying the sugar maple (only a baby at 3' tall) he planted last week!! things here are sure greening up and i hope the rest of you are having such good luck!!

Latest posts