• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Specter uses the "I" word

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
"Today on ABC's This Week, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) — who plans to hold hearings on Bush's warrantless domestic spying program — upped the ante. He said that if it is determined that Bush broke the law, both impeachment and criminal prosecution are legitimate remedies:

STEPHANOPOULOS: There was a lot of talk about that at the Alito hearings, and listening closely to you I certainly seem to take away that you believe the president does not have the right, does not have the inherent power under the Constitution to circumvent a constitutional law, and as far as you are concerned, the FISA law is constitutional, isn't it?

SPECTER: Well, I started off by saying that he didn't have the authority under the resolution authorizing the use of force. The president has to follow the Constitution. Where you have a law which is constitutional, like Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, there still may be collateral different powers in the president under wartime circumstances.

That's a very knotty question that I'm not prepared to answer on a Sunday soundbite. But I do believe that it ought to be thoroughly examined. And when we were on the Patriot Act and found the disclosure of the surveillance, I immediately said the Judiciary Committee would hold hearings, and I talked to the attorney general, and we're going to explore it in depth, George. You can count on that.

STEPHANOPOULOS: You know, if the president did break the law or circumvent the law, what's the remedy?

SPECTER: Well, the remedy could be a variety of things. A president — and I'm not suggesting remotely that there's any basis, but you're asking, really, theory, what's the remedy? Impeachment is a remedy. After impeachment, you could have a criminal prosecution, but the principal remedy, George, under our society is to pay a political price."

Well, the non-partisan Congressional Research Service concluded:

"that the administration's justification for the warrantless eavesdropping authorized by President Bush conflicts with existing law and hinges on weak legal arguments."

My, my, a senior Republican Senator used the word "Impeachment" on Bush. My emphasis. The transcript isn't available yet, but I'm smiling.

Impeachment? Get real, dis. You want to talk about a party losing seats in November? Impeach this president for keeping his word to protect the American people and the dumb dems would lose seats by the dozens.

Impeachment? Bring it on!!! :D

"X" there is an old saying.... " be careful what you wish for....you just might get it!"

I do consider the sources...and I'm with Disagreeable most of the time.

Well I'm with X, the dems are just wanting to get revenge for clinton. :lol: :lol: :lol: I say if you got the evidence then let get it on. Problem is their evidence is like those forged documents that dan rather revealed about President Bushs millitary service. They (the libs) have tunnel vision, if they think it will hurt our President then thats the only part they see, it's when they look at the big picture that they end up putting their foot in their mouth. :p :p :p

December 28, 2005–Sixty-four percent (64%) of Americans believe the National Security Agency (NSA) should be allowed to intercept telephone conversations between terrorism suspects in other countries and people living in the United States. A Rasmussen Reports survey found that just 23% disagree.

51% of Democrats believe the NSA should be allowed to listen in on conversations between terror suspects and people living in the United States.

Just 26% believe President Bush is the first to authorize a program like the one currently in the news. Forty-eight percent (48%) say he is not, the first to authorize such programs

but to show how polls can be biased against President Bush,,,,these two were both given in a Democratic county, and at differant points in a survey.....notice the result differance...
Should the president have more or less authority to spy on terrorism suspects?

More
58.4%

Less
40.0%

Don't know
1.6%

Should Congress launch an formal investigation of the domestic spying order signed by President Bush?

Yes
52.8%

No
45.4%

Don't Know
1.9%

So By speculation;... Democrats want to be safe, but only if Bill is doing the watching.. :roll:

mp.freelance said:
Disagreeable said:
The transcript isn't available yet, but I'm smiling.

You lead a sad existence, Dis. Don't you have any other joy in life besides mocking the GOP?

Well, the new calves make me happy. Watching them get up and nurse the first time is a sight to see, not to mention learning to run and buck. But also have time to point out that you sit on the sidelines and cheer as Americans and Iraqis die and our money ($1.1 billion every week) fades away into the sunset. If you think this war is so justified, go to your nearest Army or Marine recruiter and put your life where your mouth is.

X said:
Impeachment? Get real, dis. You want to talk about a party losing seats in November? Impeach this president for keeping his word to protect the American people and the dumb dems would lose seats by the dozens.

Impeachment? Bring it on!!! :D

Dems can't impeach Bush. Republicans run the House and Impeachment must start there. Wait! There's an election coming up! I wonder.....

Some polls says the majority of Americans want Bush impeached if he lied to get us into the Iraqi war. There's also a growing number that say he should be impeached for spying on Americans without a warrant.

There's something about human nature. When we get unhappy with something we look for someone to blame. Americans are turning their back on this war and are starting to look for someone to blame. It's not going to be the Dems.

Steve said:
December 28, 2005–Sixty-four percent (64%) of Americans believe the National Security Agency (NSA) should be allowed to intercept telephone conversations between terrorism suspects in other countries and people living in the United States. A Rasmussen Reports survey found that just 23% disagree.

You are so dishonest, Steve. Of course, most Americans believe the NSA should be allowed to intercept conversations. But when you throw in the "without a warrant" clause, or you say "conversations between Americans, instead of "terrorists", the percentage drops off. And that's what Bush is doing. ROTFLMAO!

Disagreeable said:
Some polls says the majority of Americans want Bush impeached if he lied to get us into the Iraqi war. There's also a growing number that say he should be impeached for spying on Americans without a warrant.
I should ask you to provide links. But I don't really want to be caught visiting those kinds of sites, anyway. I'd hate for that to be in my browser history if the NSA gets caught up recording your phone calls and decides to go through my stuff. :D

Disagreeable said:
There's something about human nature. When we get unhappy with something we look for someone to blame.
:shock: You made 2 complete sentences in a row that I'm having trouble coming up with an argument for, dis. You should save this quote and cherish it always. :lol:

Since I agree with you here, please excuse me while I seek psychiatric help. Maybe you'd like to do the same? :D

Latest posts