• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Spitzer: ‘Citizens United was correct’

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hypocritexposer

Reaction score
video at link

Spitzer explained, as he has before, that the Court's decision is consistent with with the First Amendment.

"Now, having said that, Bill, we rarely disagree. I am with the ACLU [American Civil Liberties Union] on this one. I think as a First Amendment principle, Citizens United was correct."

He told Maher that there is no distinction between some shows on the airwaves — all owned by corporations — and a company's participation in politics through paid advertising.

"Your show is owned by a corporation," Spitzer said to Maher. "You have a First Amendment right. And so I don't know how you distinguish between the New York Times editorial page, The Rachel Maddow Show, George [Stephanopoulos]'s show — all owned by corporations."

"The First Amendment," he reminded Maher, says government "shall pass no law abridging the right of speech."

"Doesn't say by anybody. It says speech. I don't care whose speech it is. The ACLU agrees with me, and Larry Lessig, great academic, on this. So this is a more textured issue. It has done horrific things to politics. But as a First Amendment issue, it's a much more complicated issue."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/18/eliot-spitzer-bucks-liberal-orthodoxy-citizens-united-was-correct/#ixzz1mrAcijC8

Latest posts