• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Spring storm

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WB

Reaction score
I hope everyone stays safe while battling the coming storm. Things are going to get a little dicey with snow on top of mud. Green grass is the eventual hope.

We are in the early stages of a storm now. Rain and plenty of wind through the night and morning with cold air and snow coming tonight. Glad my cows are where they have lots of shelter. Hunker down and be safe as it heads your way. And I hope the grass will get a kick start out of the moisture.

If plenty of time to prepare, and many people doing all they can to prepare......this storm should only cause grass to grow! But, I'm not delusional, so fear IF it materializes as severely as predicted, it will be tough on livestock of all ages in a large area.

Snow amounts are projected anywhere between 6" and 2' or more to the north and west of our location a few miles north of I-90 exit 170, about 120 miles se of Rapid City, SD.

Weather Channel says it will begin with rain here at about midnight tonight, with temp. of 41%, then turn to snow about 6AM and keep at that till sometime Saturday, mixing in strong winds.

Hopefully, after all the preparations across the storm area, that weather front will just decide "this is no fun"....and blow on through without dropping much snow!. Supposed to be in the 35% range and sunny by Sunday, so hope that is the worst it gets, but sure don't need many inches of that stuff if the rain drenches things first, and the winds are strong, too. I'm getting too old even to witness that kind of storms, let along have family out in it, with me here worrying for everyone affected.

mrj

Faster horses said:
It hasn't amounted to much here in NE Wy, at the foot of the Big Horn Mountains. Mostly just some wind, no snow. The forecasters called for 6 to 12". I hope others fared as well.
What did you wind up getting mrj?
.33 inch of rain last night , just spitting snow off and on today.

It missed us almost completely. Got a bunch of wind and a few little rain squalls. That's what I get for scattering fertilizer on my lawn! :???: Been fencing all day in a 30-30 kind of day.....30 degrees and a 30mph wind. Its been mostly miserable.

getting a little snow this evening.... chased a few cows into a lot with open faced shed. get me 100s of acres in a pasture and cow has to lay on top of a steep creek bank...never found the calf , just the slide it made thru the snow down to the creek...

jodywy said:
getting a little snow this evening.... chased a few cows into a lot with open faced shed. get me 100s of acres in a pasture and cow has to lay on top of a steep creek bank...never found the calf , just the slide it made thru the snow down to the creek...

That's terrible Jody, but not terribly surprising. If we do it long enough we'll see all sorts of things.

I fished three out of a creek last week, one in time. The drafts are going ok. We moved those cows Tuesday. Find out tomorrow if trees in the pivot corner help. I wish grass and hay didn't cost calves....

Haytrucker said:
I fished three out of a creek last week, one in time. The drafts are going ok. We moved those cows Tuesday. Find out tomorrow if trees in the pivot corner help. I wish grass and hay didn't cost calves....

That is so valid for so much 'cattle country'! And is just one reason Shorty so often says "we live in a 'next year country' and are in a 'next year' business!

Don't have much idea how much of either snow or rain we got. It came mostly sideways! Don't believe there was much rain, but the snow is pretty heavy and wet. Probably more than 6 inches, so far. It is almost clear right now, but more is predicted overnight.

Pretty nasty for baby calves out there. It wasn't exactly an order, but mid-afternoon, Shorty told our crew it would be wisest to go to the house and get rested up to get out early in the morning. It just seemed going to put out more feed or pick up a calf might upset the cows and cause them to roam when the might be better off to stay put.

Always hard to make those calls, but it was also to the point the 'going' would soon be dangerous when evening added limited daylight to the blowing snow.

mrj

Exactly what we did about noon. We had done all we could, or see to do. We have to fight another day, lot of folks in the same boat.

Relatively beautiful day today. Probably got about 6" snow. Temp this am was about 20%, and now 35% likely high for the day, with only 7% predicted for tomorrow AM.

First report I heard from our crew was at least ten dead calves. The rescue and revive and feeding continues, and I've not heard from anyone since then. Guess 'lunch' will be 'whenever'. I do see a bit of a breeze winding up, and the snow on the hills across the creed is settling into the ground. What little grass there is is sticking up a little now. Guess most snow blew into the draws and gullies. Time will tell if the benefits of moisture outweigh the losses of calves. Maybe we will be changing to even later calving dates, since both heifers and cows seem to have 'jumped the gun' on their due dates this year.

Good calving dates are debatable here, since we can get calf killing blizzards well into May.....as well as cow killing heat if they have a tough delivery on a hot day even in mid-May.

mrj

mrj said:
Relatively beautiful day today. Probably got about 6" snow. Temp this am was about 20%, and now 35% likely high for the day, with only 7% predicted for tomorrow AM.

First report I heard from our crew was at least ten dead calves. The rescue and revive and feeding continues, and I've not heard from anyone since then. Guess 'lunch' will be 'whenever'. I do see a bit of a breeze winding up, and the snow on the hills across the creed is settling into the ground. What little grass there is is sticking up a little now. Guess most snow blew into the draws and gullies. Time will tell if the benefits of moisture outweigh the losses of calves. Maybe we will be changing to even later calving dates, since both heifers and cows seem to have 'jumped the gun' on their due dates this year.

Good calving dates are debatable here, since we can get calf killing blizzards well into May.....as well as cow killing heat if they have a tough delivery on a hot day even in mid-May.

mrj
was told to calve when the elk calve.... that would have been june.... but my thoughts the elk were a thousand feet or more higher when they calve

We thankfully rode the storm out on the south end. Warmed one calf early, that perked right up. Never found a mom for it, thinking ghost twin maybe. Only one cow with a full bag by dark, should have a 4-10 calf. If that is the only one we find I call it a win. Nasty weather, we'll invent a mom for the stray. Hoping for as good of outcome for everyone else... For perspective, mrj, that one is out of 150 ish, in that group. The 36 pairs we got to the spring ranch weathered fine, not sure about the feedlot bunch. Going N to mass treat their calves tomorrow. Get them straightened out in time to start doctoring here I suppose. Gotta love April.

Latest posts