• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Squeeze Chutes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We have an old Fore Most manual squeeze chute but seriously thinking about a Hydraulic squeeze chute, probably a Silencer.

Have a good one, about 97 degrees here with a 20 to 30 mile an hour wind. Browning up pretty fast.

Lazy ace

we use a W-W, it has an automatic head catch. works pretty good but the only part i don't like is that head knocking handle that is used to make it squeeze. i make a set of wheels for it and they work very good.

i like the looks of the new priefert (sp?) but not the $3,100 price tag. considering i only gave $1,600 for the W-W about four years ago and now the same chute is $2,600.

G3

WE have three...ONe is a good sized Stronghold, that is our main squeeze. Has a scale in it and is portable... It is too tall for someone under 5 10 to operate very easily. No problem for me but my wife and any vet that we use has a bit of trouble. I also dislike their rear gate... Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Lots of room in it for bigger cows... To big for little calves... Fun...

We also have a smal formost. Also on wheels, we own this one with a neighbor. We use it for calves and for most cows during the summer. Used t have an automatic headgate until someone tried to run a bull through. He got stuck, he broke the darn thing so we bought a new headgate for it with the agreement that the person who ran the bull through wouldn't do it again. I really like Foremost chutes... The big one we used was great (It was a vets). Would buy that before another stronghold.

Finally I have a Stronghold calving chute... For as much as the big one drives me nuts this one works great... But not really for working cows.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I really like my Stampede hydraulic. their manual version looks good to.

There were Stampede chutes, both manual and hydraulic, on display at the recent Sandhills Cattle Association convention. They looked good to me, as did their alley-way, and special tub design. If I was in the market for a new chute, I would look pretty closely at the Stampede brand.

frenchie said:
Thanks guys do any these chutes you mentioned have a nose guard to secure the head so it can not move.

Our Stampede doesn't. I don't know if they make one now. Our Old Ranger{!955 model} did have a great head holder thet we used to dehorn thousands of yearlings over the years.

Our Stampede has neck extenders that worked not to bad to dehorn a few yearlings. but it wasn't as good as our old chute.

About 2 years ago up at Thedford Pearson started putting a lengthwise pipe in the walkway of thesteer about 2 feet high to hold the calf from laying down and occluding bloodflow at the headgate. A great development indeed. A year ago Silence started the same thing. I'm not sure who originated the standup pipe, but its healpfulcheap and easily installed in any chute.

Brad S said:
About 2 years ago up at Thedford Pearson started putting a lengthwise pipe in the walkway of thesteer about 2 feet high to hold the calf from laying down and occluding bloodflow at the headgate. A great development indeed. A year ago Silence started the same thing. I'm not sure who originated the standup pipe, but its healpfulcheap and easily installed in any chute.

Stampede has that now as well. Never used one but I have worked enough black cows to wish I had it.

I have a Payson chute I think it is a copy of Pearson.

It has verticle head catch and even is the animal kneels or falls it can't choke.

I have caught from 300 pound calves to 2500 pound bulls in it.

One thing I like to do is train all our heifers to push forward out of the chute. Makes it easier when they are caught each time we A.I. preg check etc.

Brad S said:

Brad S ..Do you know if that interfers with taking a cow out the side of a chute..

We have a Morand and we like it alot. But I have heard the Stampede's can't be beat. Didn't know about them when we bought the Morand, or
we would have looked them over really well. Outside of the Stampede and a hydraulic, we are very pleased with the Morand. It is tough,
has a scale under it, the automatic headcatch never fails and the back gate is on rollers so a 3 year old can work it.

Jason said:
I have a Payson chute I think it is a copy of Pearson.

It has verticle head catch and even is the animal kneels or falls it can't choke.

I have caught from 300 pound calves to 2500 pound bulls in it.

One thing I like to do is train all our heifers to push forward out of the chute. Makes it easier when they are caught each time we A.I. preg check etc.

Jason heres a Pearson Pic..friend of mine sayes 2W chutes are also a Pearson copy

pearson_sq.jpg

I have been using an old powder river schute that has worked very well except for the fact that you really have to watch that they don't choke. Just tonight I traded for a ww with an automatic head catch as I have used these before and really like them.

Have 3 powder rivers, never fails. I'm used to the overhead levers so not an issue for me. They are all manual and at places with no power.
A friend has a preifert and we junked it. We kept hitting our shins on the squeeze pedal. The friction system slips when it get's bloody or rained on. Also, had cows putting feet between head catch and squeeze hurting their feet.
He replaced it with a stampede and loves it, but only have one season on it. I haven't worked it though.
Have a lot of friends with hydraulics and swear by them, so it comes down to your budget and preference. Good luck.

We have a Stampede tub with a self catch head gate. They build things well.

Don't know if they've figured it out yet (ours is about four years old), but the way they were making those self catch head gates at that time was catching cattle and pinching their front leg above the hoof and below the first joint.

Never broke a leg but sure lamed up a few cattle. All we had to do to fix the problem was cut a pipe out and lower it about two inches.

I've A'I'ed in pretty much all of them and the Stampede is about the best-that sternum bar really stops black cows from burying their heads-the only knock on them is the back up bar is too low-cows can AND WILL kick over it lol.

We have a WW chute with OB gate in the back. But we took the head gate off that came on it, and it has a preifert on there now. The chute is old, but it works good. Lil WD40 on the hinges before working ever time and it does a good job. The only complaint I have is that gap that was mentioned before. in the front, where their front hooves can get stuck. I don't know what we'll do, but that WILL be fixed before the next cow workin. Just the other day, when we trimmed heifer heads one got her foot caught in there, and she limped around for a couple days. That's somethin that can be avoided with a short amount of work to fix that. From different chutes we've looked at over the years, they all have gaps and spaces cows can get hung up in. Looks like the companies would see that and remedy it before it goes on the market.

The Payson is a verticle squeez mechinism with straight head catch bars like the Pearson. The Pearson looks heavier, and I don't see the squeeze bar on the side like the Payson.

I traded a load of wheat for mine a few years back, I think the price was $1600 brand new. Anyway I'd never trade back to just a headgate. Having the floor as part of the chute is key, as well as a front gate that they can't choke in.

Latest posts