• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

SRM Removal Guidelines

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
I thought we weren't splitting carcasses over 30 months because of spinal cord contamination?
From the FSIS website:

Types of questions inspection program personnel may seek answers to while verifying that an establishment is properly executing its procedures to remove, segregate, and dispose of SRMs.

1. Is the establishment properly implementing its procedures to segregate animals 30 months of age and older?

NOTE: If the establishment identifies in its hazard analysis that all cattle will be considered 30 months of age and older, it is not necessary for the establishment to have evidence about the proof of the age of the cattle.

2. Is the establishment properly implementing its written procedures to remove, segregate, and dispose of SRMs?

3. Is the establishment cleaning and sanitizing equipment, (e.g., cleaning and sanitizing the splitting saw prior to use on cattle younger than 30 months if used after slaughtering cattle 30 months of age and older)?

4. Is the establishment maintaining daily records sufficient to document the implementation and monitoring of the procedures for the removal, segregation, and disposition of SRMs?

5. Is the establishment including documentation with the shipped products identifying them as from cattle 30 months and older? Has it considered this step in its hazard analysis? Does it have procedures to ensure that the SRMs are removed at the receiving establishment?

6. Is the establishment routinely evaluating the effectiveness of their procedures for the removal, segregation, and disposition of SRMs in preventing the use of these materials for human food?

7. If an establishment determines that its process failed to remove SRMs, inspection program personnel are to verify that the establishment implements corrective actions in accordance with 9 CFR 417.3(a) or (b) (under HACCP), 9 CFR 416.15 (under Sanitation SOPs). If the procedures are under a prerequisite program, inspection program personnel are to verify that the establishment reassesses the HACCP plan to determine whether the decisions made in the hazard analysis continue to support the use of the prerequisite program.

8. Is the establishment taking appropriate immediate and further planned action when it identifies that it failed to properly implement its procedures (e.g., recordkeeping).

/s/ Philip S. Derfler

This is common problem in Slaughterhouses world-wide, where the production line is not stopped to disinfect the tools of the trade as the line then would slow down. The bottom line is the almighty "Golden Rule" and will not be compromised for the sake of cleaning the tools from one animal to the next unless that animal is dead on arrival at the facility. Anyone who thinks otherwise should visit their neighborhood slaughterhouse and watch how it is really done. Ron.

bse-tester said:
This is common problem in Slaughterhouses world-wide, where the production line is not stopped to disinfect the tools of the trade as the line then would slow down. The bottom line is the almighty "Golden Rule" and will not be compromised for the sake of cleaning the tools from one animal to the next unless that animal is dead on arrival at the facility. Anyone who thinks otherwise should visit their neighborhood slaughterhouse and watch how it is really done. Ron.

The "Golden Rule" I know is:

He who has the "GOLD...............RULES".

Big Muddy rancher said:
Remember our plants that expoprt can't kill over otm and utm in same plants.

I thought I had heard you say that BMR. Wassup with us being able to?

Big Muddy rancher said:

I think Mike was referring to US plants that don't follow the rules. After all, US feed plants still mix ruminant remains into cattle feed.

redriver said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I think Mike was referring to US plants that don't follow the rules. After all, US feed plants still mix ruminant remains into cattle feed.

Are you thure? :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

Latest posts