• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

stevec--Fear vs. Self Defense

Help Support Ranchers.net:

theHiredMansWife

Reaction score
You seem to hold the basic idea that our fears govern a great deal of our choices. And to a philosophic extent, I agree with that.

My husband runs a ranch for an out of state investor who also happens to have a farm here. The two are connected, but operate separately.
The farm has recently been "cleaning house". The new manager has brought in one new guy so far and just got rid of the two lazy SOBs that were still here from the previous regime.

This Wednesday, one of the disgrunted ex-employees was on the place making trouble. Later that morning, the mgr called my husband wondering where the new guy was.
No one has seen him since Tuesday evening. A stereotypical bachelor, eveything he owns will fit in his duffle bag. Which is still in his living room. He gave the farm secretary $100 Tuesday afternoon to pick him up a lamp, alarm clock, groceries etc. All of his clothes are accounted for, except the stuff he would have had on. The only thing missing is his work pickup (which used to be the disgruntled ex-employee's).
His folks back home haven't heard from him and are worried.

He's an odd duck, like a lot of guys in this business are, but a nice enough person. We're all actually praying that he stole the pickup and it'll turn up somewhere down the road.

The lesser half has taken to leaving his rifle leaning against the seat, barrel on the floor, rather than behind him in the gun rack of the pickup. I have the shotguns in different closets throughout the house with several shells near each one.

But I got to thinking about your fear-premise as I was hunting for the keys to my house and rounding up shells.
You're right. This is a fear reaction. And by trying to protect my children and family with a shotgun, in reality I'm just hoping the person threatening me will have a greater fear than I do.
In Freudian terms, I'm operating at the id level. But truth be told, I'm okay with that.

I'm on that same wave length HMW since I got robbed here on the farm.

Ya don't like to take that " angle" in your life...but sometimes you gotta look out for yourself as no one else can/will/or is able to do that for you.

Until you experience it, that feeling of being invaded/violated, no matter how big or small the infraction may be, it's still the same feeling and hard to convey to others.

What a load!!!!! Especially the part about fear causing violence. Maybe so, but it also motivates others to take action to change their circumstances.....work harder or smarter for instance.

But who started this chain reaction? It was your husband's employer.

I would disagree. (And my husband's employer didn't know about it one way or the other, btw, it was soley up to the farm manager)
The employee was hired to do a job. An agreement. A job performed and in return he recieved wages.
He recieved his wages. He recieved them long after he broke his end of the agreement and would only do minimal labor. For several years, he continued to recieve the wages of someone hired to do a more thorough job. The manager decided that if he were going to paying good wages, he was going to find someone who was willing to do good work.

The employee in question had two months worth of notice to get himself up to snuff. He chose not to.
confused-smiley-013.gif

IF we could all just take responsibility for our own actions, it would help a lot; just as HMW mentioned happened there. In this country everyone tries to blame someone else for what happens to them (As Stevec tried to put the blame on someone blameless. This isn't a welfare ranch, it is a ranch were you have to produce something for the owner to keep you on. Sounds to me like he was more than fair in his dealings.) Have you ever hired an employee, Stevec? Perhaps you need to walk in the employers moccasins to understand.

If the employee took responsibility for his own actions, HWM wouldn't have to be afraid.

And Stevec, of course I only read 1/16 of what you wrote, but you never have a solution. You just blame and criticise and ramble...people everywhere do the best they can for what they know. And all your posting isn't going to change anything. Do you think you could just stop and give it a rest for awhile?

In the US we have the opportunity to excel or fail. Some lose some win. Some have determination, some do not. You are not going to change that.

I have the shotguns in different closets throughout the house with several shells near each one.

a better tactic may be to load the gun using a light powder salt load in the first shell....

the salt load will hurt alot....and give fair warning......

but just remember .....it might not kill or maim him but a salt load will still do some harm.

Again, I didn't read all that you posted, but if you have no answers, what is your point to keep going and going and going...

You really should try living in a different state. Perhaps that would give you a different prespective. Do you feel hemmed in? Do you feel llike you are all alone in the world? Do you feel like that place is home to you? Do you yearn for something different (obviously)? Have you thought about getting out of 'your comfort zone'? Have you considered another place to reside? Have you traveled throughout our great land to see what is there? Have you met people from different areas to give you a different view on things? Do you realize that we don't feel the same as you and there must be a reason? Do you think it could possibly have something to do with the state in which you reside? Do you have hobbies? Or is your hobby trying to get someone(s) to understand you? Do you think you will ever get through to anyone? Do you really want to? Do you think you will ever give up on it? Do you think you can make the world a better place with all your rambling? Do you realize this post is going in circles like yours do?

Tiresome, isn't it?

HMW,
How far south weat of the sandhills are you?? Be very careful if you shoot someone. Make sure they are in the house. IF not, you could be in big trouble. I worked on a ranch north of Gordon and when I was by myself we had a loaded gun. But the rule was make sure they were in the house... Best thing is to get the law involved, Taking the law into your hands can really be a bad thing....... Although like Steve said salt and a shot gun can really put the run to em......

Fact: We need our guns in cases of this nature, to protect ourselves and our families.

Fact: The Liberal agenda is to take away our guns.

Question: Why do two of the most liberal people on this board continue to follow the Liberal ideologies, when at this point in time, those are the two people most in need of guns for their very protection? :???: :?

Our local sheriff told me not to " tear up" the local thief...but to make the shot " count" as you got less time for murder than agg. assault!!!

Of course, our sheriff is afraid to come out from behind thiat big ol' desk of his........ :twisted:

Stevec, I have read enough in the past that I don't need to completely read your posts anymore. They are a waste of time, IMO. And did you read my post with all the questions? Did that help you understand you are a man consumed by words...and they spew forth...and do no good...

BTW, I have never figured out the message~I know your thoughts, but NOT THE MESSAGE.

So if we don't follow you word by word, we are ignorant?

Have you ever heard of educated idiots?

I ws once told by a cop and his lawyer wife, that shooting an intruder was totally legal IF he died in the house. shooting him in the house and he runs out and dies in the yard is harder to prove as self defense.....

lesson, kill em in the house, or drag them back in !

Bingo! jigs...already taken that under advisement and have known that for many yrs now.

Such a pity though that the laws really are sculpted to protect the crooks...and we're all kinda on our own.

kolanuraven said:
Bingo! jigs...already taken that under advisement and have known that for many yrs now.

Such a pity though that the laws really are sculpted to protect the crooks...and we're all kinda on our own.

I'd think you'd like it that way kolanuraven, as it was the liberals who got the laws to act that way. :roll:

Now don't throw me under the political bus!!! :) :)

Just because I like liberal aspects doesn't mean I " pack dog" up under the banner of LIBERAL, just for the sake of the name. :) :)

I should hope I've made that pretty clear with many posts. I try to use my common sense for my situation...

But it is true that honest folk have the short end of the stick against crooks!!

I should take a pic of my new signs.....but they say.....

No Trespassing.....Trespassers will be shot....survivors will be shot again!

The local law wasn't too impressed with it....but I am surprised someone hasn't stolen them yet!!! Ah......but the weekend isn't over yet!!!

Soapweed said:
Fact: We need our guns in cases of this nature, to protect ourselves and our families.

Question: Why do two of the most liberal people on this board continue to follow the Liberal ideologies, when at this point in time, those are the two people most in need of guns for their very protection? :???: :?

I tend to think of myself as liberal minded not so much as with the Liberal party. I try to be open minded look at situations from various sides. However I support capital punishment and I also believe in the right to have guns. Maybe I shouldn't say liberal but open minded?

CattleRMe said:
Soapweed said:

I tend to think of myself as liberal minded not so much as with the Liberal party. I try to be open minded look at situations from various sides. However I support capital punishment and I also believe in the right to have guns. Maybe I shouldn't say liberal but open minded?

Way to go. I believe that being open minded is about a noble a trait as one can be labeled with. I pride myself in being openminded, and get this..... I've allways voted Tory, because I believe most of my values are Tory in nature. But aligning oneself with a political affiliation and then mindlessly following the party line is a bit revolting isn't it?

Latest posts