• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Straw poll results

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Steve

Reaction score
Place Candidate Votes Percentage
1 Michele Bachmann 4,823 28.5%
2 Ron Paul 4,671 27.6%
3 Tim Pawlenty 2,293 13.6%
4 Rick Santorum 1,657 9.8%
5 Herman Cain 1,456 8.6%
6 Rick Perry (write-in) 718 4.3%
7 Mitt Romney 567 3.4%
8 Newt Gingrich 385 2.3%
9 Jon Huntsman 69 0.4%
10 Thaddeus McCotter 35 0.2%

I was surprised Ron Paul did as well considering his "Iran should be allowed to have a nuclear bomb" comment..

Steve said:
Place Candidate Votes Percentage
1 Michele Bachmann 4,823 28.5%
2 Ron Paul 4,671 27.6%
3 Tim Pawlenty 2,293 13.6%
4 Rick Santorum 1,657 9.8%
5 Herman Cain 1,456 8.6%
6 Rick Perry (write-in) 718 4.3%
7 Mitt Romney 567 3.4%
8 Newt Gingrich 385 2.3%
9 Jon Huntsman 69 0.4%
10 Thaddeus McCotter 35 0.2%

I was surprised Ron Paul did as well considering his "Iran should be allowed to have a nuclear bomb" comment..

Bachmann in first really wasn't surprising :lol: and it will put a big boost to her campaign, and after what Pawlenty tried to do to Bachmann I'm glad she beat him with twice the % that he had, it served him right. But I have to say a third place will keep him in even after his bad showing in the debate.

I'm with you on Ron Paul :roll: but they were saying he had a very loyal base, but it's not big enough to get him over the hump and into the winners circle. And after his IRAN comment I sure hope they are right.

The Biggest shock is front runner ROMNEY IN 7TH., :shock: WOW this has got to be a big blow to his campaign.

What is the connection between young people and Ron Paul??

Not that I am against that- I am just shocked. The last few days I've worked a couple different political booths @ our county fair and the 18-25 year olds LOVE Ron Paul- why? They LIKE Michell Bachman but the LOVE Ron Paul!

As far as I know Ron hasn't done anything special to target the youth, but somehow they get his message. I have asked lots of them why- none can really give an answer though- they are just somehow drawn to him.

Does anybody have any ideas why??

Young voters like the idea of "Libertarianism" and it's agenda of "Freedom". It's a rebellion against the same-o, same-o.

Plus "Freedom" just sounds downright sexy? :lol:

Pawlenty is out, his results in the straw poll finished him and his Campaign. This surprises me but I hope a few more take his lead so we can weed out a few and get to the serious candidates. I just wish Paul wasn't so far up in the poll. He scares me with his Iran talk and Youth support, the youth supported Obama and that has not worked out so good.

Mike said:
Young voters like the idea of "Libertarianism" and it's agenda of "Freedom". It's a rebellion against the same-o, same-o.

Plus "Freedom" just sounds downright sexy? :lol:

I am not sure that is quite it though Mike-
I am talking about well dressed, (ok pants pulled up) well groomed, working either at a job or college or both, that do not seem to have a rebelious bone in their body towards "proper" authority. Rather it seems to be more of a "instinct" for lack of a better word. They inwardly know right from wrong, good from evil, and want to be able to make choices for themselves- they do NOT want government to take those choices away.
Maybe it is because they have just gained their Independence?? They are not ready to give that up yet and turn it over to someone else. They are not all tied up yet in kids and sport practice schedule etc. they are paying more attention to what is going on that lots of adults busy with supporting the family and making the payments each month.

Lonecowboy said:

Not that I am against that- I am just shocked. The last few days I've worked a couple different political booths @ our county fair and the 18-25 year olds LOVE Ron Paul- why? They LIKE Michell Bachman but the LOVE Ron Paul!

As far as I know Ron hasn't done anything special to target the youth, but somehow they get his message. I have asked lots of them why- none can really give an answer though- they are just somehow drawn to him.

Ron Paul wants the US to mind their own business and let everyone else do as they please.. a concept that resonates with the young.

Lonecowboy said:

Interesting, because my wife and I just had that same conversation, Lc. We decided that maybe it had something to do with Paul's anti-war stance.

Many of the young people are anti-war - and rightfully so, since they're the ones that have to actually fight them. Ron Paul is the only predictable candidate for a conservative young person to support if they don't like the idea of going to war.

Texan said:
Lonecowboy said:

Interesting, because my wife and I just had that same conversation, Lc. We decided that maybe it had something to do with Paul's anti-war stance.

Many of the young people are anti-war - and rightfully so, since they're the ones that have to actually fight them. Ron Paul is the only predictable candidate for a conservative young person to support if they don't like the idea of going to war.

Remember how the libs were scared of RR. They thought RR was going to have us in an all out war.

Steve said:
Lonecowboy said:

Ron Paul wants the US to mind their own business and let everyone else do as they please.. a concept that resonates with the young.

Yep- that - and Paul believes many of the social issues (gay issues, abortion, drugs, education, most criminal law, etc. etc.) should not even be Federal issues- and should be left to the states to decide and handle...

One of the reason I supported Paul in 08...

Even old Rudy can see thats part of the division that shot down the Repubs in 08....Especially when Palin joined the ticket...

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who is considering another presidential run, urged Republicans on Sunday "to get the heck out of people's bedrooms and let these things get decided by states."

"We'd be a much more successful political party if we stuck to our economic, conservative roots," Giuliani told CNN.

Oldtimer said:
Steve said:
Lonecowboy said:

Yep- that - and Paul believes many of the social issues (gay issues, abortion, drugs, education, most criminal law, etc. etc.) should not even be Federal issues- and should be left to the states to decide and handle...

One of the reason I supported Paul in 08...

Even old Rudy can see thats part of the division that shot down the Repubs in 08....Especially when Palin joined the ticket...

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who is considering another presidential run, urged Republicans on Sunday "to get the heck out of people's bedrooms and let these things get decided by states."

"We'd be a much more successful political party if we stuck to our economic, conservative roots," Giuliani told CNN.

Tea Partiers are the ones that want these issues handled by the states and not the Feds.

Once again OT agrees with those he likes to demonize :lol: :lol:

Once again oldtimer is criticizing the repubs for worrying about peoples bedrooms, Imagine that the KING of downed zippers condemning any one on sexual issues, If one was to post a liink to every post oldtimer has made about someone in some sort of sexual action, there would not be much bandwidth left!!!!

I worry about guys like oldtimer who has such an obsession with things like that.

Latest posts