• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Suggestions for a round baler

Help Support Ranchers.net:

meat_fire

Reaction score
I have a Vermeer 605 F I have had for several years. I am thinking about upgrading, The 605 F has been good, but seems like little things go wrong pretty often and belts are not in the best of shape. I also tried to bale some milo stalks this year and had a heck of time baling. Sometimes it would be hard to start, other times they would start ok, but jam at the feeder right in the middle of a bale and I was going in 1st and 2nd gear, Usually I bale in 4th. I have a INT 1066, so plenty of power. The stalks were not crimped, just cut with a disc cutter, not sure if this caused any issues or not. All the above is why I am considering another baler. I do not bale that much but I work about 65 to 80 hours a week outside of ranching so need something to go when I can do it and weather cooperates.

I am thinking about a JD 535 or staying with a Vermeer 605 super J or super K. I know both JD and Vermeer are good balers and they are the 2 most used in this area ( north east Texas) Dealer support is about the same, maybe a slight edge to JD.
Some of the things I am wondering:
1: will both the JD 535 and Vermeer Super J or K bale milo stalks ok?
2: which one is easier to work on, I know with any baler, any make, there will have to be some repairs made. I can do some myself but by no means I am a mechanic, so ease to work on is a big plus
3: Will both type of balers bale multi of hay: ryegrass, clover, Bermuda grass, hay grazer, milo stalks, dallias grass, and also dry hay to high moisture hay
4: Will both require a computer monitor or can they be run with out one. Pro and cons to monitor
5: I know there is a big debate about netwrap VS twine, any pro or con to either baler, I think I would like to have the option to netwrap.
6: Bales/ton per hour, are they about the same for both?
7:and finally any Pro con for any baler or any others I have not considered, but should .

Thanks for any comments, ideas or thoughts

Have a JD 566 , not much different than 535 seems to bale just about anything. Long course hay or short straw (baled behind rotory combine)doesn"t seem to mater. Neighbour has 567 with net wrap and blows the doors off my machine when tying. He covers at least 30% more ground in a day when in a good hay crop.Spread between twine and wrap price seems to have narrowed in the last 2 years.Baler with wrap kit likely worth the extra investment. :)

Latest posts